Skip to main content

Scribbles About TV: American Horror Story Cult Review

So... for the first time in the history of me watching American Horror Story... I have no issues with the first episode of a season! Yayyy! I wanted them to do something election themed in their season last year... just because it seemed like such a missed opportunity to not have something election themed... I don't care what your thoughts on the election are... but obviously- everyone talks about Elections... it's just there all the time. And this one in particular was a bit of a shocker to a lot of people and there are VERY strong opinions on it... so it makes sense.

And the weird thing is... it really isn't that political. They show why people aren't supporting Donald Trump... makes sense. They show why people don't support Hillary... Makes sense. They show why people support Hillary... also makes sense... They show why people support Trump- I can't actually say they really made sense of that though... I think because the main Trump supporter shown in this is Kai and he's pretty crazy. The cashier was maybe a more rational person that was a Trump supporter? He didn't really say anything though. Idk... I think maybe it's my bias- maybe the shows bias... or maybe just because the character of Kai is so crazy and over the top and evil... but idk- I think they'll have something to make all sides feel more equal.

The show didn't necessarily feel political though. It wasn't like something like the Blackish episode after the election- where you would probably side with or against Lucy... but Lucy had valid points and the rest of the office did too. That one felt more political... this the politics is just kind of the background noise of it? It's like watching someone you don't agree with politically and just kind of moving on from that... I can't say there was anyone I could relate to on a political level in this show... I can understand the people not realizing how important their vote was until after the election... that makes sense to me I guess.

My other favorite thing about this season is that this is what they REALLY needed to make reference to. It would have been a huge missed opportunity not to have at least an episode about the election... to do a whole season with this as kind of the catalyst to everything... it's very well done and it is what they really had to do. I'm glad they didn't do it before because there had been rumors of a white house season before this season was announced... and I feel like maybe they knew they wouldn't have to do an election themed season unless they had to... and they had to... so they did!

I also thought that the acting was very good. Sarah Paulson and Evan Peters are always great- it's great to see them as the two leads again. It's also nice to see them not together... I thought they were supposed to be a couple... but it's nice to see that they aren't in this episode at least!

Also good to see some new faces. I always like seeing the familiar faces of AHS... but this season we don't have Angela Basset, Kathy Bates, Lady Gaga and I don't think we have Lilly Rabe... but we have Billy Lourde who was really good in this episode and we have Alison Pill... I think that's what her name was? I believe she plays Sarah Paulson's partner and she was good... although- I am suspicious of her.

And I figured I'd talk about some of my past complaints with the first episode... I've kind of forgiven them over the years because after complaining about things- I did notice a big change the following season... so they improved on it I think... but yeah.

Season 1- I didn't think Vivian was the strongest female character in the pilot... and I didn't like that there was really no clue as to what was going on.

Season 2- The aliens. What the hell?

Season 3- I really liked the first episode of Coven... I think maybe it went on a little long though.

Season 4- I had no idea what was going on in Freak Show and I actually fell asleep while watching it.

Season 5- I liked this one too... but they took a really long time with the tourists that were there for Universal... also had no idea what was going on and I could have just done without the Addiction Demon entirely.

Season 6- I loved this season... but the first episode was a True Life Mockumentary and it just wasn't that scary. It got scary as the season went on... but it just wasn't scary at first.

And no complaints this season. Perfect length... it was very scary but I didn't think it was overly scary. I followed it really well... there weren't too many characters- not to many fantastical elements you didn't understand either. There were maybe some clues as to what might happen throughout the season... but there weren't too many... and I just thought it was really good! I like Evan Peters as the bad guy... but I feel like Sarah Paulson's character and her wife's character aren't as innocent as you'd think.The opening credits with the hand washing... idk that made me wonder if there's blood on someone's hands from something that happened!

So... yeah I think that's all I have to say for now... I might try to film a video on this too... that'll be fun! I kind of want to do video recaps. Lol.

Byeee!
-Shannon



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f