Skip to main content

Throwback Thursday: Did it 90s? Were Dunkaroos as good as we remember?

So I thought I'd do some posts on the 90s because... I liked the 90s, I'm a fan of it... but I'm not that into Nostalgia. I used  to be really into Nostalgia... which is both ironically true and a Demetri Martin joke. I was super into the 90s Nostalgia before it was cool and now its just kind of "eh." The Spice Girls are still okay... but would I trade Lady Gaga for Spice Girls? Hell no. And today we have Lady Gaga... so yeah. I'm going to kind of take apart some of my childhood favorites just because the 90s weren't as cool as everyone thinks they were. Cool!

Anyway Dunkaroos were not exclusively a 90s snack. I believe they started off in the 80s and they still sold them in grocery stores up until a few years ago. My mom used to get them for kids in the neighborhood around Halloween... and I'd eat the leftovers because Dunkaroos.

I think why people remember them from the 90s is because they changed mascots in the 90s... and I actually remember that ad campaign too... they had 3 different Kangaroos and you could pick out your favorite and I guess someone won a contest... which I'm guessing was a trip to Space Camp... which also did 90s lol. Idk if Space Camp is still a thing anymore because there aren't as many contests!

Here is the original mascot Sydney, with his clothes swapped for Rocco from Rocco's Modern Life. That 90'sed. 


this is the new mascot. I swear there was a contest after Sydney "retired." I have no idea where those other 2 kangaroo mascots are today... I think maybe one succeeded and has a thriving business in Australia and this second Mascot is living as his roommate in an "odd couple" scenario... and then the other one didn't fair too well and will dunk your cookies for $20 if you see him. 

Anyway... these cookies were pretty damn delicious... I ate them probably more recently than anyone else has... the thing is though... I THINK we can live without them. These were around for several years after people complained about missing them so much... so I feel like people didn't really miss them... they just kind of missed being a kid. They probably didn't even look for them in the grocery store anymore because grownups don't really eat cookies that you have to dunk. 

Other cookies have kind of replicated the vanilla ones... which were delicious because they were basically funfetti cookies... but the chocolate ones were pretty underrated. The Fudge frosting wasn't really like anything else I've tasted recently... and really I'd say they were just as good as the vanilla ones. There are nutella dipper things now... there are a lot of options as far as Lunchable Snacks are concerned that kind of do this same type of thing... but idk. There's no kangaroo on them and that kind of sucks. 

I don't know if anyone else folded over the dunky part and put it vertically after... but it looked like a toilet... and it was kind of funny if you had the chocolate dippers and made it look like a toilet. I feel like this is one of those things like the tiny table that comes in pizza boxes. 

It's also cool that these have Box Tops for education on them... I always get excited when I see them because I'm like "Yay! My snacking is going to a good cause! Now my mom can give these to her friend that's a teacher!" 

So yeah... I guess this will be my Throwback Thursday for the week... I will miss Dunkaroos fondly... but I've moved on... and the 90's weren't all that cool... sorry not sorry. 

-Shannon 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f