Skip to main content

Scribbles about Books: Horns by Joe Hill

I picked this book up not too long ago because after seeing the trailer for the movie and seeing it was based on a book I thought "Hey, that looks good. I should read the book." Then my friend gave me a Barnes and Noble gift card for my birthday and I thought "Hey I wanted to read Horns, I should grab that." And I did, and I had to read it around halloween of corse!

So this is my kind of horror story first of all. I love that the universe it takes place in is very realistic and very small-town. If you've noticed in some of my other book reviews... I like mysteries that take place in small towns. And its very believable because the world and the characters are all so real. I think its a good book just for that.

The book starts out with this guy Ignatious, or Ig a year after his girlfriend Merrin is murdered. He grows horns from out of his head... for no real reason. And then a few chapters in we find out who really did it and then we find out why and that this person is crazy and everything. It is a very detailed book. There is nothing that goes unexplained throughout the book, there is a reason and an answer to everything. It drags on a bit in the beginning because his horns make people confess their darkest secrets and they do wayyy to many examples of that. Its also slightly hard to visualize some of the things, so I'm happy that there is a movie because I feel like I didn't get some parts. The ending in particular is a bit hard to understand and would be good in a movie.

One thing that I didn't like at first was that it skips in time. Like the first 10 chapters are about what Ig was like now and his life now and how he got the horns and their powers. At the end of chapter 10 we find out who killed Merrin and then Chapter 11 goes over how Ig and Merrin met and what Ig was like when he was younger. And that is all important to the rest of the book but while reading it its like "... really?" Lol. And at the same time you aren't sure the person that did it did it but you can see his craziness.

Also this might be kind of a spoiler... but I noticed some interesting connections between some of the names and the 7 deadly sins.

Glenna= Gluttony. She's described as plump, curvy and her first confession to Ig is that she wants to eat a whole box of donuts even though she isn't hungry. It also seems to be a sexual gluttony... interpret that as you will lol I don't want to explain it really.

Lee= Lust. He lusts after Merrin and Glenna and other girls in the town. Young, innocent looking girls mostly.

Eric= Envy. He is jealous of Ig and Terry. He resents them because they are rich and his family is not. Plus his dad is sick or was in the war I believe... I forget but he is envy.

I forget what the cops names were. I think its Strutz and Paloma or something of that nature. Strutz= sloth. He wants to arrest Lee even though he doesn't think he did it just because he's easy to accuse. He could have probably found out who killed Merrin, but he's so lazy he doesn't. And the other cop is Pride. He's gay but he's too proud to admit it.

I didn't notice any other name connections really... I'm sure they were all there, but these were what I noticed. Also there are a lot of music and pop culture references which I loved. There's a point where Ig puts on a blue dress and he says "What do you think I am? The Devil in a blue dress." Its really really funny too. And it points out a lot of interesting things. There are lots of words brought up multiple times. It is very interesting overall. The end was... odd. Again I'm not totally sure what happened. Lol it was hard to visualize... but it was a good ending. I guess it was kind of satisfying. I wanted Merrin to say something a bit more about how she died... because that was complicated and I would have liked to see her as a ghost talking about it. I don't want to give away the end but it makes sense if you read it I guess? Lol not sure. If you've read it or saw the movie and have thoughts... feel free to comment.

Oh and if you look on the back cover they show a picture of Joe Hill. You may think "wow he looks exactly like Stephen King." He is Stephen King's son! But he doesn't want to rely on that... which now that I think about it is kind of a theme in the book. Ig's brother Terry is famous.... interesting lol.

Sooo yeah Im probably going to watch the movie now... Lol. Its on demand!

Byeee!
-Shannon.

P.S I'm writing this and my dog is scratching me like saying "pay attention to me mommy!" It's so funny and cute!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f