Skip to main content

Blogmas day 10:Scribbles About News: Christmas Edition

So I've heard some heartwarming, scary and funny tales this holiday season... and I figured I would share them.

1) Zombie Nativity scene in NJ gets in trouble- So someone in NJ (I think... I saw it on NJ news... so it must be) displayed a Nativity scene in NJ using zombies for Mary, Joseph and baby Jesus... and I guess the Three Kings also. When I heard about this I thought it was disrespectful... but I saw the pictures... and I thought it was quite a cute display. Lol.  I'm not preaching, but I like being reminded what the season is about... so I'm sort of a fan of the nativity scenes in general. They can be tacky I guess and this might be trying to make fun of them... not sure. I feel like the Charlie Brown special really got it... which is why that is the holiday movie I always like watching first in the season. It gets me in the spirit more than most specials... and I just like that. And I think showing a Zombie Nativity is very anti commercial and kind of beautiful in its own way. Idk if that is what the owners of the display intended... but it works for that.

They weren't in trouble for the display itself, but the manger was a little too big for their yard and they did not have a permit, so they took down the manger but kept the zombies. And that is pretty cool.

2) People outraged over mother spoiling her children too much- So a mom in england posted this photo... and has gotten some criticism worldwide about it...
Emma Tapping is a mother of 3 children who gives her kids 85 presents each on Christmas morning was accused of spoiling them for posting this picture. Tapping says that she doesn't over indulge her children year round, and she works hard and bargain shops to get them all these presents for christmas. 

I think people are a little quick to judge with things like this. First off... we have no idea whats in those boxes. it could be 85 pairs of socks each... we don't know. And we don't know this woman's situation or her lifestyle... we don't know anything about her. She's just a random stranger and people are getting super offended by this picture she posted on the internet. Idk. I feel like maybe I would feel different if this was another situation. I'm sure I judge people by random photos they have online... but I feel like this makes sense. If I ever have kids, I definitely want to put them first and give them all the best stuff before anything else. Especially around the holidays. And I would like to save to give them extra good presents at christmas time and try to get the good deals for them... so I get it. I don't know if I'll ever be super rich or anything... but no matter what I would want to make sure my family has a good christmas and I'd want to give to charity also... so yeah. 

And I know not everyone has that much... but maybe these kids don't either. You don't know their life. 

3) A Family in Louisiana accused of sexism in Christmas Card- Remember when I said I am probably more judgmental of other random photos online... here that part is. A family in Louisiana posted a Christmas card with the Mother and 2 daughters mouths duct taped and the father and the son non-duct taped and the father has a sign saying "Peace On Earth" 

So this family just did this as a joke and they've gotten a lot of backlash on it... and I think I agree with the backlash... I'm not going to flat out say its sexist. I don't think it was meant to be sexist... but it looks like its supporting that. And this is also creepy. A lot of bad things have happened in the world this year... we don't really need to be reminded of them with this. I think its distasteful. Idk. Its just not funny to me. I get people shouldn't take it so seriously... but really? 

And its not like this would happen to a man... and thats where I think the problem is. I don't want to judge this family too much... I don't know them... but I don't think its funny and I don't think most people do. It's pretty offensive... just be careful of any pictures you take cause in todays day and age a million and one people will criticize you online... so just make sure its something you're proud of and something appropriate... otherwise... yeesh. Even on these blogs there are things I just won't talk about because I don't want anyone getting offended. 

4) 11 Year old boy takes back all the clothes he got for Christmas for a great reason- This is the heartwarming part... prepare to cry. Got your tissues? Okay. 

So an 11 year old boy from Ohio really captured the true meaning of Christmas when he decided to take back some of the gifts he had gotten in order to help pay for a funeral for his Grandmother's best friend. I didn't find the exact source that I first heard this from and the yahoo video didn't go into as much detail, but I believe the grandmother's friend had died somewhat unexpectedly and I don't think she had life insurance and her family didn't have enough money to pay for her funeral... so this boy took back about $95 worth of clothes so that he could help pay for the funeral. His grandmother also took back one of her presents, since she was inspired by her grandson and they have also set up a gofundme that as of the time I saw it had raised $200 I believe. This young man's mother and his grandmother were both very proud of him and said "he's showing that christmas isn't just about getting presents, its also about giving them." And I really wish the best for both of these families because... that is a truly meaningful and amazing story... 

And I'm going to end on that note because there isn't a better note to end on. 

Byeee! 
-Shannon 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f