Skip to main content

Review Time! Saving Mr. Banks

Sooo I saw Saving Mr. Banks today with my mom and my Nana, and I thought I would share it with everyone.

From what I got from the trailers of this movie was that it was about how the movie Mary Poppins got made and that the author of the books, Emma Thompson's character Pamela Travers, was not the easiest person to work with. That was true, but it was more than that story all together...

To me, it was like 3 different stories telling what Mary Poppins meant to them I guess. We get to see the story of a young girl who loved her father very much, Pamela's struggle to keep this movie the way that she wants, and Walt Disney's struggle to Disney-fy the film and Pamela herself. Pamela Travers was a very distant woman who was sort of grumpy and incredibly hard to work with. She changed every plan that the writers and the lyricists made up, she thought that Dick Van Dyke was completely wrong for Burt, she didn't want the movie to be a musical and didn't want to go to Disneland or anything. Emma Thompson seems like a very nice lovely person and I think it's kind of funny that she was playing someone so grouchy. Also that the woman that wrote Mary Poppins was so grouchy! It was just great.

Now the story does go a little deeper than that. The Mr. Banks character in Mary Poppins was really the most important character to Pamela and the story of her as a little girl goes into that very nicely. It was very sad and very lovely and the type of heart-filled story that will make you tear up. I don't want to go into great detail about that, but the movie is called Saving Mr. Banks... so clearly that character is of great importance.

The casting of this movie was absolutely phenomenal! Tom Hanks and Emma Roberts are two of the best actors today, so naturally a movie with them would be fantastic. BJ Novak and Jason Shwartzman were an amazing pair to play the composers, the Sherman brothers. Colin Firth was in it as well and he was surprisingly great in it, I think the only other movie I'd ever seen him in was Horrible Bosses because all of his movies just looked pretty bad! His acting in this was absolutely amazing and I would definitely watch another movie with him in it just based on this. And another of my favorite actors who is probably the most underrated actor in Hollywood, Paul Giamatti was in it as well and he was amazing. Definitely the most fantastic cast.

And it is a sad story. I thought "well how sad could it be. Mary Poppins got made and was fantastic and jolly" but it is a bit of a tearjerker. I don't think I actually cried, but there were at least 3 times in the movie where I was about too and it was really really emotional. Overall it was uplifting though and its something that will make you feel really good once you walk out of the movie theater.

So yes, that is it. I'm trying to see more movies because going to the movies is just so fun and I really love doing it. I've also been watching some movies that have been out in theaters already and are on amazon/netflix or on demand now... I haven't been reviewing those because they're a bit older and if you really wanted to see it you probably have by now, but if I watch enough I may review them all together just to have something a little different.

Also if there are any really good trailers I may do some quick trailer reviews because I like watching those and I feel like I should be watching more trailers.

Anyhoo hope you found this useful. This is a really delightful movie and a good one to actually see in theaters I think. Probably the best movie I've seen this year so far (but I've only seen like 3 new movies it is only January lol.)

Byeeeeeee!
-Shannon


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f