Skip to main content

Shannopedia: Maltese Dogs

So I thought of doing this new type of blog where I just talk about something I am an "expert" in and give you some facts about them. I think some of these posts may be satirical and some will be factual. This one happens to be factual because I would say I have some actual expertise in this topic. I've had 2 Malteses. Spencer, my current dog, and Lucky who passed away a few years ago. If you are thinking of getting a dog, I personally love the breed... but they may not be for everyone so before you buy a maltese, you may want to read this.

First off they are very sweet, smart, playful dogs. They are hypoallergenic because they have hair instead of fur, but they're still really soft and fluffy. They're cute. Who doesn't love a maltese! They were very popular among royalty a long time ago because they are such smart dogs.

Did I mention that they were smart? I swear Lucky was smarter than any person I've ever met lol. This can be a good thing or a bad thing because they are evil geniuses. Lucky convinced us to give him a ride in the car every day, like twice a day because he loved them... so he refused to eat his dog food unless we gave him a ride in the car. And then he convinced us to give him treats after he went for his car ride because he was a good boy and ate all of his dog food. Lol. Spencer uses his paws like he has opposable thumbs. If something is high up but within his reach, he will paw at it until he gets it.

And they wake you up in the morning, if they don't sleep in your bed, they will scratch at your door until you wake up. Both Lucky and Spencer do that because they stay in my parents room and when my parents would leave the house or go out of the room or something, they scratch at my door and wake me up. And I am happy to wake up because they're so cute and I would rather play with a puppy than sleep most of the time. Lol.

There are lots of things in dog treats that you shouldn't give to dogs in general... but small dogs should avoid them especially. They can't have chocolate, turkey, onions are incredibly deadly for them because it gets into their bloodstream and can cause cancer, glycerin is an ingredient in a lot of dog food that is bad, and propyline glycol is really bad for dogs as well. Propyline glycol is an ingredient that is in anti freeze. Don't buy anything made in china, but a lot of stuff made here is bad for dogs also. Beneful and another major brand is actually being sued right now because a pet owner says it poisoned their dog. We buy Royal Canin dog food, its made in Canada with good stuff in it and we get Zukes for treats and bones... but unfortunately a lot of places locally don't have Zuke's in store right now... don't think it has anything to do with the brand itself because its made with all real ingredients. All stuff you see and you can pronounce and know what it is.

There used to be a dog food called Scooby Snacks that had both Onion Powder and Garlic Powder in it... those are both deadly to dogs. I don't think they make those anymore, but don't buy them.

Maltese dogs aren't the easiest to train. You can train them to do tricks, but behaviorally they are very territorial. Whenever someone is holding Spencer and someone else goes to pet him, he bites the person petting him to protect the person holding him. They sometimes pee in the house if they hear or smell another dog outside. They're very loving, but can be hard to train and you should know that. Also if you're at a person's house and that person is holding a maltese and she says "no,don't pet him he will bite you" don't say "ohhh I don't mind" and pet him because then this will just encourage bad behavior.

Small dogs can tend to have a longer lifespan than big dogs. A lot of times small dogs can live up to 17 or 18 years. My mom's hair dresser has had a maltese for at least sixteen years I think. This doesn't mean that they can't get sick at all. Lucky got cancer in his anal glands when he was 9 years old and he passed away very quickly after we found out because it does spread faster in smaller animals. Hopefully this doesn't happen, but it could and it is really hard.

My dog now was from a breeder. I'm not against adopting and neither is my family, but getting a dog is a pretty personal thing and just for us we decided to go to a breeder instead of adopting. Someday I think I'll probably adopt as well. We donated a lot of Lucky's things to the ASPCA and we donate to them and they are a charity that I 100% recommend. Whenever I see those commercials on TV for the ASPCA I always like to give Spencer lots of hugs and kisses because I'm happy he never had to go through what those dogs are going through. When we had to put Lucky down, we made sure he was as comfortable as possible, we had him wrapped in a blanket and we brought his toys and put him in a laundry basket because that was his favorite place to sleep. He was cremated with those items also. It pains me to think that there are people with pets that treat them so badly. They don't even do those little types of things to care for them because they don't care for them. I think every dog should be treated royally and that every dog should have that sort of love and comfort. Also random, if you are thinking of donating to an animal charity donate to the ASPCA and not to Peta. Peta is just basically a cult nowadays in my opinion and idk if all of the rumors about them are true, but the speculation is just too much. I don't like their use of women posing nude to try to raise awareness... because really that is just trying to brainwash you into thinking that is right... so yeah. Just my thoughts, but I've been a little more out there about my thoughts recently, so I'm fine with this.

What I was going to say about Spencer is that he comes from a long line of show dogs... and we aren't showing him or anything, but show dogs are kind of divas and you should know they are a lot to handle. Spencer nips a lot of the time because he is showing off his teeth. He eats his poop, which lots of dogs do and its gross, but I kind of think its because he has to be clean and he thinks that he's picking it up by eating it. Lol. I'm not sure. He also doesn't lift his leg up even though he's a boy... so that is a thing. And he humps a lot of his toys... for a long time... even though we had him fixed. Pretty much only bigger toys with big butts. My sister got him a Duck Dynasty toy with Phil on it... before he made his comments against gays... And Spencer always ALWAYS humps that toy specifically. Like "Ohhh yeah, I'll show you what's illogical." Lol. That being said, he's pretty loving to Phil. My mom dropped him behind the couch one day and spencer started crying like his little heart was broken. Sometimes when he wants food he'll try to trade you Phil, because that is his most prized possession.

Also the Duck Dynasty toys are INCREDIBLY well made. And if you can get them, get them! Lol. Maltese males are known for being extremely... randy I guess is a nice way of putting it... lol. So keep that in mind if you have small children... you may need to explain some things.

I think Maltese puppies also have trouble with their adult teeth sometimes. Usually the baby teeth just fall out and the new ones grow right after, before they're even 1 year old. Every once and a while there can be some trouble with the teeth and our vet said that usually if there is any complication, they can check that out when they're getting spayed or neutered.

I should also note, I don't know very much about female maltese puppies or dogs. I know female dogs get their period and go into heat before they are spayed and usually I think they are more expensive because you can breed with them. We went up to Spencer's breeder's house and we met one of his sisters and she was just as lively and rambunctious as Spencer was! If not more so lol. She was very playful with him and with us and she was biting us and Spencer a lot too, in a playful way not a hard way of corse. Spencer was a little bigger than his sister when they were babies.

Ohhh they also get stains around their eyes often. In dog shows and on TV they bleach it out and it doesn't show. There are different remedies that you can use to get them out. Some people say buttermilk or buttermilk powder helps... I've seen specific things made for that purpose. When we stopped feeding Spencer a treat called Bill Jac's (which have propyline glycol in them), we noticed his stains got a little more clear. You could brush it with a very fine comb. Overall, the stains don't hurt the dog, it doesn't mean anything is wrong. Its just something that happens to the breed. Spencer doesn't like us combing his hair or anything like that, so it doesn't really make a difference to us. We also think it may have something to do with the fact that he eats his poop... the vet didn't mention that to us, she just says it happens to the breed, so I have no idea. If you know anything I could do for this, let me know. Also if you know anything that can stop the poop eating that would be nice lol. Lucky never had this particular problem. I guess not every dog has it, but it is something that happens with the breed, and if you were to get a maltese, this is something you should know.

There are some famous maltese puppies also:

This is Lola. Her mommy is a photographer and she rescued this beautiful little angel from a puppy mill. She was a showgirl. She is in heaven now, but her brother, a chihuahua (I think) named Luka runs the page in her memory.

These doggies are Hannah and her friends. Hannah is a maltese and her brother Leo is a maltese mix. There was a recent scandal involving poop in Leo's food bowl. There are some really funny videos
explaining Poop Gate.

There's a book about Marilyn Monroe's maltese. I think she really had one. I don't know what the name of the book is, and my mom didn't like it... but its a thing.

And Leona Hemsly had a maltese named trouble (aptly named) and and she left him all her money when she died! And he passed away a few years later.

Now I'm saying all of these bad things about the maltese, but trust me, Maltese dogs are not bad dogs at all. People always ask "would you recommend the breed" and my family always says yes. They are the smartest, cutest and funniest dogs that there are. I think people think of maltese dogs as spoiled and think of maltese dog people as "the stuck up type that won't stop talking about their pet," and yeah, we are. I talk about Spencer and Lucky a lot. I could tell you a million and one good things about them and that still wouldn't cover everything, that is how great they are. So yeah I talk about my dogs all the time, but thats because they're the best dogs ever and I think that is because the maltese breed is such a good breed. If you have any questions about anything else, you can let me know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f