Skip to main content

Scribbles About News: September

1) Woman Does Random Act of Kindness for a Police Officer, and it went viral- An unnamed woman went into the Arvada Police Department in Colorado and asked to see a police officer to give him a hug and express her sadness about the police officers that have been killed recently and to thank them for the hard work that they do. She didn't give her name or ask for anything, she just wanted them to know that she appreciated their work. What a nice story! There are lots of awful stories out there, and really if you appreciate the work someone is doing, give them a hug, let them know!  This was just a nice story. The police officer was very happy, and I thought that was just a lovely sentiment.

2) Kim Davis- Alrighty didn't want to talk about this asshole last week... but lets bring her up this week. Kim Davis is a county clerk that denied giving marriage licenses to gay couples that were about to get married saying that it was her religious freedom to deny them this constitutional right. So she went to jail... and obviously people were against her... but unfortunately, she also has a lot of supporters. The man that killed Cecil the Lion had 0 supporters... and somehow she has all this support... so she got out and Mike Huckabee was there and introduced her and she got out on this pedestal to the tune of "Eye of The Tiger" and walked out like some sort of hero... and everyone there was brainwashed by something or other and believed her... so they are also terrible people!

In the midst of all of this... there are some people who do not support this woman. Mainly... most people I think. Also famously the Wesboro Baptist Church is not on her side because she's divorced and thats of corse a terrible thing to do in their eyes... and the writers of Eye of The Tiger are also angry that they used their song. They don't support her, Kim Davis is not rocky.

So yeah... I think thats everything interesting about this person... Not my favorite story... but its definitely news... so yeah.

3) Miss Piggy dating Josh Groban???- I've been following the development over the Frog/Piggy break up pretty closely now and it appears that there is a new man in Piggy's life. Josh Groban guest starred on Piggy's talk show and the two have now been dating! It was love at first duet! If you're concerned about Josh's relationship with Kat Dennings, Fear not! Kat does not mind sharing her man with the pig, Josh even thanked his human girlfriend for this. I love Piggy, love Josh Groban... but I can't help but think this is just a rebound. Lol.

4) Jon Hamm and girlfriend of 18 years call it quits- In other sad celebrity break up news John Hamm and his girlfriend have split... meaning JOHN HAMM IS SINGLE!!!! No, its just another single attractive guy not interested in me... sigh... anyway this has been quite a heartbreaking summer for celebrities. Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner, Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale, Piggy and Kermit and now this! Very sad. But you know, if you're reading this Jon Hamm and you're like "you know what? I really want to settle down with a quirky 23 year old unemployed blogger that likes minions" let me know!

5) Queen Elizabeth becomes longest reigning monarch of the UK- As of a few days ago, Queen Elizabeth is the longest reigning monarch in the United Kingdom! I wonder if they counted King Bob and Scarlett Overkill's brief reigns as king and queen in this calculation... hmm. Seems like that should count too. Anyway thats pretty cool. I think they said she's reigned through 12 presidents and 8 or 10 prime ministers? Maybe more... not sure really. I remember 12 presidents. Thats pretty cool.

here she is in my bedroom next to England's shortest reigning Monarch, King Bob. 


6) Nicole Arbour Fired from Job because of Fat Shaming Video- I don't agree with Nicole Arbours video... I think she should get fired from any comedy job because she isn't funny... but I'm smelling some crap on this particular story in which the company claims to have hired her as a choreographer for a movie that was about a girl being bullied because she's fat and then she joins a cheerleading team. I'm smelling some crap here because thats a bit too convenient of a plot for this movie to have in this story... that just doesn't make sense. The other thing is... that movie would never get made. No one wants to see an anti bullying movie... especially about a fat girl! Not saying that to be mean, thats how hollywood is and the movie would probably be problematic in itself and just cause people to bully more and girls would somehow end up more insecure about their body because they'd probably get someone gorgeous and skinny to play the role of the fat girl... and it just seems like that movie would never get made. I just don't see it... so I'm smelling some stink on this story... although Arbour has mentioned being a cheerleader... which I'm sure aside from watching a Jenna Marbles video once is probably the only comedy experience she has... so yeah.

7) Nickelodeon announces "The Splat" network to play only 90s cartoons- This is a dream come true for most people my age... an ALL 90S NICK NETWORK! There were recent talks of bringing back Rugrats and Hey Arnold... I think those would be okay, but I think this idea is better. I loved watching all the 90s Nick repeats on The 90s are All That... I would love to see more of their shows from the 90s also... I did get a little tired of it because it was the same episodes over and over again... but ultimately this is exciting. Its nice to know that there will be a channel where something good will always be on. That is pretty cool to me.


8) The hosts of "The View" criticize Miss Colorado's monologue about being a nurse- So the Monday after the Miss America pageants and there has been a hashtag created by nurses saying "nurses unite" defending this nurse and her talent.

A few things... I think that is awesome that she actually told a real story about her job that actually mattered to her during a beauty pageant. It was such a sweet and moving story also that I thought it was really beautiful, really touching and just really amazing. Go Miss Colorado! Way to show that you aren't just a nurse, you aren't just a beauty queen, you aren't just Miss Colorado. You are doing something bigger that a lot more women should do as their talents in these competition...

However... On The View... its their job to pick everything in the news apart, make fun of it and make controversial statements about it. Nicole Wallace was just fired for not causing enough fights. Its kind of on this women that they need to stir the pot a little bit if they want to keep their jobs. And its sad that its that way... but thats kind of what they have to do.

And yeah... I don't really watch Miss America, but I can kind of see the humor in that. A pageant where talents are usually things like Opera singing and baton twirling, Miss Colorado did something that wasn't particularly entertaining or sexy. I thought the story was really great and I love that she picked it as her talent... but you can see where people probably rewound their dvrs and were like "well that was weird. Did that just happen." I'm sure she meant it to be that way too because she really did set herself apart from all the other girls in that way. I don't watch the pageants, I'm not someone that would have seen that clip if it didn't go viral, she knew that doing something different would go viral and reach out to more people... so she really did a great job of that and I think its something to be celebrated that someone is stepping outside the box and getting recognized for it.

So while I don't really like the view, I don't really agree with what they said, they all did their job and it got me to watch a clip of a pageant I wouldn't watch and I really liked the clip... so really its the Nurses that started the hashtag for that... but the women of the View did their jobs and ratings will go up and no one will get fired.

You can watch the video of the monologue and decide for yourself right here.

9) Steve Rannazzisi admits he lied about escaping the twin towers on 9/11- I really like Steve Rannazzisi and I really like The League and I knew that he said he was working in Manhattan during the time of 9/11 and that that is why he decided to become a comedian... I didn't hear that he had said he escaped from the building... which I don't think I would have 100% bought... there weren't many people that escaped from that and my dad could have told me that that didn't happen.

I admire Rannazzisi for coming forward with the truth... clearly it wasn't something he had been talking about and he was embarrassed about the story and couldn't lie about it any more... it was brave of him to come forward and to admit that he was immature and stupid when he told the story and that he felt ashamed of it. I do think he was probably old enough to have known better at the time... but I do think he probably was scared by 9/11 just working in an office building in New York and he did have acting experience and he did probably decide to pursue that after 9/11 happened but for some reason he exaggerated the truth to try to be funny or cool and it got out of hand.

I still like The League and I'll still watch it and I'd watch anything Rannazzisi does after that... I know the cast of The League says he really is a great guy and that they don't agree with what he said, but they are still being supportive. And the cast of The League on Twitter are all the nicest people. I don't know them personally, but I've tweeted them and they've favorited or tweeted back and they all seem like genuine nice people.

I also don't agree with Rannazzisi. My dad was supposed to be in the World Trade Center on 9/11 so... he should have known better. I still think he's funny and I'm not going to just stop liking him because of this. I do think that there is bravery coming forward in a thing like this... especially in todays overly PC, but also overly mean internet culture... which wasn't like this when Rannazzisi told this lie. Take it easy on him on twitter and everything, he knows what he did was the worse thing he did and he'll probably have to live with it the rest of his career... but... yeah.

So lying is bad, you never know what the world will be like when you come clean from this lie... and its a sad and terrible thing that he did and he knows that. And Nicole Arbour's 15 minutes of fame are done and she's no longer the world's most hated comedian... note: I'm still probably going to watch his special and I'll definitely still watch the league and I don't hate the guy. Nicole Arbour isn't even a real comedian... so...

10) Couple recreates scene from 101 Dalmatians for engagement photos- This is adorable! I love 101 dalmatians, I love the McDonalds toys and Cruella DeVille... plus of all the Disney Meet Cutes, this one was the absolute cutest. I really love how Roger and Anita met and I think its a cute way to do an engagement photo shoot... especially if you have dogs. The couple met at Disney and I think that is the cutest. I just love the photos and this story was just too cute.


11) Jeopardy Contestant writes Turd Ferguson as answer to Final Jeopardy Question- This is pretty funny. What to do when you don't know the answer to final jeopardy? Write Turd Ferguson of corse! I'm a big fan of the SNL Jeopardy sketch so I thought it was pretty fantastic. I thought it was a great response. Funny to hear Trebeck say "Turd Ferguson" at least!


12) Identical Triplets born in Long Island- A mom in Long Island just gave birth to three identical baby boys. Their names are Miles, Noah and Owen (I'm guessing born in that order) and they're pretty hard to distinguish from one another! What the parents have been doing is painting one of their toenails a color and then dressing them in that color for the day to tell them apart. The chances of having identical triplets are one in a million. The triplets also have a big brother named Aiden (I think thats what they said.) So happy for the probably forever exhausted parents of 4.

13) Kate Middleton Has Bangs Now- Kate Middleton made her first public appearance since the birth of her baby girl Charlotte and the most notable thing about the Royal Mommy? Bangs! She looks super cute... Not a huge fan of bangs but I mean its Kate Middleton so yeah. She can pull anything off... so if you were thinking of getting bangs, now is probably a good time. They're going to be super trendy soon!

14) The Rock and his longtime girlfriend Lauren Hashian are expecting a baby- Some baby news from the non-celebrity world, from the royal world and now the hollywood world. The Rock is going to be a Daddy! Hopefully the little girl doesn't bake him cookies with cinnamon and cause an allergic reaction the way his on screen daughter in The Gameplan did... but yeah. It is the couple's first child together and I think The Rock will be a great dad! I say little girl, idk if they know its a girl yet... I just hope its a girl because... that will make some awkward dating situations when the girl is old enough. Lol.

15) Pasta Pass+ Rainbow Doritos- Pasta and Doritos are two of my favorite foods... so both of these stories are pretty exciting for me.

First off the Pasta Pass. For $100 you can get unlimited Pasta from the fine Italian Establishment that is The Olive Garden. For me this sounds like an unlimited amount of diarrhea to me... but thats not a bad deal for unlimited pasta. You could actually find an Olive Garden thats Open All Night and just eat pasta all day and all night for 7 weeks... if your life is that miserable. For a Family of 4 you could get a $300 pass... which is a better deal I guess. Its sold out already, so really you can't get it... but if you're a college kid without a meal plan that doesn't want to cook and if your campus is near an Olive Garden, you could get pasta for lunch and dinner every day. Now if you do that every day for 7 weeks, that is 98 bowls of pasta... so that pretty much evens out. If you split it with 4 people its even better because then you only have to pay $75 each for the 98 bowls of pasta... plus you have someone to go to Olive Garden with every day... not too bad. Thats like 77 cents per meal. This is only if you do go all out and get pasta there every day twice a day for 7 weeks. And I do recommend this if you are in college. Its not bad. Health wise, this probably isn't the best plan... but budget wise its a smart way to spend $75. I mean they're sold out so you can't now... but thats not a bad plan.

So the Rainbow Doritos are in support of Gay Marriage. You guys know how I feel about my Cool Ranch Doritos... so I'm pretty excited about any addition to the dorito family. The look really cool too... I bet they make your poop green... lol this is a very "poop talk" section of this scribbles about news... but yeah. That probably would. Eating Olive Garden every day for lunch and dinner for 7 weeks might also make your poop green... but thats besides the point. These look cool and I want to try them if I can find them!




16) Megan Fox is going to be the New Girl on New Girl- New Girl is not returning until January, but while Zooey is on Maternity Leave, Megan Fox will move in to shake things up... Which personally I think will be bad... Megan Fox is funny and I'm still going to watch it... I just feel like maybe they should have waited a bit longer to air the show with Deschannel rather then to put Megan Fox in... Maybe she will still be on it but her role will be reduced and Megan Fox will have a more prominent role... maybe she'll be in an episode or two and leave... I'm not sure. Its not that I don't like Megan Fox, I think in comedies she's really good and she is very pretty and I'm happy she's in something that I actually like... but I'm not a huge fan of random super famous guests in important roles but only for a couple episodes like James Franco on The Mindy Project... which wasn't bad... but... idk. I'm rambling that was one giant run on sentence... but idk. I feel like maybe this will be The Shark that the show may or may not jump...

17) Pizza Rat Raises Questions about Subway's sanitation- If you haven't seen the Pizza Rat video yet... watch it! Its a rat that gets a whole piece of pizza and its funny and yeah its gross... but its cute. Anyway apparently it has raised some questions about the MTA's removal of a lot of garbage cans because... without garbage cans people throw their trash everywhere... and here's the thing... even with garbage cans... people still throw their stuff everywhere. It will always be the same... I think it'll be a little cleaner with them though... its just disgusting to use the subway. No one likes it... so yeah. Clean it up. They're slightly cleaner in other states... NY should get on board.

18) Teacher accuses student of being evil because he writes with his left hand- This is bad. So a teacher tried to make a boy write with his right hand even though he favors his left hand... and the mother asked why and she sent her an article saying that left handedness is a sign of wickedness. And the mom was kind of like "wahhhhhh?" And she thought it was a joke and complained to the school about it. As of yet, the school hasn't taken any action against it, but they understand the seriousness of the situation and I'm sure something will happen to this teacher.

19) Yankees Legend Yogi Berra dies at 90 years old- Everyone knows Yogi Berra. He's pretty much everyone's favorite Yankee player because he's so funny... everyone knows his quotes and "yogi-isms" like "It's deja vu all over again." And funny little things like that. He lived a good, long life and everyone still loves and remembers him... Whether you are a huge Yankee Fan or just an occasional watcher... you probably know who he is and you've probably laughed at something he's said... so this is a very sad day for all.

20) Facebook Makes Dislike Button- After years of everyone wanting a dislike button... Facebook is finally developing one. I feel like this is something thats going to turn internet people into big assholes because people are assholes on the internet. Hopefully people you're friends with aren't assholes and it'll be nice.

21) Kayley Cuoko and Ryan Sweeting divorce after 2 years of marriage- This isn't shocking... I know they loved each other and all Kayley ever talked about was Ryan Sweeting and she changed her name and everything... but they didn't date very long before they got married and celebrity couples don't last... Even Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner can't make it work! Plus who the hell is Ryan Sweeting? I think he's a tennis player that probably just wanted to get a little more famous so he dated the star of the #1 show in the country... I mean thats an easy plan. Also in other sad couple news, I saw on Yahoo Amy Poehler and Nick Kroll split up... which is heartbreaking and I hope its fake... but also understand and love them both anyway.

And that is everything! Thats a lot of weird news for a month! Hope you guys like the new monthly news thing... I feel like it is a lot... but at the same time I like having more creative freedom with it and a little more time to truly perfect it. So I may do this more often! I may do one at the beginning of the month and one at the end... not sure. I just found out how to schedule posts, so this makes things a little easier and I like it!


Byeeee!
-Shannon


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f