Skip to main content

Woman Crush Wednesday: Ellie Kemper

Ellie Kemper is one of the awesomest of the awesome ladies... so duhhh I have a woman crush on her!

1) She plays some pretty "shannon-y" characters- All of her characters are very relatable to me and she plays them to perfection pretty much. Independent and smart but also with "phoebe-ish" type qualities. I mean Phoebe from friends if that makes sense lol. Kimmy Schmidt doesn't understand the present because its the future for her. Erin was fun and smart but a little on the silly and awkward side... thats so much like me it isn't even funny. Even in Bridesmaids she was obsessed with Pixar. She's so good.

2) She is fantastic on talk shows- I feel like Ellie is really well spoken on talk shows and in public settings and that makes me like her even more. She was on Ellen and they talked about a lot of things from her engagement story to her being in a haunted hotel and she just always seems like she has something super interesting to say and a lot of great stories. She even hosted Ellen one day... which I did not see, but I'm sure she did an awesome job because she's really funny and just interesting.

3) Her engagement story is quite BAMF- She has a pretty cool engagement story. Basically she told her boyfriend I want to get engaged and she said "well I want to get engaged in New York because we met in new york... but I don't know when we'll both be there so you can propose next tuesday" or something cute and awesome like that. She told him to ask her dad's permission too! Lol. I think I'd like to propose my proposal because thats pretty damn cool lol. And I said her boyfriend, but she is married to him now so its her husband. Lol. Future husband: Take note. I will probably make you read all of this... or not some of it is embarrassing lol.

4) She also did a really cool article about women being funny- She did a Ted Talk type of thing... idk if it was an actual Ted Talk... it was pretty short, and it was for Ted but I think it was something other than a ted talk... idk, it was about women being funny and if you look Ellie Kemper up on youtube, you'll probably find it. In it she talked about the "are women funny" question being kind of boring. Yes some women are funny, no not all women are funny, yes its okay for women to be funny and raunchy and awesome.

Anyway in it she also mentioned an article she did for GQ that was a response to the essay "Why Women Can't Be Funny' or something like that and she wrote "why men aren't funny" and it was a really good satire. It wasn't meant to be complete truth or anything, just to be funny and poke fun at society... either way AWESOME! And woman crush worthy.

5) She plays a really important role flawlessly- I think the show Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt has been a really important show for women today to watch. It shows a lot of strong women that have all kinds of struggles and they deal with it in the way they can. Kidnapping, not a funny subject... but this show shows that its okay to laugh at it... maybe thats not what everyone would think of as a good thing... but I think there isn't any struggle that doesn't have its comic take. Someone wrote an article about why this is an important comedy... and if I find it I will share it somewhere... I don't think I read the article because I saw it on my phone, didn't want to click on it and never ended up finding it again... but its probably worded better than how I'm wording this and it might be totally different than what I'm saying... but the point is it shows that females are strong as hell and its funny... at the same time.

Anyway Kimmy deals with kidnapping, growing up and kind of a rip van winkle situation plus her own issues with her mother and stepfather and dealing with being poor and uneducated in New York City... and Ellie plays this very layered character absolutely flawlessly. She is perfect in this role and I really don't know how many actresses could play a character like Kimmy in a show as unique as this and have it be both funny and meaningful the way Ellie Kemper does.

Bonus: A few years ago, when The Office was still on there was a video of a comedy actress training school with Megan Mullaly and Aubrey Plaza and other funny girls were in it... maybe Casey Wilson... idk. Basically the concept was that Megan Mullaly was trying to get these girls a career by giving them a dark, unhappy April Ludgate type sense of humor. And then Ellie Kemper stops by all cheery with muffins and its just super funny and really makes the video. Lol. I don't really remember much about it... but it was really funny!

Byeeeee!
-Shannon




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f