Skip to main content

Trying Caligraphy- The Crayola Way!

Okay... so this is something a little new for me! You guys might have seen a recent post I did that was 3 super easy no effort diys... and this is sort of like that... but this is more about the process of the Crayolagraphy or Caligraphy that I've been doing and a couple very high effort DIY's that I did for it... so without any further ado- let's just talk about it!

Why Did I Want To Start Caligraphy? 

I like to Bullet Journal. I haven't done this in a long time... but I always see people doing fancy banners and lettering for their bullet journals and I wanted to start to do that! So when I saw that Target had an expanded art section and they had some caligraphy sets... I wanted to try one!

Why Did I Get The Crayola Set? 

There were a few sets that I had heard about... but the Crayola one seemed the most beginner friendly. It comes with tags and things that you can fill out and kind of a guide to do calligraphy. I didn't actually know much about calligraphy without this set...so I was glad it came with other things.

Did I Buy Anything Else? 

Yes! I have! I noticed Crayola had a notebook for beginners and It looked like it was different from what they had in the set. I also got a sketchbook because I thought that would make things a little easier if I wanted to make something bigger- of if I wanted to do a quote or something... and I got glitter paper... which isn't necessarily part of the calligraphy- but I did want to get into card making and I thought that I would make something with some glitter. So yeah! I got that.

Note: I don't think this is really a review of the set or any of the products... Maybe I'll do that the more I use it... but I want to talk about my Crafts! 

THE CRAFTS! 

Okay... so the first thing that I wanted to make was a birthday card for my mom- which was coming up soon! I kind of worked with what the set was saying... which seemed to be very basic principals. Upstrokes had thinner lines and downstrokes were thicker... so that was easy enough to do. I took my time and wrote the words Happy Birthday a few times and when I was happiest with it I decided it was good to do. I don't have any sort of di cutting tools... so I had to cut it in some sort of shape. I did like a "comic burst" shape because I thought that looked kind of cool and it would end up being a little 80s or 90s looking. I decided to change them into clouds later on because that went better with the theme of the card. I decided to make flowers and a sky and then I just rounded the pointy edges and it looked like a cloud. Unfortunately- I had colored in the clouds already and some of the blue colors blended in with the sky of the picture... so I ended up going over the edge with another color and I liked how that looked.

I also outlined each of the letters with a different color. I did one thing blue with a pink outline and the other pink with a blue outline. Mommy I tried to make black with some gold in the middle... and that kind of got messed up... but it didn't seem noticeable enough for me to totally change.

I also ended up making some white clouds from the glitter paper... I just cut out cloud shapes. I cut out a little sun with the gold paper and for the flowers I did Pink and Blue and White on the glitter paper. Again... I just cut out the shapes and then I pasted them on the card.

For the backround I just used a blue crayon... I did it so it would look more streaky and sketcky... and I used green for the leaves on the flowers and I added some rays to my gold sun. My mom was pretty impressed by the glitter.

Overall... I know this isn't the best card in the world, but I thought for my first time it wasn't bad! I'll get better if I keep it up... and I liked it and my mom liked it!
I also added a little grass and outlined the clouds! 

And My Next Craft I think went a little better and I was a little less nervous and I did things a little bit more creatively and that was a list of Pixar's Rules for Storytelling! Pixar has 22 rules for storytelling and I always like writing these down. I am a writer- so I like to reference these and have them to look at... and it's always so much more fun if you have some pixar drawings on them... so here's what it looks like and I'll kind of explain everything! 

I just looked up the Pixar logo and font and that was actually pretty easy to do! I did the luxo lamp and everything to. I always love including the word "Incredible" so that I can use the I Logo from The Incredibles. When I wrote Storytelling on my first page- that was my little nod to inside out because I used Yellow, Blue, Green, Purple and Red- which are the colors of the emotions. I wasn't going to try to draw the inside out characters. Also on the first page I have the "Rules" blue and purple and kind of fluffy looking for sully and the o in the for is Mike Wizowski! Monster's Inc is my favorite movie so I needed to include that. The Up House is also really iconic and having that on this page just makes me so happy... I drew different colored circles on the baloons and I used a light pen to connect them together... its so cute. I have a tire because I messed up making Woody's hat... so I turned it into a Lightyear tire from Cars lol. 

I tried drawing a car on the corner too... and it didn't work so I put some washi tape on it and I eventually want to cover it up with a sticker or something. 

The second page I drew the Luxo ball... not the best Luxo Ball I've drawn... but it's okay. I drew a guitar like the one in Coco... which I think came out kind of cool. I really like how the Alien from Pizza Planet turned out... I'm pretty proud of that... and I drew a little nemo because I realized I had no Nemo references on here! 

And I didn't do caligraphy for the rules because... there are lots of rules! I couldn't fit that on there! I tried to bold some words with different colors... it didn't really work out that great... but I thought it was fun to do! I'll maybe add more later if I feel like it. 

So that is everything! I hope you guys like this post! If you want more updates- I can update you guys and show you other cards! 

Byeee! 
-Shannon 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f