Skip to main content

Scribbles About TV: Supernatural Season 1 part 2

Faith 
This episode was good. Also kind of X-files-y. I really liked it. I liked that Sam knew what it was right away but there was still a twist element to it of who was doing it and who had to die for it and stuff like that. And this was one I kind of bought. I believe in miracles and I'm sure they happen every day... but I think a lot of people exploit the belief in miracles for profit and I also think people rely too heavily on miracles and don't do anything about it. Its like hoping you win the lottery but never buying a ticket. Miracles could happen... but if theres a plan b that you can do to help in the event that you don't win the lottery... like getting a job, saving money... those sorts of things... That helps a lot.

Also I loved Layla, I thought she and Dean had great chemistry and I loved that her mom just did not like Dean. It seemed very real and I kinda hope they bring Layla back. She was good.

Route 666 
I was excited by the name of this one. I thought it might be like the plane episode where the stakes were high because it all happened on a plane. This was sort of like that, but there was a lot of backstory and an underlying theme of racism that I thought was pretty well done. I feel like in today's PC world they'd find something to pick apart and say was really racist or offensive... but all in all I thought it was well done. I liked that Dean and Sam kind of bonded over girl troubles and that Sam really liked her. I liked that Dean got laid! Lol. Dean is super hot its just unbelievable that he hasn't hooked up with everyone that he's helped. There are so many hot single moms. Lol.

But yeah. Good episode, exciting ending... it was a bit of a let down that Sam was just like "I dunno I thought maybe it'd work" and it did... seemed like there could have been something different. But I liked the episode.

Nightmare 
I'm kind of hooked after this one now... I'll probably be done with the season sooner than I expected lol. This may have been my favorite so far now. We found out a lot about Sam... and a little more about the Winchester family and what could have happened to them if they had a different set of circumstances and another person in the same situation.

This episode was also the only one where Sam and Dean kind of failed. A bunch of people died anyway and they really weren't able to stop anything... and its the only one where Sam had a premonition about the murders and he thought he could have been able to stop it. That sort of added to the abuse theme of the story and really had a sad undertone of the episode. Aunt Zelda from Sabrina played Max's stepmom that ignored the fact that Max was being abused by his father and his uncle and she never said anything. She could have stopped it, but she didn't and at the end she still lied about not knowing where Max got the gun... when she knew her husband was an abusive alcoholic that probably had a gun and she made out like she had no idea any bad stuff ever happened and that she was innocent and lost everything when she wasn't at all. Idk I just thought with the premonition but inability to save everyone thing that happened with Sam... it added to the very dark undertone of the abuse story. I kind of feel like that could have been resolved better... but I think thats the point. Abuse isn't solved well and no one really does anything about it and they should if they can. It's very sad in real life and this episode felt very real in that aspect and I thought it was convincing.

The Benders 
Scariest episode so far. Nothing supernatural, just crazy people that liked hunting people for sport... It reminded me of Home from The X Files, which also wasn't supernatural, it was just scary and disturbing. This was less disturbing than Home... but I could see it happening and that is pretty disturbing. We live in a world where Dentists kill lions for sport... I'm pretty sure we aren't that far off from hunting people.

Also I love how Dean helped Sam because he felt very protective of him. I thought that was sweet and very brotherly and true of Dean... and the cop could relate to him and liked him. And again Dean is a horrible liar. He gets caught all the time, this time the cop catches his fake police badge and sees that he looks the opposite of the man who's badge number it is... and its pretty funny. This was a really dark episode, but the humor is there and it worked.

Shadow
Well, that was a good follow up to Meg's character in Shadow! And we got to see the Winchester Brothers with Poppa Winchester, which is pretty cool. This one was scary and I think it helped set the tone for the sort of mythology episodes in this series. They all kind of mention the running arc of why they're looking for the demon and their dad... and even though they find their dad in this one... it still really shows what they have to do and what they have to go through.

Also I loved the "Upstairs Brain" comment. I thought it was funny. And cool that Dean got laid again and Sam almost did. Lol.

Hell House 
New favorite! This reminds me of the Darren Morgan episodes of The X Files. It was really funny, but a good change in pace for the show! I thought it worked so well and... it was great. If there was one episode that I would recommend for people's first episode to watch, it would probably be this one. I kind of think my sister would like this show and I think I want to tell her to watch this one first cause I think she would really like it.

Aside from it being funny... I really liked the monster! I liked that he came to life from being popular and that he could change and it was the symbol that brought him to life. It was a really cool idea and I liked that they used it for such a fun episode. And it was well timed for a funny episode too.

Something Wicked 
I liked the backstory of Dean that was in this episode and I thought it was okay. Not the scariest episode, but not a bad stand alone. I liked seeing them as kids... Dean was exactly the same. That is no surprise! This might be my 2nd least favorite episode so far... but I still really enjoyed it. In comparison to The X Files, this has fewer misses and a lot of just good episodes. This wasn't bad it just wasn't great. I thought there were enough twists for it to be interesting, but they can't all be the best right?

Provenance 
This one was creepy! Lots of twists, really liked Sam's girl in this one. I wish that Netflix didn't show the thumbnail of Dean holding the doll because I knew that in the end it was the little girl and they would need to burn the doll... guess it was kind of predictable that way, but at least there was still a twist. It wasn't just "ohhh heres another ghost... let's salt and burn it with the bones." It was more complicated than that because they had the wrong person and then they didn't know what the remains were.

I also wonder if thats true about the hair thing. Makes sense its not like they had these big hair manufacturers the way they do today... but still.

Dead Man's Blood 
Didn't love this one... I'm not a huge fan of vampires on shows like this... I didn't think it was that well done because they had almost no weaknesses. Out of the whole season this was my 2nd least favorite episode and unfortunately its not skippable because the boys are reunited with Poppa Winchester... so ya kinda need to see it.

Salvation 
Great way to start a 2 part finale. Wow. I'm really pumped... I don't know who's dead or alive or what happened but this will get you hooked to watch the finale... Return of Meg. Return of Demon to houses and Sam and Dean save the family... wow. Just wow. Might be one of my favorites of the season!

Devil's Trap 
Ohhhh my god! I can't with  this show! I can't even. THAT WAS SUCH A GOOD FINALE! That is how you do a season finale. Wow. Honestly I haven't seen a season finale that good in a really really long time. Everything was up in the air, nothing was definite and it just really really was the way to end this first season.

Clearly, I recommend checking out the first season. I don't know how much I'm going to keep up with the later seasons to be honest. I heard it goes way downhill and from what I hear after Season 4 it just isn't great... but I'm going to try to keep up with this show till the end cause I think there will be some good payoff in the end. If they could do anything at all like that finale... wow. That was good.

Byeee!
-Shannon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f