Skip to main content

Scribbles About Movies: The Scorch Trials Review (Stop Unnecessary Gun Violence in Movies)

This isn't something that I was expecting to blog about today... but I'm sort of glad I am because at least somehow or another this is getting out there.

I saw the movie The Scorch Trials today... and I was really excited for it. The Maze Runner movie was great and I liked the Scorch Trials better as a book... but this movie was just terrifying and I feel awful for actually supporting it and paying to see it.

First off... there was nothing similar to the book... at all. There was basically no plot to the movie. There was maybe one scene that was the same in the movie as it was in the book... but that was all. The book had some really good characters and there was just a lot abut the book that I absolutely loved and the movie had no plot.

They changed things right from the beginning. For one: There was no psychic ability thing between Thomas and Theresa... which was a big plot point. There was just a lot that they neglected where its like "huh... wonder why they did that..." And then they weren't sent into the Scorch... they weren't injected with the virus... just a lot of stuff.

The fact that they weren't injected with the virus and they weren't supposed to be in The Scorch made everything make Zero sense to me... then when they got to the Scorch... there were Zombies immediately. Actual Zombies... not the Cranks the way they were in the book... even the far gone Cranks in the book could talk... these were actual zombies. And they were scary looking... and thats weird for a kids movie.

Then one kid gets torn up by the zombies and gets infected in his body... which didn't happen with the virus in the book and he doesn't want to go on because he knows that he'll end up like the bad zombies. They leave the kid there with a gun, to defend himself, kill himself do what he wants... and then they all walk away and you hear the sound of a gunshot from the kid killing himself... I don't think that is right at all in a movie that is based off of a Children's book... there was no need for that part in the movie at all... they didn't need that character and like... I think if I had a little kid they could see The Maze Runner and it would be fine, that was a little violent and scary... but there was like a kid that was maybe 10 sitting next to me when that came out... and this one just shouldn't have kids seeing it at all... it was bad. It was a zombie movie with explosions and grenades and people killing themselves and shooting others... it was just really violent.

And it wasn't just the violence that I found upsetting... the fact that there were kids with actual guns was something I'm not for. I'm not anti-gun... I'm anti gun violence and anti kids having guns. I don't think that kids should even have toy guns because they aren't toys... they're weapons that actually kill people and things, they aren't toys to play with. And they just make them look so appealing and fun like it is a game. In the book there were killings... there may have been guns... I think they used a Bow and Arrow... which I think is okay. A bow and arrow doesn't look appealing plus its not like everyone can use a bow and arrow easily. That takes practice and skill and its hard work. A gun is quick and painful and easy enough to use and get your hands on and even mistakenly hurt people with... thats not cool.

Plus in the book after Thomas does kill someone, he feels remorse immediately. He's not a killer, he didn't even want to kill the Cranks that were about to attack him, he did it because he had to and he still feels regret. In this he throws grenades and they shoot guns and people taze people and they do all these things like its no big deal... its just really upsetting to me. It wasn't in the book, it didn't make the plot make any sense whatsoever... it was nothing like the book at all and it just really didn't need to be like that. I could imagine kids seeing the first Maze Runner and playing it at home and it being fine... this one... oh my gosh. It was so violent.

And it had people that are known for playing violent parts in tv. Gustavo Fring from Breaking Bad, Little Finger from Game Of Thrones... and those are surprisingly less violent than this movie. If you really want to take your kid to see something less violent, I'd recommend Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Trueblood maybe, The Walking Dead... possibly a Tarantino movie... it was just bad. Very violent and very unnecessary.

Aside from all my views about guns and kids having guns and everything... I still didn't like this movie. It made no sense. If you're a fan of the book and you liked the first movie, I think you'll see what an absolutely horrendous job this movie did and I just don't see what sane people would like this movie. I wouldn't let my kids see it if I had any... and I just don't think its good at all. See the first movie, read the book... but don't support this movie... don't support gun violence and especially children having guns... just don't see it.

I wasn't the only person that thought this either. I saw the movie with my friend Tori who also didn't agree with the violence or the scary zombies and didn't like it. And we talked to two other girls in the bathroom that were in the same movie and they were unfamiliar with the book and they were surprised at the violence. It was just not a good one. I don't see who this movie would be good for either... it was just really bad.

And even the previews were all for pretty violent movies. They showed the Deadpool preview and some others and it was kind of like "well this is a little odd..." And then BAM! All this violence and explosions and just bad stuff... Didn't like it at all. Clearly wouldn't recommend it. I give it an F.

Byeee!
-Shannon          

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f