Skip to main content

How To-sday: DIY Coloring Book

So this is super easy for a DIY Coloring book. I like the idea of a coloring book, but one time my friend said "Ohhh that reminds me of the doodles you used to do in high school." And I thought hmmm... maybe instead of spending like $14 on a grown up coloring book (cause they're expensive!) I could just doodle like i did in high school and then color it in with crayola colored pencils.

So the doodles I did in high school... I feel like I need to explain... cause its a little intense. Basically what I would do is dray lines... but very intricate lines and squiggles and swirls and it would pretty much take up the whole page. One time I had a project where we had to make a Native American inspired drum... and I was like "I have no craft supplies and I don't feel like making my mom go to the craft store... I can just do this myself." And I just drew lines on a paper because it does look sort of tribal. Its kind of like an infusion of different types of art... I like to think... really its just easy to do and it passes the time. I saw my mom do it once and I thought it was cool, so I started doing it and other people thought it was cool and it was fun so I kept doing it. And my school would always give an agenda where you could write your homework down, or sign it if you needed to use the bathroom. But there was always a full calendar in every month, and thats where I liked to do the doodles. And I thought that was so cool. I'm not too big on planning, I like that these little doodles were my plans for the month. I just thought it was cool and different.

So what I love about the line designs are that you can do it on any type of paper... so if you just have notebook paper, the lines get covered up by the most part. It kind of curls up at the edges... but I kind of like that. When you color it in the texture of the notebook paper gets a little different and it feels and smells different and I think thats cool. Its very nostalgic for me to do it on notebook paper... so I do it on notebook paper.

You could also get a sketch book and do it if you want a little bit of a better paper and a better quality binding for the book. I might do that just because I do also like blank pages and I just love that there are still sketch books in the world. I think thats cool.

Anyway so how do you draw these lines... well just take a pen that doesn't smudge and has a fine tip... it doesn't have to be crazy fine, but just a regular pen will do... idk why I said fine tip. Lol. And just draw lines. Different directions, different shapes. I have some circles with lines and some triangular lines and some squiggles and swirls and zig zags. It takes a while to fill up the page and some of the lines in my design are really really thin and hard to fill in with a colored pencil... but I still like it. I feel like part of the beauty of coloring books is their imperfections. Going outside the lines made it fun as a kid... and you still want to make it nice as a grown up... but yeah.

Plus drawing the lines itself is really really relaxing. It brought me right back to high school and I feel like I have a lot of control with my lines... I just really like it. Its fun for me to draw... probably even more so than it is to color. Its just fun to do. Very relaxing and it just helps you think of things.

And I feel like its pretty expressive with the lines. I feel something different from each line that I draw... which is weird but it kind of does to me. Its more than just "I'm gonna put a circle hear and a triangle there" its constructive cause I have to know what shape will go where and it shows what sort of mood I am in I guess. I feel like circles, squiggles, zig zags and swirls make me the happiest so they are what I tend to do the most. I like the way they look the most too... so it makes sense... and yeah. I just like it.

So if you can draw lines, you have patience (so many people in high school wondered how I had the patience for that... Its not hard when you aren't paying attention in class. Lol.) But yeah. Not bad. Kind of fun to do... honestly... I'd maybe get the grown-up colored pencils instead of using the crayolas. They look a little more finely pointed to me and they come in a more organized box, they have a better color range... I think I'll invest in those soon.

But yeah! Let me know if you do this or what you doodled in high school or anything like that.

Ohhh and here is a picture of my first page in my coloring book... I haven't finished it yet... I'm a little closer to being done with it than I am in this picture. Lol.


Let me know what you think! It makes me happy, I totally get its not for everyone... but you can draw whatever you like however you like and make it your own. 

Byeee! 
-Shannon 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f