Skip to main content

Stuff That Happened This Week... Well really last week. (Week Starting 8/10/14)

I usually like to post these over the weekend... But I was in Pennsylvania, I already wrote the A-Z review so I just posted that, but a lot happened last week and it's still important so I'm still posting. 

1) Actor Robin Williams died at the age of 63- This is probably the saddest I have ever been at a celebrity death, but at the same time it's kind of made me feel more connected to people. There are so many different generations that said "I grew up with Robin Williams" because really we all have really. A lot of people grew up with him as Mork, I grew up with him as Genie and Mrs. Doubtfire and Jumanji. Were all mourning this loss and it's really really sad for everyone because he truly has made a difference in a lot of lives. My friend first got into acting because she loved Robin Williams so much. My sister met him at a Boston Train Station and helped him get to the venue he was performing at and he was really nice to her and she even got his autograph. I always watched Mrs.Doubtfire when I was little and whenever they played "Dude Looks Like A Lady" I always screamed "Do The Lumpineven!" (Because that's what I thought the song said) and I danced with my toy vacuum cleaner and pretended I was Mrs. Doubtfire. He started a scholarship for Juiliard to help young, gifted actors, one of those being Jessica Chastain. Everyone has some sort of different story or memory because of his performances and even his real life behavior. 

I've also seen a lot of Robin Williams movies that I totally forgot about. Jumanji,Aladdin (my first movie), The Birdcage, Hook (just saw), Mrs. Doubtifre, License to Wed, RV, House of D, Dead Poets Society, Man of The Year... He was just great. And it's not like he was ever bad in any of these movies, he was amazing in all of them. Even Man Of The Year which I didn't completely LOVE, but he was so entertaining in it that I would watch it again because he was just so funny and talented in it. 

He died of a suicide due to hanging, which is even sadder because he must have been terribly depressed and he's so funny you would never really know that he was. He also recently found out that he had Parkinson's disease, which can cause depression. Its a sad cycle, if you do have depression, please seek help. Talk to someone that you love and trust, you can seek counseling you can call the suicide prevention hotline. There are so many people that love you and that want to help you because every peroson matters. You are here for a reason, you are loved and you are perfect the way you are. I may not know you, but I like Lady Gaga's born this way mentality. You were born here on this planet to be you, and that is the perfect you to be. Don't be anyone else cause you are the perfect you. This may sound cheesy and I'm no expert, so I have no idea if anything that I'm saying is helpful or if anyone is reading it: but we need to actually talk about this stuff! On the news they keep just saying "we need to address the issue of depression and talk about it and not have a stigma against it" but not actually saying anything other than that. We need to actually talk about it because that is the only way to actually get awareness about it. 

That's all I have to say about that. Hopefully it was helpful, if not... At least we are actually talking about it. It's sad, but if we ignore it, it will only get worse. 

2) Better Call Saul teaser shows it will be out in February 2015- On a lighter note, during AMC's Breaking Bad Binge a Marathons, they showed a teaser preview of the prequel to breaking bad, which is Better Call Saul, which will finally be released this coming Febuary! I signed up for an email alert about Better Call Saul, so I will be updating this show as frequently as AMC updates me. Lol which it will also probably get released to the public, but if for some reason you're only news source is this blog and not the actual news... This is perfect for you! 

3) Billy Joel sings Uptown Girls to a surprise guest- During Billy Joel's concert last weekend he sang the song Uptown Girls and on the jumbotron it showed a surprise guest: The Uptown Girl herself Christie Brinkly, Joel's ex-wife who he actually wrote the song about! I wonder if Jerry Girgitch saw and what he thought about it, since he is her current husband lol. This was a cute little news story that I thought was cute and different than you would think. 

4) Mom Arrested For Helping Son With Fire Challenge- I was half listening to this story in the morning, after my dog woke me up earlier than I wanted. I also thought that they would report on this more but then after the Robin Williams news I didn't hear about this anymore. Apparently on YouTube, kids have been setting themselves on fire and saying it's " the fire challenge". Some brilliant kid got the help from his even more brilliant mom and now she's being arrested for this. This is stupid. It's just bad and stupid. If you feel the need to film yourself setting yourself on fire, do yourself a favor and dump a bucket of ice on yourself instead. That will help raise awareness for ALS or raise money for it and you won't possibly die or get injured or arrested. In fact moms should just dump a bucket of ice on their kids attempting to do this and give their allowance to ALS!  No fire challenges! 

5) Artist says he painted the Brooklyn Bridge flags White- Some Artist claims that they were the people that recently dyed the American Flags on the Brooklyn Bridge. I think that the artist was foreign, but it didn't sound like an act of violence to America, but it's still vandalism. I don't think it's right and it's downright scary that they pulled something like that off and no one saw... It's weird and just kind of a scary thing. It's still something that is being investigated, I will keep you updated again if for some reason this is the only way you get your news. 

6) Lauren Bacall dies at 89- Another great loss in the film world this week, Lauren Bacall died at the age of 89. I have to admit, I didn't actually know who she was. She is still a great classic Hollywood actress I'm sure and the lights dimmed on Broadway in memory of her. I always think that's a great thing Broadway does to remember their stars of any age, and it's something really special to remember such a legend even. 

7) Michael Cera Pulls a Beyoncé and drops a secret folk album- in unexpectedly badass news, Michael Cera released a secret folk album. What? George Michael Bluth???? I actually knew he was a real singer because when Arrested Development was on, I was on a few message boards for the show and they mentioned he had a myspace for his band. I didn't know he was much of a folk singer or anything though, but this is cool that he actually pulled a Beyoncé like that! 

8) Deadly Selfie- Here's one for the Darwin Awards: a couple decided to take a selfie on the edge of a cliff... And they fell because it was a cliff and they died. Even before selfies were a thing, my sister said that when she went to Ireland they went somewhere where if you climbed outside of one area and there was a heavy wind, you would get blown away and die there. And there were obviously people there that decided to have a picnic. Smart. Guys be careful where you selfie, and things are usually off limits for a reason, so beware of that! 

9) Teenager lives in Wall Mart for 4 Days- This is a completely what the actual hell storyline. Apparently a teenager ran away from home and moved into a wall mart. No one noticed them for 4 days because they would make sure to change their clothes every few hours, stealing clothes from the store itself and eating food, using their supplies, not paying for any of it of corse and just chillin at wall mart for 4 days. It's bizarre! It is scary that that kid had that much of a plan that they actually followed through with and did everything undetected. So crazy. They remind me of Amy Dunne. 

10) First living Panda Triplets born and are safe- apparently it is rare for pandas to have three cubs and to have them survive, but it seems like all is good for these 3 cubs. They are the worlds first triplet pandas to survive and they are all expected to live, which is amazing. The pandas are too cute and I love little baby panda cubs. 

That is it for this week, I will have the trueblood recap tomorrow at some point because I couldn't post it. I also don't want to post the finale right after it airs because of spoilers, so I'll do that sometime after as well. 

BYEEEE! 
-Shannon 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f