Skip to main content

Scribbles about Movies: Gone Girl Review

This is a movie based on my favorite book ever and I have to say, it is also one of my favorite movies ever. If I ever write a mystery that gets turned into a movie, I want it done like this... and I kind of want David Fincher to direct it.

I'm going to try to do this without spoiling the end... but that's going to be so difficult. I'll tell you the general structure of what happens though. The book and movie both have a beginning, a middle and an end, as do most things in life. In the beginning you think one thing. You may have a sneaking suspicion that something else is up... but you are quickly debunked. You can try to guess who did it, but ultimately you'll end up having one thought. You really aren't going to like Nick Dunne, whether you think he did it or not and you will just really not understand why he's so stupid. Then there's this big bombshell in the middle of the book that is the biggest twist in the history of the world probably... and you don't know what to believe in your life anymore. On a scale of how shocking it is, I would say about as shocking as in GOT when they killed the main character at the end of season 1! It's pretty damn shocking. And then you're just hooked on the edge of your seat till the end. To use a term from The League, its almost the Vinegar Strokes of the book. You can't stop for anything and you just need to know what's happening and have that in your life. And then it ends and the world is different because of it, and you question everything about existence.

I saw the movie with my parents and my Nana (awkward cause it has a lot of sex in it... plus some tits and I think maybe Ben Affleck's dong? Could be mistaken.). None of them had ever read the book, and I knew that there was no way they would know what was happening... and honestly it was so funny to see their reactions! My mom totally hated Ben Affleck's character in the beginning and then after the big thing was revealed... uhhh! It was just too much! It was so good! And each time they thought they had it figured out there was something else that was new and different and it was funny. I even read the book, knew very well what was going to happen and I was still kind of thinking that the story was going one way. It still totally had me at the edge of my seat!

And I think the movie is much darker than the book also. The bad guy is even more bad in the movie and it's just perfect.

The casting of this movie from every minor role was absolutely amazing. Ben Affleck is absolutely Nick Dunne. Rosamund Pike really got to show her acting range from this role, and I'm sure will get an Oscar nomination for it. The actress that played Go was awesome. There were a lot of more comic actors in this movie in smaller parts and I think that's the way to go with this... it's a very over the top situation and that itself leads to some very comic moments that are almost a parody of itself. If you've ever read the book "The Stranger" by Albert Camus, its kind of like that. With a lot of absurdities and far too incredible moments. If I were to direct that, I would use probably all comic actors to highlight the ridiculousness of it.

One thing I loved about the book that I didn't think the movie would show that much, but it did go into pretty much great detail on was the world that these characters live in. We're in a recession, Amy and Nick are jobless, they move down south to a run-down town that Nick grew up in so that they could help his mother. And the town is brought together, torn apart and kind of rebuilt from this tragedy... and its kind of a dark thing to think about that is very very real. I thought the movie really captured that world. This seems to be kind of a theme in Gillian Flynn's other works as well. I noticed that in the first chapter of Sharp Objects the world doesn't seem that far off.

I highly HIGHLY recommend you go see this movie. It was totally sold out at my movie theater this week, and since our world isn't unlike the world of Gillian Flynn novels, movie theaters are a little rare around here and there is really only one local movie theater that plays big movies now (we somehow have 3 independent movie theaters and 1 revival-type of theater that shows one movie, usually thats been out for a while in one theater for $6.) Read the book too! The book is a little better than the movie... but the movie was pretty damn good.

5 out of 5 stars!

Byeeee!
-Shannon


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f