Skip to main content

The David Bowie Exhibit Experience

So a couple of weeks ago I went to the David Bowie Exhibit at the Brooklyn Museum... I don't think it's going to be there much longer- so I thought I'd kind of review it and explain my experience with it and... yeah!

I've been a big David Bowie fan since high school. Around when The Best of Bowie came out. I just really liked his music, a lot of the songs I knew already but didn't realize he's the one that sang them...so yeah! That was good. I ended up getting more and more into his music in college, I was really sad when he passed away... I think he's been a great influence on music and fashion and I'm a big fan and this exhibit is really a museum of him everything about his life and influences.

So my sister and I wanted to go and we didn't realize just how much stuff there would be in the museum. We thought there would be some costumes and some pictures and things... but David Bowie was very involved in every aspect of everything he put out there... so all the songs, the lyrics, the album covers, the costumes, the characters... he did all of that and they included it all in the museum... and that was all really cool. It took a long time to go through and read and see everything. We started at 12:15 and I think it was almost 5pm by the time we finished it all. So it was a lot.

They have a really cool audio experience to go along with everything. They give you headphones and it plays music and clips to go along with different rooms in the exhibit. It made it a little hard for me to concentrate on reading at first, but once I sort of got use to it it was really cool. So you would go to one area and they'd play several different versions of A Space Oddity and you could see a screen with the videos and you could hear it in your headphones. And they had another room where it showed this computer program that Bowie created (I think) and used to help him write his lyrics and you would see a video of him explaining it and you could hear it in your headphones. Very cool.

And he pretty much handwrote everything- so you could see his handwriting throughout the years and you could see it change. Especially when they showed the lyrics from his final album when he was dying. It was really interesting to see and as someone who really values handwritten things and writes things on pen and paper first usually... I just thought that was a special touch!

The rooms were also divided up pretty cool. There was one room that was black and white and that focused on his time in Berlin when he lived with Iggy Pop and kicked his drug addiction. It showed his love of the German Expressionist movement and it was just really cool. A little hard to read everything- but that really gave more insight into how he thought and what his inspirations were.

They also showed a room based on his performances and all of his acting roles. It was cool to read about him in The Elephant Man and see his movie performances on a screen. He was a really great actor as well as a singer and writer.

So overall... I have even more respect for him and all of my favorite songs I love even more now because of this exhibit. It was really really cool.

Hope you guys like this! Let me know if you went and what your favorite part was! I think it's ending at The Brooklyn Museum soon- but I think that the exhibit travels... so you might be able to see it at another museum... I think it came from a museum in London or something.

Bye!
-Shannon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f