Skip to main content

Those we lost in 2016 and What They Meant To Me

We lost a lot of people in the year 2016... and it was all incredibly sad... so I just thought I would talk a little bit about them and why these were all so sad. I'm talking all about celebrities here if that wasn't clear... I don't want to make this too personal... so yeah.

When the year starts out with David Bowie dying... you know it's going to suck. And that was really hard for me. I always thought when Harrison Ford died, that would be kind of a big loss for me... but David Bowie was a very significant loss. He is my favorite singer. The song Soul Love is probably my favorite song of all time... it's something that is very real, but also kind of hopeful after experiencing any sort of heartbreak. And up until his death, he was so very talented and amazing. It was really sad.

Alan Rickman then passed not long after and that was also incredibly sad. I'm 25 years old... Harry Potter is kind of everyone's thing at this point... but those movies came out when I was in 4th grade... and Alan Rickman was just so great in them. He was funny and mean and suspicious... but he was also a really good hero at the end... His voice is probably one of the most iconic voices... just so sad... and he was amazing in like every movie. Sweeny Todd, Love Actually... I've never seen Die Hard but he's like the best villain of all time in that too... he's just so good. He's one of those people that if you see him in a movie you can go "Okay... Alan Rickman is in this. It really can't be bad."

Some famous TV Moms passed away this year as well. Florence Henderson and Doris Roberts are both so funny and talented and it is very sad that they are no longer with us. Both very iconic too... if I think "TV Mom" I think those are the two first people I think of. Florence Henderson was always the perfect mom on "The Brady Bunch" and Doris Roberts was maybe not the perfect mom on Everybody Loves Raymond... but she certainly loved Raymond and Robert and I think a lot of the modern tv moms have similar relationships that she had with her daughter in law Deborah... it's just funny. Like if you watch something like "Life In Pieces" you can see how the mother in that show is kind of like Marie on Everybody Loves Raymond. It's very funny.

Alan Thicke just passed recently and somewhat unexpectedly as well. I watched Growing Pains every day when it was on Disney Channel in repeats years ago. I remember one day my parents were painting and I couldn't get into my room because there was plastic over it while it was drying... and I was worried I wouldn't get to watch Growing Pains... I eventually did. But it was just my thing. I loved that show! He also wrote several TV theme songs, including one of my favorites: The Facts of Life! I still love that show and the song always made me so happy. My friend sang it for the Talent Show at school... it was a great song and I loved that show too.

Speaking of Alan Thicke... Gary Marshall! They seem to have nothing to do with each other... but if you listen to Comedy Bang Bang, you can't help but make the connections! The Princess Diaries is one of my favorite movies ever... I could watch it all the time and he directed that movie! He was also in Hocus Pocus playing the Devil that Winnie, Mary and Sarah Trick or Treat at and go in his house... that's one of my favorite movie scenes ever probably. I love when Winnie goes into the kitchen and says "A Torture Chamber!" So funny!

Prince is a musician I've always really admired because he's good... but other people that try imitating him are not good. I don't like any covers of any Prince songs... I don't really like any other singers with high pitched voices... to me there is only one Prince and it's sad that he is no longer with us. I've listened to a lot of songs since his passing... all really interesting!

George Michael I just mentioned as being very underrated... and I think that is really sad. He is such a talented singer, but his personal life at the time was very scandalous and I think that his famous arrest overshadowed a lot of his work... but when you think about it... what a horrible way to be outed. He wasn't publicly out of the closet at the time, but he was arrested for having sex with a man in a public bathroom... and then everyone found out. I guess he was famous enough at the time to be aware that he could be outed that way... but still, that is rough! Anyway... back to his songs... His songs are amazing! How can you not smile when you hear this song! I feel so much more powerful after hearing this song, even if its just on a phone commercial!Such a talented man. Also super handsome and Greek!

And last but not least Carrie Fisher... this one is hard for me because I loved Carrie Fisher since I was a kid. I loved Star Wars because it was an action movie with a girl in it! There still aren't that many of those... and Leia was awesome! She was a princess, but she wasn't just your ordinary princess... she was an awesome badass lady boss. I'm also a huge fan of Debbie Reynolds and Billy Lorde... and I wish the best for them. Billie was always such a fan of her mom in Star Wars, and its just nice to see a daughter that looks up to her mother that much. She was so proud. I also have an ornament of Princess Leia, I dressed up as her for Halloween... I had a picture taken at Disney's MGM Studios... before they changed it to Hollywood Studios where my face was on Princess Leia's picture... she meant a lot to me growing up, and she means a lot to me now.

Be a hero, if just for one day and may the force be with you.

Bye!
-Shannon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f