Skip to main content

Parks and Rec Recs

So here is a little random post for you... Since Parks and rec  is ending tonight... I thought I might give some recommendations for things you may enjoy if you need your parks and rec fix...

First I'm going to recommend following some of the cast members on twitter and instagram because they post a lot of funny things. The person I would recommend most highly is Rhetta. Her twitter handle is Unforhettable and she's really funny. She'll live tweet, she's just as awesome as Donna Meagle and she's perfect. Evilhag is Aubrey Plaza, PrattPrattPratt is Chris Pratt... I believe Adam Scott and Billy Eichner have twitters and instas. Creator Mike Schur has a twitter. I believe Humble Brag is still up which was created by a writer/ producer Harris Wittels (R.I.P.) There is a lot going on on twitter with these guys, so yeah.

If you like Podcasts, one podcast that has a very similar humor to Parks and Rec with some similar elements is Welcome to NightVale. This is podcast that takes place in a fictional desert town called NightVale that is just as over the top as Pawnee. There are more supernatural elements to Nightvale than Parks and Rec obviously... but its funny. Adam Scott also has his own podcast on the Earwolf Network called You Talkin U2 To Me, where he discusses U2 with Scott Auckerman. Even if you aren't a fan of the band, its really funny to listen to and I love Adam Scott. He's also been on 3 episodes of the podcast How Did This Get Made, which is another favorite of mine and he's funny on those also. He discussed the last 2 Fast and Furious movies, and I'm sure he'll be joining for the new one and he talked about Glitter also... which has nothing to do with Parks and Rec but that movie is amazing ridiculous and I love it, so that is a recommendation also.

There are also a couple of books that fans of the show will probably dig. Amy Poehler wrote a book called Yes Please which I will have a review on on Thursday hopefully. And remember the book that Leslie Knope wrote in Born and Raised? That is also a real book and I saw it in the Humor section of my Barnes and Noble. I've seen it at Target too. Its good. Well I mean I didn't read it, but you know its out there.

If you want a TV show, thats cool too. The Office is a kind of obvious choice... its the same format and such. But a couple current shows you might like are Brooklyn 99, Man Seeking Woman and Silicon Valley. Brooklyn 99 is the most similar to Parks and Rec right now. I think a lot of the same writers and producers work on Brooklyn 99 now. Chelsea Peretti was a writer/producer of Parks and Rec and she is a star on that show now. Really funny workplace comedy.

Man Seeking Woman is a little different, but Parks and Rec is kind of a spoof of Politics in a way. Man Seeking Woman is a more magical realistic spoof of dating. Its over the top but more over the top than Parks and Rec. There are trolls, aliens, penis monsters, guys loosing their penises. Its just really funny overall. It reminds me of Parks and Rec and Louie with the same over the top-ness of Comedy Bang Bang I guess. Like anything can happen, but really its sort of a spoof. Which is what I love about Parks and Rec.

And Silicon Valley is a good show. All of these "workplace comedy" shows kind of remind me of Mike Judge because of Office Space... and this is just something I think you might like if you like that type of humor. The characters are pretty similar and all in all its just another good show.

And my 2nd favorite (current) show Community will come back on Yahoo in March, so definitely check that out!

And 30 Rock because thats just as funny as Parks and Rec really. I like Parks and Rec just a smidge more than 30 Rock... but 30 Rock is probably #3. Top 5 comedies: Arrested Development, Parks and Rec, 30 Rock, Community... and Idk my number 5 actually. Probably Mindy Project.

And there are some great movies the cast of Parks and Rec have been in. Safety Not Guaranteed with Aubrey Plaza is brilliant. Idk if you've ever heard of Chris Pratt who plays Andy Dwyer, but he's in every movie now as he should be. Adam Scott is going to be in Hot Tub Time Machine 2 which comes out this week I think, if it isn't on already. Lol. Mean Girls is fantastic... ever heard of it? Really just look up your favorite character on IMDB and follow whatever they do. Those are my real recommendations lol. I started watching House of Lies because I love Ben Schwartz... but I haven't really lately... but when Parks and Rec is over I probably will.

Ohhh and Episodes is a good show you might like if you like Parks and Rec. Lol.


That is everything... hope you found that helpful!

Byeee!
-Shannon


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f