Skip to main content

Chart Chat 3/1/17

This is an interesting week for movies... right before the Oscars... I was excited at the Number 1 movie... it's one that I want to see and I've heard is really good... I thought it was an independent movie... but I'm guessing not.

10) Lion- This movie I've heard is really good. I asked my Facebook friends what their favorite movie of the year was... a few people mentioned this as being really good! I haven't seen any Oscar Nominated movies... so the Shanny goes to Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them. Really great reviews... great story... everyone in the movie seems very, very passionate about the film as well... so this just seems like a great one. I don't think it won any awards... but I'm sure this will be very well remembered and well loved.

9) Split- Again this is a thriller and quite a thriller! The way my friend described it just made the suspense sound amazing and it even had some moments of comic relief in it. She also didn't think it offended the mental health illness... it is a very rare illness and I guess there is a lot of negative representation... but there's also some positive representation. The United States of Tara seemed more like an everyday version of the illness... idk. Can't speak much about it because I haven't seen it!

8) La La Land- This seemed to be falling down on the chart from recent weeks... and now I'm curious if it'll stay staggering or if more people will see it. It may not have won Best Picture... but I'm sure it's a very memorable movie either way. It's a good concept... great cast and I really want to see it. I'm sure it's really amazing. The director of this movie is the youngest director ever to win Best Director... so that is an amazing accomplishment. People are still going to talk about this for years...a lot of my friends said this was one of their favorites.

7) Hidden Figures- This is the one that was overwhelmingly a favorite among my friends. I keep saying "I can't believe this story was never told." And now... from what I understand- there were reasons preventing this story from being told... but like really? For so many years? Clearly that doesn't mean anything because this movie made a ton of money! Clearly people wanted to know this story whether people wanted them to or not... and that is a powerful thing!

6) Fist Fight- This movie looked funny and it's kind of one that I haven't heard a lot about... idk if this was even screened for critics because I haven't heard any reviews on it even... it seems like a silly concept... but I'm sure it happens.

5) Fifty Shades Darker- My friend saw this movie the other day... I didn't get a review from her... but people were bringing their kids... really? REALLY? I mean my mom took me to see Jerry McGuire... I slept through most of it...but for real? 50 shades darker... get a babysitter! Lol.

4) The Great Wall- I've said this before and I've said it again... this seems like the most ridiculous movie to me. Matt Damon saves China from monsters at the Great Wall... there are so many interesting stories you can tell about The Great Wall of China that actually happened... and this isn't it. It just... seems terrible. Ugh.

3) John Wick Chapter 2- I don't think I can really say anything about this movie... lol. I have very little interest. I don't know what John Wick is about. I happen to like Keanu Reeves... but I'm not going to see this movie. Apparently people like it though! Doing well on the Charts!

2) The Lego Batman Movie- This looked like a really fun movie! I want to see it... I'll probably wait until its on TV or even on DVD... The Lego Movie is often on sale at Target and I kind of think I should get it! I like The Lego Movie and even the TV Special with Frozen was pretty good. I like it! I think you can enjoy it as an adult because everyone loves legos, right? Everyone must have some sort of lego memory, even if it's just stepping on it. I don't actually remember playing a lot with legos... I remember I had some Harry Potter ones that I really liked... and it's surprising because JK Rowling is picky with her merchandising. This was fun though! I love Harry Potter and it was good.

1) Get Out- Jordan Peele's innovative directorial debut opened strong at #1. This movie looks really really good. I mentioned it a little in the opening of this... from reviews I've heard it's a great thriller and it is sort of a new genre of thriller. To me this seems almost like a commentary of the movies like Birth of a Nation and the Shirley Temple movies...maybe it's not... but the imagery kind of seems similar. It seems like there is a lot going on in this movie and it is a classic thriller... but with a new twist.

That is everything! Hope you guys like this! I love doing these... it's especially been useful around awards season or if I'm wondering if a movie is still out or not!

Byeee!
-Shannon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f