Skip to main content

My list of 2015's 10 Most Fascinating Women

So last year I did this as a response to Barbara Walters choice for Most Fascinating person... and I don't really want to be too critical on her choice of Caitlyn Jenner this year... I kind of was in my Weekly Wrap up... but I wanted to keep up with the tradition and pick my picks for the most fascinating women of the year. These are in no particular order... but I'm going to leave 2 that Barbara maybe should have put on her list at the top.

10) Brie Larson- Last year I mentioned Amy Schumer... and she got the recognition from Barbara Walters this year... so I think her on-screen sister deserves some recognition this year... I haven't seen her in her movie Room which is getting incredible critical praise... but I think she's a great actress. I just checked my Facebook post from a few years ago and I apparently looked up what other movies she's been in because I think she's really funny and charming and clearly she can do comedy and drama. I'm glad to see her name out there a little more and that she is in more leading roles now. Even though I might not know much about her... I still think she's one of the most fascinating women.

9) Lady Gaga- Lady Gaga is always one of the most fascinating people... but this year I think she's been particularly interesting because... she's had quite an interesting comeback for a young pop star. She's known for songs like "Pokerface" and "Born This Way" and now she's doing duets with Tony Bennet and she's been just as good as her pop songs. Plus she's proved her pretty amazing acting skills with her role on American Horror Story. I think it maybe hasn't been the best season... but she's been pretty amazing on it and I just like seeing this transition for her. I think she's really been good and I'm happy she's back! Plus she's engaged, she's got a beautiful ring that is very her... and the point of this isn't for people being married to famous people... but I thought her ring was interesting enough to mention this in.

8) Lea Michele- Lea Michele is not someone who has always been famous and pretty fascinating... but I feel like this year was her year. She starred in Glee, which ended this year. I didn't see the finale... but she is the main character and I'm sure it was mainly focused on her character. She hasn't exactly had the easiest life or the easiest past... but this year she was *spoilers* the killer in Scream Queens and she did a great job at being creepy and funny and I was just really impressed that she could do that as an actress and it was just really fun to see her as Hester on Scream Queens. I think she did a great job and I hope to see more of her on Scream Queens because she was just really funny and great.

7) Billie Lourde- Also from Scream Queens... a breakout star less known than Lea Michele is Billie Lourde. Billie is the daughter of Princess Leia herself, Carrie Fisher's real life daughter. She is in the Star Wars movies in a relatively under-wraps role... but she really made me laugh and was my favorite character on Scream Queens. I think she's going to be a fashion icon with those earmuffs. She is really pretty, really funny, a good actress and she really seems to admire her mom and is proud to be part of the Star Wars Universe and I think that is absolutely awesome. Carrie Fisher has talked about problems that she's had in the past... but Billie Lourde only talks of love and admiration about her mom and I think that is something really great. I think Billie will end up being the It girl of 2016... to me she's the It girl of this year because I loved her on Scream Queens so much... but she's definitely really cool.

6) Ingrid Nielson- I've been a fan of Ingrid Nielson aka MissGlammorazzi for a long time now... and I was shocked by her coming out video, but that doesn't matter because mostly I admired her honesty and her bravery in finally being able to accept herself and be who she really is. And I know she's inspired other youtubers like Shane Dawson, who came out as Bisexual recently and mentioned Ingrid as sort of an inspiration in that, and I'm sure she's inspired a lot of people. Not just with coming out, but just in general... don't be something that you're not. Don't do something just because its cool or because people don't like the things you like so you hide it... be yourself.

5)  Daisy Ridley- I don't know too much about Daisy Ridley... I haven't seen The Force Awakens yet... but to be a female star of the new Star Wars Franchise... that's quite a thing. And she's only 23 years old! Wow! She's younger than me... and I think she's going to be huge for the Star Wars universe... I have a feeling this will be kind of a more "girl power" Star Wars... not that the female characters in the other movies weren't strong... but having her as the lead I think is awesome. And yeah. I just think she's cool! I can't wait to see the movie (when I'm writing this it is December 18th... so its the day its out right now.)

4)  Rachel Bloom- I feel like of everyone on this list... Rachel Bloom might be a name you don't recognize... but she is multi talented and you should get familiar with her. She is the creator and star of the new musical comedy, Crazy Ex Girlfriend on The CW...and she is just hilarious. The show is very well written and well done, I could see her being the next Mindy Kaling or Amy Schumer... I think the show is amazing and she is doing such a great job starring in it. The show also feels very real. She's not crazy she's just... impulsive, I would say. Her character I mean. Its very real and I think she is portraying depression in a very real and non-offensive way. And its kind of great seeing it as a comedy. I don't know if she's supposed to be portraying depression... but to me the show is very dark sometimes and it can be that way... so yeah. I really admire anyone that writes and stars in her own series and Rachel Bloom is definitely someone to watch out for.

3)Shonda Rhimes -This was a big year for Shondaland and the queen of Shondaland, Shonda Rhimes herself. She recently released her book "The Year of Yes" where she said yes to things that scared her for a year. She's had a couple of new pilots out also... I think there is one not yet picked up starring Laverne Cox... one of my favorites... and one about a modern day Romeo and Juliet. Plus Scandal and Grey's Anatomy have been better than ever in 2015 I think! I didn't really watch Scandal before 2015... but Olivia being kidnapped and her relationship with Fitz being public have been really fun to watch. She also killed off a major character on Grey's Anatomy and that was a pretty big deal! So she's really been killing it this year! She's been great and has been doing a great job!

Oh and How To Get Away With Murder... which I gotta say... haven't liked as much this season... but it was really good towards the end of last season... which was last year! Lol.

2) Lizzie Velasquez- Imagine being picked on for your looks... basically everywhere every day of your life, and still putting your life out to the public and being kind to everyone and teaching everyone. That is the life that Lizzie Velasquez lives basically. She has a rare disease that makes her skin look different than everyone else's... I don't know much about the disease or what its called... but this girl makes Vlogs on youtube and people on the internet always comment the worst things... you could be the most beautiful person in the world and people on the internet will be like "her hair looks ugly that way" or just criticize everything about you. And this girl is just fearless. She had a documentary released this year... which again I haven't seen yet... but I would like to because I really like Lizzie. She has such a nice personality and is such a lovely person inside and out and I think she's a great role model... for anyone at any age really. She just teaches about kindness.

1) Malala Yousafzai- Nobel Peace Prize Winner... and she's still looking at colleges and taking the SAT's just like every other teenager! This girl is an advocate for women's education. In other countries... women aren't allowed to be educated and that isn't right... she was shot by the Taliban because of this and that didn't stop her from her cause. She still let her voice be heard and she still taught everyone the importance of education. And she really values the education system and she is still applying to normal colleges like a regular teenager... I know she can get into any college... but that wouldn't really go that well with her message, would it? I haven't read her book or seen her documentary yet... but just hearing some of her quotes, hearing her on TV, and just knowing her story and what she's gone through is so inspiring and just a good person. She's got a good story and a good message and I think everyone should inspire to be a little more like her... So while I have no idea why Barbara Walters found Caitlyn Jenner more inspiring than Malala... I certainly would say she's probably the most fascinating person most years.

So that is everything. Hope you guys enjoyed this list of who I actually think is the most fascinating and most inspirational and not just the people with the best publicists.... because really that's how most of these lists really work.

Honorable Mentions: 
So I would have made this a list of more than 10 if I realized I was forgetting these people. Priyanka Chopra of Quantico... talk about fascinating! She was Miss World and now she's on this hit tv show playing an FBI agent being framed by one of her colleagues and its a hit and its amazing.

Laverne Cox I think has done a lot for the trans community and I think her performance on Orange Is The New Black this year was really really powerful. Actually all of the women of Orange Is The New Black! Everyone was amazing, whether they play a character you like or not... they all did a great job at making you feel things for the characters... this year especially. How did Ruby Rose not make the list???? Lol.

Ellie Kemper was amazing this year on Kimmy Schmidt and deserves some recognition!

Miss Piggy... she went through a harrowing breakup and it was very upsetting that Barbara snubbed her like that.

Elizabeth Banks! Director of Pitch Perfect 2... she deserves a shout out.

And a man that should have DEFINITELY been on her list... probably last year too... Chris Pratt. What the heck? Lol.

And Tracee Ellis Ross. I think she is AMAZING on Blackish and currently one of the funniest women on a sitcom. She's so out of her mom's shadow too (If you don't know who her mom is... look it up! Hint: Ross.) and I always admire when celebs with famous families don't just live as that celebrities relative.She is soooo funny on Blackish and her character is a really great female role model. I know Blackish started last year... but I started watching it at the end of last year and I've really enjoyed it this year... and her character was really great and funny this year also.

Byeee!
-Shannon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f