Skip to main content

Trueblood Finale Review with lots of spoilers!

I didn't want to post this yesterday because I'm going to spoil everything pretty much. There isn't much to spoil though, I mean yeah I'm going to say how an entire series ends, but honestly with a lot of finales, the finale doesn't definie the show as a whole. And this had a much different tone than any other episode of this show, so it doesn't fully define the show if that makes any sense. The main actions of this season have already been set into place, so yeah. And this was a really happy finale. Surprisingly more happy than How I Met Your Mothers finale... And I'm really happy that Seth Meyers announced just how grim that finale was lol. For a show that's all about death and my main thought of the end would be that everyone would die... I was surprised everyone lived. Well not everyone but well get to that. 

The show focused pretty much only on Sookie and her choice... But not the usual choice that Sookie is making between which vampire, werewolf, or shapeshifter to love, but rather whether or not to use her light to kill Bill. By using this light, not only would Sookie kill Bill, but she would also give up her powers as a fairy. This whole concept is slightly crazy. It hasn't been brought up at all this season. We don't even know that Bill knows it. It seemed like they both a) set this up for a while when they wrote it and b) had no idea when they were writing it and just thought "ohhh hey that whole 'Sookie can kill vampires and get rid of her powers' thing is a good idea. Let's role with that," and that's what they ended up doing. It was convenient, the story wasn't bad at all it was actually quite meaningful in the show... But it seemed kind of thrown in. They could have dragged one more story a little further and had another episode in the season just so that Bill's knowledge and request on the matter would make a little more sense. All I'm saying lol. 

Also the whole time I was thinking that was a stupid thing for Bill to ask. He's thinking he's being selfless because he wants her to have kids and grandkids and for no other vampires to be around her, but really it's still kind of a selfish thing to ask. Her kids could be fairies as well, wouldn't she want to protect them from vampires. Wouldn't she want them to feel special? If she tells them that she was also fairy once but got rid of her powers, wouldn't the kids want the same? It's pretty much just Bill wanting Sookie to give up all other vampires because they weren't him. 

Now the Eric and Pam story is another story I think there could have been a bit more too. Pam and Eric let Sarah free, she drinks Pam's blood so Pam can find her. Eric goes out to kill the trueblood guys that are after Sookie. He does and then carries their bodies away in a car as he does a head bobbing dance. Meanwhile Pam finds Sarah on a carasoul and says she went there because that's where Eric turned Willa according to Bill Comptons book. She begs Pam to turn her and she says she'll do lesbian stuff to her if she does so. Pam doesn't want to turn her, but she drinks her blood because she hasn't been vaccinated yet... Which is odd because A) we know damn well there is no vaccine because the only cure is Sarah's blood and B) idk if there really is a B... But it did seem odd and random. Like they were just trying to remind you this show is about vampires who drink blood. Then we don't see Eric and Pam until the end of the episode...so we don't even know what to think. I would have liked to have seen them a little more. I think they should have made the finale like an hour and a half or something just to have things make a tiny bit more sense. 

Also when I was making my predictions I predicted that there would be a wedding, which there was, but not the one I thought. Jessica and Hoyt got married because Bill was happy to see the two together, but he wanted Jeasica to be spoken for since he never got a chance to walk his own daughter down the aisle. Jessica then decided she wanted Bill to walk her down the aisle so she and Hoyt would get married that day. Andy, Holly, and Arlene all came over to see them get married and so Andy could perform the ceremony. Sookie leant a dress to Jessica and helped her get ready. Jason was the best man for Hoyt. It was all very lovely. I cried. I wanted Jessica to end up with Jason, but I liked that she told Hoyt the truth before getting back together with him, so I think they made this work. Of corse they needed to do a vampire wedding at the end of the series to show that "love is love." The series as a whole is an allegory to gay rights and equality, so it just makes sense to put that in there as well. And it was actually quite beautiful. 

At the wedding, Sookie heard something she's never heard before (in the tv show, in the book it mentions she hears snippets): Bill Compton's thoughts. He just thought of how happy he was and how much he wanted all of this for Sookie. Sookie held his hand and he thought of how much he loved Sookie and just all nice loving thoughts for Sookie. He had told Sookie that he disease made him more human than he's ever been in his whole life and now Sookie could tell. After the wedding, Sookie decided to tell Bill that she could do the favor he asked. 

The scene with Sookie a Bills grave was very special... But i thought one line was really funny. I don't know it exactly but it was something like "I've been standing here for quite some time and there's one thing I keep thinking. Why do you have a coffin?" Really Sookie? That's the one thing you've been thinking this whole time???? I seriously doubt that that is what Sookie had been thinking the whole time! I can see why they wrote it: They wanted to have a coffin there and instead of having a bunch of people at home going "what's the deal with the coffin" they thought they would explain it. I don't think that many people would have questioned it though. He isn't dead but he has a grave already because he was a soldier. We know that, can't we assume the coffin is there as well? Couldn't they address it when he sees the picture of his daughter? Did they really need the coffin? Could they have had Sookie get him a coffin and then do the whole thing? Would have taken just as much time. That line was about as useless as Sam Merlottes storylines after season 2. 

Anyhow, Sookie and Bill shared some thoughts and feelings and whatnot. Blah blah blah. Sookie conjures up her light and gets ready to use it... But she can't. She can't get rid of being a fairy. It is a part of her just like that Jason is her brother. She also says Bill will always be a part of her and she'll never forget him, so whoever was writing this was also a little repetitive and probably has never had to mercy kill a significant other. Lol. I guess that makes sense, but really. They leave the whole thing about the coffin in, but they get repetitive on Sookie and Bill's last moments together? Ohh yeah and then Sookie stakes him with the shovel because he still wants to die. And her dress gets all blood soaked and now it's up on eBay and you can bid on it and the money will go to charity. 

Anyhow after that, we get to the regular trueblood time-jump and see Eric and Pam doing an infomercial for new blood, acting all cheesey and cutesy. They said they had they made the new blood because of a hunch Pam had that Sarah Newlin drank all of the antidote to hep v and was probably the cure. Sarah had escaped before they could get to her, but they found a few drops of her blood so that they could make the cure. It also shows them on Wall Street and their NewBlood company is extremely successful. They also show them at Fantasia busier than ever and of corse in the dungeon is Sarah Newlin getting whored out as a vampire drinks her blood, all chained up. Pam is happy being a Madam again. At first I thought that Sarah Newlin may not be the worst villain the shows ever had and that this is a pain that is much worse than death for her... But then I also thought that this seemed fitting. If this happend to whoever started the Westboro Baptist Church (even though he's dead now) I would think this would be too easy on him... So that in mind it is fitting. I didn't like them showing that she was still being tortured by the memory of her husband Steve Newlin... Because he isn't a good guy either. He started the church with her, and he also betrayed other vampires just to get out of the vampire camp... I would have felt that this was the end that Sarah actually deserved without him. That's all. 

And then it shows the future of everyone else in Bon Temps. Sookie is pregnant and they are getting ready for a big thanksgiving bash with everyone in town. Jason is with Bridgette and has a bunch of kids, Arlene is with her vampire man, Jessica is still with Hoyt, Holly and Andy are together, Lafayette is with his vampire man, Addy and Wade are together, Willa is there, Sam and Nicole are there with their kids. Everyone is together and having a great time and they are all happy. We don't actually see the face of Sookie's husband, but I'm sure he's a super hot and amazing human. 

And that was that. It was a good finale. Not the best ever, but I thought it was very fitting for the series, even though it was really happy. I was happy not everyone died, I was happy Sookie kept her powers. And there wasn't too much I would change other than what I've already mentioned. 

Let me know what you guys thought! 

BYEEEE! 
-Shannon 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f