Skip to main content

The David Bowie Exhibit Experience

So a couple of weeks ago I went to the David Bowie Exhibit at the Brooklyn Museum... I don't think it's going to be there much longer- so I thought I'd kind of review it and explain my experience with it and... yeah!

I've been a big David Bowie fan since high school. Around when The Best of Bowie came out. I just really liked his music, a lot of the songs I knew already but didn't realize he's the one that sang them...so yeah! That was good. I ended up getting more and more into his music in college, I was really sad when he passed away... I think he's been a great influence on music and fashion and I'm a big fan and this exhibit is really a museum of him everything about his life and influences.

So my sister and I wanted to go and we didn't realize just how much stuff there would be in the museum. We thought there would be some costumes and some pictures and things... but David Bowie was very involved in every aspect of everything he put out there... so all the songs, the lyrics, the album covers, the costumes, the characters... he did all of that and they included it all in the museum... and that was all really cool. It took a long time to go through and read and see everything. We started at 12:15 and I think it was almost 5pm by the time we finished it all. So it was a lot.

They have a really cool audio experience to go along with everything. They give you headphones and it plays music and clips to go along with different rooms in the exhibit. It made it a little hard for me to concentrate on reading at first, but once I sort of got use to it it was really cool. So you would go to one area and they'd play several different versions of A Space Oddity and you could see a screen with the videos and you could hear it in your headphones. And they had another room where it showed this computer program that Bowie created (I think) and used to help him write his lyrics and you would see a video of him explaining it and you could hear it in your headphones. Very cool.

And he pretty much handwrote everything- so you could see his handwriting throughout the years and you could see it change. Especially when they showed the lyrics from his final album when he was dying. It was really interesting to see and as someone who really values handwritten things and writes things on pen and paper first usually... I just thought that was a special touch!

The rooms were also divided up pretty cool. There was one room that was black and white and that focused on his time in Berlin when he lived with Iggy Pop and kicked his drug addiction. It showed his love of the German Expressionist movement and it was just really cool. A little hard to read everything- but that really gave more insight into how he thought and what his inspirations were.

They also showed a room based on his performances and all of his acting roles. It was cool to read about him in The Elephant Man and see his movie performances on a screen. He was a really great actor as well as a singer and writer.

So overall... I have even more respect for him and all of my favorite songs I love even more now because of this exhibit. It was really really cool.

Hope you guys like this! Let me know if you went and what your favorite part was! I think it's ending at The Brooklyn Museum soon- but I think that the exhibit travels... so you might be able to see it at another museum... I think it came from a museum in London or something.

Bye!
-Shannon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogmas Day 12: The 12 Days of Christmas Gift Guide

So I thought it would be fun to do a gift guide that every gift corresponds with the price. So like for the first day of Christmas $1 gift that would be good and then up from there. These would be good stocking stutterers and things I just think are unique. $1- Solar Powered Dancers!  My mom loves getting the little dancing solar powered people. We get most of ours from Dollar tree... other dollar stores have them too, they're super cute and fun for $1. Its good to put near any plants that you have that way you know they're getting sunlight. It's a good gift. $2- Mini Coloring Book!  At 5 Below they had some mini travel sized coloring books for $2. I thought these were pretty cool. I got the Botanical one I believe. Really cute and fun! I would recommend! $3-   Ceramic Truck w/ Christmas Tree  I saw this at the Target Dollar Spot and I thought it was cute and would probably make a great gift. If you know someone who has a truck or likes the sort of "rustic C...

It List: May 2017

Can't believe it's the last day of May... this was a great time for TV... so let's get right into it! 1) Master of None- The second season of this show was really really great! I liked the first season... but this season was just wayyy better to me for some reason... I loved that they had episodes about Italy and about New York... I think they did a really great job and I was so impressed with it... I'll have to watch the first season over again and do a Throwback Thursday on that sometime soon... but until then... season 2 was great! 2) Girl Boss- I finally got around to watching Girl Boss this month too... and I loved that show! At first I wasn't sure if I was going to like it or not... then I just couldn't stop watching it and I finished it in 2 days... which I guess is when I finished all the Netflix shows I'm talking about... but still. Girlboss was definitely really good... and I feel like I could watch this one over and over again too. 3) Unbrea...

Catching Fire Review! (some mild plot spoilers from The Hunger Games and Catching Fire)

Hello lovely people! I just saw Catching Fire and I liked it so much I figured I'd do a review on it! So if you haven't seen/read the hunger games it is a dystopian novel that focuses on games that people in Panem (which used to be the united states) compete in. The games take children from 12-18 I think, I may be wrong it may be older than 12 and they fight to the death in these Hunger Games that they are automatically entered in and have their names chosen at random. A boy and a girl from each of the 12 districts competes and if they sign their names more times, they will get more food to feed their families. The movies never actually mentioned that, but it's interesting and important. So the heroine of the story is Katniss Everdeen, played by Jennifer Lawrence. She volunteers in the games for her sister. And I don't want to really give away the end of the first one, but Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson are both in the second one... so it's a little obvio...