Skip to main content

Shannon Watches Older Movies: Scream 1

So I used to do a lot of Mini Movie reviews when I was in college... but I haven't really been watching any older movies since I've been out of college so... yeah.

I also decided I wanted to watch a horror movie tonight and can't choose what I want to watch... I want something kinda funny so I'm between Scream and Tusk... and tonight I think I'm gonna go with Scream... I've never seen this movie and why not watch it now?

Scream 
This movie is brilliant. Its kind of poking fun at itself and scary movies. Its very meta and tells you all the rules of scary movies, explains how they work and everything and breaks them at the same time! Its pretty cool! It was a lot like watching a long episode of Community. It was kind of exactly like Community, they should get Dan Harmon to write the next one.

And its actually really scary and suspenseful too! When I watched it a long time ago I only saw the Drew Barrymore part and I was like "Why doesn't she just put down the phone??? She keeps answering." But I can see it. The killer is kind of charming and someone that she kind of believes will kill her if she doesn't hang up the phone. She doesn't think that he'll kill her anyway and its just kind of... high school. I can see this happening in High School.

Also lots of cool people in this movie and a good representation of female characters. Rose McGowin, recently taking a stand and even getting fired basically for feminism and she could easily get blacklisted for what she said... but she didn't let that stop her! Her character was also smarter than most girls in horror movies... as were all the girls in this movie. Sure no one had a clue who the killer was... but they kind of all did. Sidney was suspicious of Billy all along and Courtney Cox knew that her moms killer wasn't the one that Sidney thought it was.

And yeah, I wish Rose McGowin was in the sequel because I really like her as an actress... but I'm glad Neve Campbell and Courtney Cox are both back! Courtney Cox is flawless. Just amazing.

FUN FACT WITH A SPOILER: So there was a scene in the movie where Sidney was running through the house with the killer chasing her and she goes into a room that is really scary looking. Its very dark, there are creepy dolls everywhere hanging from the ceiling (similar to the way that people were hanging from trees) and theres a surf board signifying that its a teenager's room. Sidney is at Stu's house at the time for the party, so this points to him being the killer and gives us more insight into his character... didn't notice that at all until I read it on IMDB! Weird!!!

Okay I wrote this in the summer and I fully intended to watch Scream 2 and Scream 3 before posting this... but I didn't get to watch them yet! I'm not sure I want to! I liked the first one soo much that I know I'll eventually watch the others... but right now the first one is so new to me I don't want to ruin it yet... lol. The descriptions sounded good but also like they could be a little cheesy... but Scream is so self-aware I don't think it'd be too cheesy. Idk... I'll probably try to watch Scream 2 tonight. I hope its still on Netflix tomorrow... I know Scream is disappearing after tonight... so idk.

I also really have to be in the mood to watch a horror movie. I want to start watching more, but I only watch them late at night because they aren't scary to me during the day... and I get nightmares, so I don't love watching them when I'm watching other scary TV shows like AHS, Scream Queens and even How To Get Away With Murder. Idk. It's just one of those weird things.

So check this movie out when you have the chance to on Netflix. If you've seen them already, try re-watching it. There are a ton of little details you may miss. If the sequels or the tv show ruined it for you... maybe don't lol.

Wes Craven was really brilliant and I thought the characters were all unique and I just overall had a fun time watching this movie. I watched this just before his passing and it really was such a sad passing.

Byeee! Happy Halloween!
-Shannon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f