Skip to main content

Scribbles About TV: The X Files Season 10 Premiere

So I wasn't sure if this was being considered a revival, but on my tv it says "Season 10 episode 1" so I'm going with Season 10.

As you guys may know, I love The X Files. I think the show is awesome. Its really kind of a powerful feminist show if you really watch it. Dana Scully is one of the first really strong female characters I've seen in any tv show and it still holds up. I've seen every episode, but I haven't seen them all recently... I've only seen up to Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man recently... lol. And I didn't love the second movie and the show wasn't as good in its last few seasons as it was in its prime... but honestly the last few seasons were not terrible. Season 7 had some good episodes... Season 8 I kind of liked actually and Season 9 not the worst... and I haven't seen those seasons recently but I feel like they are a little over-hated. I think if you watched a few episodes in those seasons they aren't terrible. 

Also just going to mention again... I wasn't expecting much of this reboot because I don't think I've ever been more disappointed than the amount of disappointment I had seeing the second movie. I started watching the X Files when I was in 6th grade and they had teased that there would be a second movie FOR YEARS and when it was finally released I was a sophomore in High School and I was away in Europe when it started... but when I got back, I went to see it... I was really really excited and I made my friends see it with me... One of my friends had already seen it... and it was bad. It was soooooo bad. There were no aliens, there was a guy that was sort of a psychic... it was just disappointing.

And this premiere got kind of bad reviews, but they also say it does get better... so I was a little more hopeful... but I wasn't expecting too much of this episode... so let me just review it as a whole. 

Actual Review Part 
I was pleasantly surprised! I actually thought it was pretty good. Maybe its just cause Duchovney was scruffy and sexy and just looked really good or because Joel McHale is in it and he's also quite hot... but I really liked it. I just thought it was a pretty solid X Files episode. I liked Svetta, I liked Joel McHale... I thought some things were cheesy but thats where X Files always shines. 

Like Scully's job... she's now a nurse that makes ears for kids with a genetic disorder that leaves them without ears... weird thing but I think the point is that these kids are really aliens. And Joel McHale is like hitting on her like "ohhh really. That's pretty awesome... what are you doing later? Lets take a ride in my fancy car, here have some champagne." (I'm listening to the Hamilton Soundtrack right now and the song is "Say No To This" ... which kind of goes with this theme... lol.)  And Joel McHale's show is on "the net" and the version of google Scully uses is "Spyder Finder"... so these seem a little dated... I read that in EW's review... but it didn't bother me that much because The X Files has ALWAYS been dated. At least with me watching it in like 2004-2005 I think...Lol. 

I liked Mulder and Scully's awkward sexual tension... thats kind of what the show always was. And it was even more filled with tension. Like when they first got in the car with Joel McHale and they were talking about the X Files and they both said "For Better or Worse." And then there was this awkward pause and I was like "Joel McHale is TOTALLY the third wheel in their weird relationship problem right now... and its hilarious." and then when Svetta was telling Scully she knew her and Mulder used to be a couple... its like "well yeah duh! Everyone can figure that out just by sitting with you for a few minutes... its so obvious!" 

Aside from all that... knowing that this episode is a jumping point and not a total stand alone or mythology, its just kind of a jumping point for the mythology... I would say its solid. There weren't any big surprises for me because I've been following this since its been a thing and I've watched the "first look" of it and stuff like that... so nothing too shocking... but it was still really interesting and fun to watch. The 2nd movie was basically absolute torture to watch and this was actually fun to watch and it felt nostalgic and it did the show justice... and I'm happy about that. I think its going to be good. 

I think its better than most people are reviewing it. I think Entertainment Weekly gave it a C or a D...I'm actually going to give it an A. It wasn't really that great... but I think it is going somewhere good and I had a lot of fun watching it... so Unpopular opinion... but I loved it. And I've been kind of tough on tv shows recently. Jessica Jones I'm not sure is worth the hype... but this is hype. I like it. 

Also its on again tonight... and I'm excited! 
Byeee!

PS- The ratings for this were actually huge as well! I think it said 13.5 Million, which is especially rare for today also. The X Files got huge ratings when it was first on... but today shows don't get the type of ratings it got. And thats cool. Of corse, it was after a football game... so that helped... we'll see how it does tonight, but that isn't bad.

-Shannon 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f