Skip to main content

Scribbles About News- 3rd Week of Feb

There's a lot of "woman" news this week, which is kind of cool. I wouldn't say its all feminist news... but just so you know. If you don't like women... you're probably an asshole and you won't like this post... so you can leave now. Lol.

I'm going to start this off with some really awful news, just because I can't not mention it, and I already wrote everything else and I don't want to put it underneath photos of Lady Gaga's engagement ring. Harris Wittels, who wrote for and produced Parks and Rec, The Sarah Silverman Program, and Eastbound and Down died at the age of 30, from what is believed to be a drug overdose. He's also appeared on several podcasts including Who Charted and Comedy Bang Bang, and hosted his own podcast called Analyze Phish where he tried to get CBB's Scott Auckerman to listen to Phish and like it. He's also from a band called Don't Stop or We'll Die and founded one of the best twitter accounts ever, humblebrag. I remember him talking on Who Charted about how he couldn't believe that he got to write for Easbound and Down and he was kind of humble-bragging about that and I thought "wow if this guy can write for a show he's actually a fan of I can too!" So, even though I don't believe Harris is the type of person to go for these overly gushy tribute types of things, I'd just like to say a big thank you to Harris because he made me realize "hey this guy is doing something he wants for a lot of awesome shows. I can do something I want for awesome shows too."

And seriously if you watch any episodes of Parks and Rec with the Pawnee Animal Control, you can see how funny this guy really is. I always laughed a lot when his character Harris was on. And Aziz Ansari posted this blog about him and its really funny and touching. He must have been a great friend and funnier than most people will ever know.

1) Woman gets Valentine's Day Surprise from her husband- A woman was surprised on Valentine's Day when she received flowers from her husband who had recently died. He went to the flower shop and paid to continue to have flowers sent to his wife every Valentine's day with a note that says "I'll love you forever" or something along those lines... lol I don't know the actual note, but it has the word forever or always in it. I've heard of stories like this before and I just think its sweet. Its nice that this woman has a day where its like her husband is there. Just sweet.

2) Woman hasn't thrown out trash in a year!- Honestly, I saw this as a story on the news, they kept saying "coming up next" before every commercial break, and I was interested in the story... but didn't actually get to see what it was. But I thought it was pretty cool and I did a google search for it and actually, a lot of people are going trash free nowadays. This woman is doing it and she wrote a quick little blog about why she decided to do it and how she feels about it now... and its pretty amazing. I'm not saying this lifestyle choice is for everyone or that I would ever consider doing it... but she does make some good points about cutting back on the trash that you make... and if we followed it even just a little bit, we could probably help the environment a lot. I think a little can make a big difference, and its amazing to me that there are lots of people making this change. I'm really vain and I need a lot of things in my life lol... so idk if it works for me... but if it works for you go for it! Thats pretty awesome.

3) Amy Schumer responds awesomely to sexist critic- I've mentioned loving Amy Schumer many times before on this blog. She is probably my favorite comedian of the moment... maybe tied with Louis CK... but yeah. She's pretty great. Anyyywayyy she has a new movie coming out that she wrote and she stars in called Trainwreck and it looks amzing, if you click on the word there, you can see the trailer! Anyway a critic reported that Judd Apatow is doing another project with a smart but not conventionally attractive woman that he said in the real world wouldn't be the love interest the way she is shown in this movie... wait what? First off, Amy Schumer is gorgeous. She's also super confident and she'll poke fun at herself, but she has the confidence to do that because she is herself. She responded that she didn't read the article and thinks its a good thing that he seems to be the only critic focusing on looks instead of on the actual trailer itself. She then posted on instagram saying she's a size 6 and doesn't plan on changing anytime soon. Then she posted some amazing insta photos, one of her looking like she's twerking that says something like "am I pretty enough' and the other of her with her face contoured ridiculously and says... something along the same lines... lol. I didn't want to post those photos here, but check out her instagram because she's amazing and really... she is a real woman. Like there are too many movies where girls look perfect and they're playing "the plain girl" or "the ugly girl" or something along those lines... that its just nice to see a movie not focused on looks... just focused on an actual plot. I miss those movies lol.



4) Eddie Murphy refuses to impersonate Bill Cosby for SNL- If you watched the SNL special you may have noticed that they made a big deal about Eddie Murphy... who was on for like 4 seconds. Chris Rock introduced him, and he didn't even do any scenes or anything. Bill Cosby's applauded him for not doing his impression... I feel like thats not the support you want right now lol. Eddie Murphy's done some crappy things too... so he really doesn't need Bill Cosby's support right now... So yeah lol.

5) Ms. P wins Westminster dog show- The Oscars may be on Sunday, but the real stars all went to westminster! Thats right! The famous dog show took place this week and a beagle named Ms. P was awarded best in Show. She accepted the award proudly and now she is looking to retire, settle down and have a few pups... no literally. Thats what she's doing. Lol. My dog Spencer comes from a long line of show dogs, and I love him... but just know that show dogs are a bit more mischievous than the ones on tv. Lol. (adopting from a local shelter is also a good option.) She's such a cute dog though! Look how proud she is! I love dogs lol.

6) Vatican City opens a place to help the homeless- Now in Vatican City they have a place where homeless people can take a shower and shave. I think thats great, it may not seem like much, but sometimes thats all you need. Can you imagine not being able to shower every day? It must be so uncomfortable to do, and now they have a place to do do that. Its just one of those nice things we don't always think about, but if we didn't have it it would be horrible.

7) New Dr. Seuss book to be released in June- This is exciting news, a new Dr. Seuss book has been uncovered and they will be releasing it soon. The book is called "which pet should I get" and it shows illustrations done by Seuss himself also I believe... or someone with a very seuss-like taste. The cat on the cover of the book looks a little familiar... lol. I love Dr. Seuss and I am happy that this book was uncovered for New generations to get excited for.


8) Woman Crawls to the finish line in Austin Marathon- This story is truly inspirational. A woman from Kenya was running in the Austin Marathon and all of a sudden, her legs gave out... but that didn't stop her from crossing the finish line. She refused medical attention, and she refused to be put in a wheelchair and she crawled for the rest of the race and passed the finish line. She says she doesn't remember a lot of the race... she doesn't remember crossing the finish line... but I think she is still beaming with pride for finishing and for truly making a brave stride towards the finish line. She even made it to third place in her division. Although this is inspirational, it is also very dangerous to do, and she was taking some serious serious health risks to do so... but truly she trained hard and believed in herself and crossed the finish line... and she's okay now. So it isn't something I would do... obviously I don't even run. As I said before I'm vain, I would probably start running and be like "yeah this is hard take me out of here" and put myself in a wheelchair... but its inspiring to me to see someone really really go for it and achieve their goal. Modern medical attention can help her for sure, and she did it! If you want to watch the video it is right here, it is a little hard to watch knowing that this woman must have been in unbearable pain... but its still such an amazing thing that she did that. I think its pretty cool.

9) Vanilla Ice Arrested- Rapper and now reality tv star Vanilla Ice was arrested this week for robbing a home. I believe he was renovating it for his new Home Improvement show... could be completely off about this... but the house was empty... Ice went inside and then the house was robbed... basically. Lol. So yeah... that is a thing. He seems so normal now that I was totally telling people "Vanilla Ice is normal and (pun intended) a cool dude now. If you listen to "How Did This Get Made" he actually was a special guest star when they talked about his movie Cool as Ice and he seemed super excited that people were still talking about this movie... even if it was bad. Lol. He just seemed like a cool dude and its sad that I believed in him and he did that. Shame on you Vanilla Ice!

10) Lady Gaga engaged to Taylor Kinney- After a lot of speculation of a commitment ceremony as well as the two really wanting to get married but not having the time... Kinney finally put a ring on it! Okay that wasn't Gaga, it was Beyonce, but seriously he put a beautiful, ginormous heart shaped diamond ring on Gaga's finger in the hopes of becoming Lord Gaga... lol. But in all honesty I'm super happy that the two are getting married. I love Lady Gaga and she's absolutely adorable with Taylor who is also super super hot... and they just seem so happy together. On the back of her ring in diamonds it says "T <3's S" for Taylor loves Stefani. Lady Gaga mentioned that this is one of the things she really loves about the ring and about her future hubby because he's always referred to her by her real name. Not a huge deal for normal people, but for Gaga... I'm sure that means he's a keeper. Here are the pics of the ring... it is gorgeously Gaga and I'm so happy that this is her ring lol.




And I was going to stop here... but other crazy things happened too... so here are some more things... 

11) Prince Harry secretly dating Emma Watson?- Wow! I'm happy about this and I hope Harry is good to her and doesn't do anything stupid because she is an overall awesome person and... I love her lol. And I want her to be a princess and have a big royal wedding also... that would be cool to have a royal Potter wedding... omg. 

12) Colbert grows a beard + Kim Jung Un gets a haircut- I figured I'd put these together because its different facial changes for people... so they go together lol. Stephen Colbert grew a beard, and its a little grey but I think he can pull off the mountain man look. I'm all for beards as long as they're well groomed... and his doesn't look like its groomed amazingly well... but he's Stephen Colbert, I'm always going to be okay with Colbeard. Colbert will also guest star on The Mindy Project sometime soon! 

And Kim Jung Un also got a shaved type of hair cut? I've looked at articles and I can't really tell if its his old bad hair or his new bad hair to be honest. So yeah, thumbs down for his hair, thumbs up for Colbert facial hair. Ohhh okay, I saw it, its pretty much the shape of a sausage. Its pretty bad. 

13) American Horror Story's Ben Woolf hospitalized after car accident- This is sad. The actor that played Meep on American Horror Story freakshow was in a car accident this week and is now in the hospital. I wish him a happy and speedy recovery and hope everything is okay. Ohhh wait... it wasn't actually a car accident. He was jaywalking and was struck by a cars mirror and I suppose because he is only 4 feet tall, its more critical than it normally would be. I'm still a little shaken because of the news of Harris Wittels and then Julia Robert's mother also passed away, reports are saying... so it just seems like "ohhh all these bad things happened today" type of news and its just very dark. 

14) Monique blackballed?- This week the academy award winning actress and comedian said that she's been "blackballed" from getting movie roles including ones for "The Butler" and for the tv show "Empire" and an upcoming biopic about Richard Pryor. Apparently the actress didn't do the politics of being nominated for an oscar, she didn't campaign for the award or anything, she just won the good old fashioned way... which is probably not old fashioned at all cause I'm pretty sure hollywood politics always existed... but yeah. Since she didn't play the game, she isn't getting the roles. Theres a lot weird with Hollywood  and this is one of those things. She's a good actress and a funny person and its sad she isn't getting the roles just cause of that... but I guess you gotta play the game to get the puddin! She didn't play the game and did get the puddin, but still. Lol. 


So yeah... lots of crazy and interesting stuff this week!
Bye! 
-Shannon 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f