Skip to main content

Scribbles About TV: Imaginary Mary Review!

This show looked like it could be either a really great show, or a really horrible show… but I thought it would be promising because it was created by Adam Goldberg and the creator of The Goldbergs… so I thought it might be really good. 

Fortunately… It was really good! Mary, the imaginary friend is super cute and funny. Jenna Elfman is really relatable and she does a great job playing this character. Stephen Schnieder, who plays the single father that she’s dating is super hot… the kids are funny and cute too… it’s just a good cast overall and well thought out. 

Jenna Elfman’s character Alice is flawed… but in a relatable way. She knows the guy she’s dating has 3 kids and she continues to get serious with him… but she freaks out when his kids come over and he suggests meeting them. When she actually does meet them- no spoilers- but they don’t exactly get along that well. The kids are more difficult than she was expecting… and she’s also kind of difficult… so it made sense. It’s relatable enough while still thinking “Ohhh, if she really likes him, she’s got to be nicer to his kids.” Which *spoiler alert* she is at the end of the episode… so yay! 

One thing that I kind of didn’t like about the show was the way they explained the relationship between Ben and Alice… they don’t go that much into it… and it would have added a little more character back story that would have been nice to see. It was just kind of like “Meet cute… okay 3 months later their in love… but she’s freaking out about his kids… even though she knew he had kids already.” I think they wanted to show more of Alice and Mary’s relationship in the first episode… and hopefully Ben will be better developed and their relationship and the kids will be a little bit more interesting in later episodes… They just did a special sneak preview of the first episode… and I feel like they should have just done a double-episode premiere because there’s a little more to be desired with this one. I’m glad that they gave the nice back story of Mary and Alice because they’re the main characters… but it just could have been a little bit more. I guess Alice is more sympathetic because you get her back story more… but still. There could have been a little more there. 

Jenna Elfman was perfect as this character. It’s like her character in Dharma and Greg… but a little more sad and a little more grown up. If you’ve never seen that show or don’t remember it… she was kind of a childish hippie that got married to an uptight-ish lawyer… so again, mismatched relationship and a similar character. It’s not the same character, but I can’t think of anyone more perfect for this role. 

It also reminded me of a grown-up Lizzie McGuire kind of. Lizzie McGuire always had a cartoon voice in her head that let you know what she was thinking. This is like that- but this show is for adults whereas Lizzie McGuire was for children… and Alice is more physically present and actually interacts with Alice… which is interesting. I like that she really is a part of Alice that is so real and so present. It was a nice way of portraying this without making the main character seem too crazy. 

So overall… not a perfect pilot… but I’m excited to see where the show goes. I think they did a good joke, it’s a pretty unique show compared to anything else on right now… and it is really funny! 

Hope you liked this review! Let me know if you liked the show or not! I'm watching Nobodies right now... so review on that soon! 

Byeee! 
-Shannons 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f