Skip to main content

Stuff that Happened this week (5/4-5/11)

1) Condoleezza backs out of Rutgers Graduation Speech after protest from students and faculty- Okay, online it just says student protests, but I go to a Rutgers Campus and I know that the Faculty was also unhappy about the decision to get Condoleezza Rice to speak at graduation. Honestly, I did not understand the controversy over the decision until my professor informed me that he thought it was a bad idea. If you are like me and also didn't understand the protest, apparently it was her decision as Secretary of State to launch the War in Iraq. I understand the controversy over this and why a lot of people did not want her to speak, but at the same time how many people protesting have actually been Secretary of State during the war? I don't think it was an easy decision. I doubt when she was a little kid she dreamed of being Secretary of the United States during a tragic time in history and launching a war. It's not like its an easy choice to make or an easy job to have... and sure maybe a lot of the students protesting are thinking of doing a similar thing with their college degrees. Maybe they will end violence and war and do something amazing, but as someone that is going to college in order to write sitcoms one day... I can't say that I'd be able to make a decision like that.

And I don't think Rutgers chose her based on her decision to go to war, I think they chose her because she's a powerful woman of authority. She's a woman and a minority and I thought that that was inspirational in itself. Leslie Knope has a picture of her in her office, that shows that she is a powerful woman. I was young when the war started, I'm sure a lot of other students are too, so I guess that's no excuse for my lack of knowledge... but yeah. I'm not an expert on real news, I am only giving my opinion here. I'm a Rutgers expert I guess cause I go there. I wouldn't have been there when she's speaking because I'm on a different campus and I'm not graduating this semester, but still.

They also got Eric Legrand to speak, then backed out and got a senator, then got him back and said there is some sort of mix-up with how they worded asking him to speak. Anyway, that's good. I like Eric Legrand. I think he'll be very inspirational and do a great job.

2) Adam Levine dies...his hair Platinum Blonde- wahhht? He was so hot though! I feel like he did this for a reason, so let me check it out. LMAO I just realized I used the wrong dies... it's supposed to be dyes. I was too concerned about him dying his hair that I didn't even think "OMG HE DIED" lol. I thought he did it for a reason because they said that he posed with someone and I thought that was like an "I broke up with someone and dyed my hair" type of thing but nope, he posed with his fiance. This is a pretty boring story actually. I like how I went from all this opinion-y Condeleezza Rice story to "Adam Levine is blonde now" but yeah... I don't like the platinum blonde thing and idk why its a big deal that he posed with his fiance for the picture. Just pretty boring. lol.

3) Acrobats in Critical Condition after a Trapeze collapse in Ringling Bros Circus- This is really scary. I hope that the acrobats are alright. I know it seems like something they would probably take into consideration because they're doing dangerous work... but this is their everyday job. They probably approach it the way that anyone else would, I mean this is the norm for them and all of a sudden their injured because of it.

Ohhh wow. When I saw the word "Acrobats" I figured there were like 2 injured but the article I'm reading says that there were 20 of them that are now in critical condition. Wow. That is a lot. They have a video of the event too, but I don't really want to watch it.

I feel bad for the families that go to the circus too. I mean they're probably there on a nice family outing, maybe even some class trips are going there (that's what we used to do in grade school) and those kids are probably all really scared too.

It also makes you wonder how safe the contraptions that they are dealing with are. This happens a lot, some people from the play Spiderman were injured, there was a death in Cirque du Soliei not too

long ago... I really have to wonder how these circus people are checking their equipment and stage
stuff... I mean its a little scary to think about.

4) Meg Cabot Announces New Princess Diaries Book will be for Adults- This is actually news
 from last week, but I am freaking excited about this. I'm probably more excited about this than I have been for any book EVER! I love The Princess Diaries Book Series... it is amazing! I read them when
I was in 5th grade, and I haven't actually finished the series, but I have basically all the books except the last one. I think it's only the last 2 I haven't read and I'm definitely going to read them this summer. I'm probably going to reread the entire series and write blogs about them because these books are just the best. I may look a little silly reading a teen series... but I feel like I'll learn a lot about myself and just for nostalgia I need to reread these. Sooo SOoooo excited about this!

The plot is that Mia is marrying Michael, but she finds out her dad had another kid and that may be ruining her throne... and it's just amazing. I'm happy to see Mia and Michael as adults and I'll also be happy to see how she reacts to the situation of finding out she has a sister. Mia Thermopolis is a great character and I just want to know how she reacts to those things. And if she still has all her little quirks like smelling Michael's Neck! I love that! Lol.

5) Laura Prepon says "season 3 of OITNB is official"- I call bullshit on this story. I'm sure there will be a season 3 of Orange... But season 2 hasn't even aired yet. Netflix is a great network to have a show for because they can kind of do things like that, so I do believe that they could have said yes there will be a season three... But why the hell would Laura Prepon, someone not even a regular this year, be announcing this news. The actors don't know this stuff! Creators don't even always know this stuff! I feel like this is sort of an overstatement, and I'm sure the show will last several seasons, but I also call bullshit on this story just cause it isn't THAT simple to get a show made. Unless maybe Netflix is trying to get Season 3 to come out earlier and is speeding production... That I would believe, but i don't think Prepon should be announcing this and I wouldn't trust this news 100%. And
I lied, I still don't think this was supposed to be released yet, but it is confirmed. Netflix has picked up Orange is The New Black for Season 3.

6) Controversial Pictures of 13 year old Willow Smith released- This is a creepy headline and the pictures are indeed rather creepy. It's her lying in a bed with a shirtless 20 year old actor named Moises Arias. I say that the photos are creepy not because it looks like the two were doing anything inappropriate, it doesn't look like they were doing anything "wrong" its just a little creepy because she's so young. The pics look like a pic an older teenager or a grown up would be in. It's also a bit weird because of the age difference. Idk. I don't really want to make a big deal about it because I don't know the context of the picture and neither does anyone else, so they should leave the girl alone. I don't think that she's going to grow up to be like Justin Bieber or anything, I just think its a bit of a weird picture.

7) Fox Cancels Dads, Enlisted, and Surviving Jack, CW cancels Carrie Diaries-The first one is kind of shocking. I HATED Dads, but I recently read that it might be coming back and that The Mindy Project was being cut to 13 episodes next season. It was an interview with someone from Fox on TV Line, so I'm hoping both stories are made up. Enlisted isn't much of a surprise either. I think it got okay reviews, but it isn't going to be like Mash or anything... so yeah. Surviving Jack also looked like they made it to get cancelled. It's based off of a book, which I'm sure is very funny but this totally doesn't work as a tv show. First off its set in the 90's... which isn't exactly long ago, so I don't see how its different enough to constitute a show... and these sort of "harsh dad" tv shows don't really cut it anymore. If "Everybody Loves Raymond" were on the air today, it would probably get cancelled. Well no, it probably wouldn't... but a show with a similar concept to Everybody Loves Raymond probably wouldn't do well because we've seen it already. If I want to watch Everybody Loves Raymond I'll watch the repeats of Everybody Loves Raymond... I don't want to watch a show trying to be Everybody Loves Raymond. This is why I don't think How I Met Your Father will work. I think Girl Meets World will be different enough for people to like it... but the trailer looked terrible!

Anyway that is what I think of comedy right now. It will be better in a little bit when I enter the field... hopefully lol. Wow thats weird to think of!

The CW also cancelled The Carrie Diaries :( I'm really sad by this, but I feel like they wrapped the season up nicely. It was a good two seasons, and it was just a cute enjoyable show. I guess shows aimed at teenagers of today, but that take place in the 80s 

8) NBC Cancels Community- This just happened... So the news is still a little fresh to me. I'm not all that surprised since it was still on the bubble but Parks and Rec had already been renewed, but obviously I'm very upset. Community has been on all throughout my stay at college, so I kind of feel like I was a member of the study group too. I also was in class pretty much whenever it was on. I'm a little surprised because even though ratings are low, it has a cult following that will only grow. Human Beings for life!!!!

I knew it would only last one more season... And then maybe have a movie because six seasons and a movie. If you haven't watched Community yet, go check it out. If you watched the first episode and didn't like it, I didn't like the first episode either.  I would recommend watching Modern Warfare or Contemporary American Poultry from season one first,  let it sink in and see if you like some other episodes. The characters are really the best on television and there is no other television show quite like it right now. I watched the Meow Meow Beans episode with my mom not too long ago and she laughed! Watch it with your mom on Mother's Day! Lol.
 My mom also told me that it was the one show that every age group watched. I find that so fascinating. It probably appealed to a lot of different demographics also... I don't see how that doesn't get a season 6. I do feel like this years season finale felt like a fitting end for the study group,but I was kind of hoping Troy would reunite with them for a movie at least, after he finished sailing the
Childish Tycoon. Side note- I saw someone with a really cool bumper sticker of Donald Glover that was all holographic and shiz. It was funny.

Just another thing, sometime soon I'll probably do a post about all my favorite comedy shows that they still have new seasons of coming out and stuff. I know that in a few years from now everyone will be talking about how amazing community is the way that they talk about how amazing Arrested Development is now that it's over, and I don't want that happening to my blog viewers when it comes to good comedy. I want you guys to be streets ahead, and if you don't get that joke... You're streets behind.

9) Shirley Shepherd's husband files for divorce- I feel kind of bad for Shirley because it's going to suck to be on the view for her the next few months. Jenny McCarthy just got engaged, she's getting divorced. They are also expecting with a surrogate mother very soon, and he wants full custody of their child and he wants her to pay him money. Her ex husband also got a similar deal in their divorce, she has to pay him. It's going to be rough for her... But at the same time, she's famous. It doesn't seem like celebrity marriages ever work... So yeah.

10) The Mentalist Renewed for another season- I don't watch this show, but I was wondering. I thought it would get cancelled, I'm guessing this is their last season, I know a lot of people like it, but after killing the main villain, it was questionable.

CBS also cancelled The Crazy Ones... I liked the show but it was a little boring. Sad because that was different than their other shows.

So basically comedy is dead... and celebrity marriages are a sham... Have a good week!

Important Days 
The first week of a lot of months have some important holidays! Made up and real.

Sunday 
Sunday was Star Wars Day. May the Fourth (still) be with you. To Arrested Development fans it is also Cuatro de Cinco... so I hope no one fell down a stair car. It's also Audrey Hepburn's Birthday, which google celebrated with a beautiful google doodle... so thats a good thing to.

Monday 
i Feliz Cinco De Mayo! Por Favor mantengase alejado de las puertas! That means "Happy Cinco De Mayo! Please Stand Clear of the Doors!" Because I'm not very good at Spanish, but I love the Monorails at DisneyWorld!

Tuesday 
Tuesday marked the ten year anniversary of the Friends Series finale. Whenever I see this on tv still, it feels like it was yesterday. Jennifer Aniston also looks soo so beautiful in that finale and she still is incredibly beautiful today.

Tuesday was also Sigmund Freud's penis... I mean birthday! Lol. Psych humor I stole from @ midnight. It is also Teacher Appreciation Day!

Wednesday 
Wednesday is School Nurse's Day during Nurse's week. I think they try to get all primarily female jobs thanked during this week... just something I noticed.

Thursday 
Thursday is apparently No Sock day... Tomorrow's holiday goes with this. It is also National Viking Day, so I would like to celebrate with my favorite fictional vampire viking, Eric Northman! Sigh, he's soooo hot!

Friday 
Lost Sock Memorial Day- this is funny.

Saturday 
This one is my favorite probably. It's Clean Up Your Room Day, which makes sense because Sunday is Mother's day!

QUOTE OF INSPIRATION
"It's alrightletting yourself go as long as you let yourself back"- Mick Jagger

Happy Mother's Day!!!!

Byeeee!
-Shannon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f