Skip to main content

Scribbles about Movies: Review of Black or White

So this is going to be a weird review... because I don't totally know how I feel about the movie. It wasn't really good and it wasn't really bad. There was a lot wrong with it, but I didn't hate it and I'm kind of happy I saw it, but sort of wished maybe I had waited for it to come out on TV.

First thing is first: I do not like Kevin Costner as an actor. I thought he was really really bad in this movie and i felt little to no sympathy for his character at all... I mean his daughter had died and his wife died... but at the same time he couldn't do ANYTHING. Like there are simple tasks pretty much everyone can do... he couldn't do them. He hired a tutor because his daughter's 3rd grade math was too hard for him and he had the tutor tutor him in the math as well... thats a bit of a stretch. He was also very mean to people for no reason, and I don't think that he was a bad guy all around... but there was no big redeeming factor for him in the end. I mean you would think he would learn something about race, class, family, friendship or love or something in the course of the movie... but he really doesn't at all. And he's not a complete bad guy... but really his kind of "big win" moment of the movie was a speech he made in court and it was kind of offensive really. I don't remember exactly what it was but he said something about him noticing the color of a person's skin just like the first thing he'll notice about an attractive woman is her breasts... I just don't like that answer... lol. Idk I feel like noticing the color of someone's skin is a lot different than staring at a woman's breasts... That isn't a win. I feel like there is a difference between "noticing the color of a person's skin" and "judging someone based on their skin color." I think Costner's character was slightly more the latter and I think seeing a woman's breasts is also more of a judgement as to weather or not she's attractive... so that isn't a win speech to me.

Also, they make you think that the movie is going to really "go there" and it really doesn't. The main plot of the movie is Kevin Costner raising this little girl that is his granddaughter after his daughter dies during childbirth. He flat out blames the father of the granddaughter for the daughter's death... which isn't really right. And the movie never says "no that isn't why your daughter died." All the father of the little girl did was get Kevin Costner's daughter pregnant, which yes she did die in childbirth but I don't think you can really blame him for that when it brought about this little girl that you love and you're fighting to raise into the world? Thats just a bit weird. And when I say it almost "goes there," Kevin Costner's character implies that his daughter was raped... but he didn't actually rape her. There was an established relationship between the girl and her boyfriend, which they touch on for like a second in the movie in like the weirdest way... idk its just like they make really weird choices and that wasn't really handled well. And the way they conducted the courtroom was totally outrageous and weird and not something that would happen in real life.

There were also a few pet peeves of mine in this movie... I love Bill Burr. I think he's a really funny comedian, and he can actually act. He's good on Kroll Show and Breaking Bad and I thought he was good in this movie... but they didn't A) establish the relationship of his character and Kevin Costner's character and B) Didn't really establish his relationship with Gillian Jacobs enough. And Gillian was being so nice and Kevin Costner was so mean to her! And they kind of had her acting dumber than she was and I didn't like that. Mrs. Gary Marshall isn't dumb! Lol! (she isn't really married to Gary Marshall, but you know what I mean if you like Comedy Bang Bang.) Britta Perry would have found it offensive.

Also they had a lot of weird art all around Kevin Costner's house. Like I feel like they were just putting up stereotypical things only white people would buy all over their house. It was a little weird.

Yeah, I feel like I'm saying all these negative things about the movie... but overall it wasn't a bad movie. It was a little long, cheesy, and unrealistic at times... but the concept was good. Octavia Spencer was really good in it. I like what the message of the movie was attempting but I don't think it fully pulled that off. I didn't really think Kevin Costner's character was that good a guy to be the big "hero" of the movie... so I thought part of it was a little weird. The ending kind of makes you feel good but its also like "ohhh maybe it shouldn't have ended that way. I don't think that one thing should have happened."

So I think I'm happy I saw this movie... but would I recommend paying for it? No. I feel like there are better movies about race out there that have a better message and a better ending. This claimed to be "inspired by true events" which is much much different than saying "based on a true story" so I don't think everything about it necessarily happened in real life... I'm sure things like this do happen though, and it is a sad thing... but I don't think this movie was done well enough to convey the strong meaning behind it all.

So that is it. If you liked the trailer or anything, I don't think you would be disappointed in this movie... but movies are expensive so maybe wait till its on tv. Lol.

Byeee!
-Shannon



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f