Skip to main content

Scribbles About TV: Supergirl Review

So one of the shows I was most excited about this fall was Supergirl... and after seeing most of the other shows that debuted and loving them... I have to say this had a lot of competition. But I was still excited and I loved it and I think it's going to get even better.

There was nothing wrong with this show. It was really cute, it was exciting, you could watch this with the whole family and there wouldn't be anything super inappropriate. They didn't make her costume too sexy and they really didn't sexualize Kara at all, which I think is super important and powerful. If I were to compare her to any other character from TV, I would say someone from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D or Dana Scully or someone. She's a very strong female character and she's not the only one on the show. There are plenty of really awesome ladies on the show.

The characters were all really good too. Her sister was interesting, her friends from work, the photographer character I thought was really good. They're all really hot too which helps, but again not too sexualized. And their chemistry was amazing too. Like I can't tell if she had more chemistry with her co-worker that asks her out at the beginning or the Photographer... there was a ton of chemistry going on with the best looking people in the world and it was like "damn." It was just really good.

I didn't find the pilot incredibly exciting. It was cheesy, it did have its exciting moments... but comparing it to the pilot of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D or Arrow... it wasn't nearly as exciting and thats okay. I think because this is for network tv its going to be a little more cheesy and it'll have the CBS vibe that a lot of shows have. Its not bad, I'm sure it'll get better than any of those shows... but the pilot was a ton of exposition that I didn't find the most exciting. It was good exposition, I love that she just jumped in to save her sister and then she realized thats what she should have been doing all along. I love the girl power stuff... which it was HEAVY with. It would be fun to do a drinking game of how many times they make a sexist comment and then get shut down or something like that... cause there were a lot.

EDIT: By CBS Vibe I meant they have a ton of procedural shows with fun characters and they aren't too serious like other procedurals and Supergirl is a lot lighter than shows like Arrow or Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. It may seem cheesy that way... to me it just seems like a good decision to make this fun and really make it different than other superhero shows. Just wanted to make that clear cause I'd love to work for CBS. Lol.

That is really the only thing I didn't totally love about it was that you can see its getting there... but its not there yet. And Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D had a little bit of an advantage anyway because they kind of got their exposition in The Avengers and in some of the Marvel movies. This just has some of the other DC shows, which I'm sure will somehow do a crossover on this even though it isn't on the same network.

And I'm kind of happy this isn't on the CW because then it would be a little sexier and a little more geared towards teenagers, whereas this you can enjoy at any age really. Its just a fun show to watch.

So yeah, fun show, fun characters. Really has a lot of potential and just a fun show to watch. Don't take it super seriously because its just kind of a fun superhero show.

It was also on a really weird time. 8:30? For a one hour show? I would have tuned in but I forgot it was on at 8:30 and I don't watch Big Bang Theory, I actually was watching Dancing with The Stars, which I don't like... but it was Halloween night so that was fun.

Anyway yeah. Definitely a good one to watch! Still have to say my favorite show has been Scream Queens.

Shannon's Ranking of the new shows that she's seen so far 
1) Scream Queens 
2) Supergirl 
3) Crazy Ex Girlfriend 
4) The Muppets 
5) Grandfathered 
6) The Grinder 
7) Limitless 
8) Blindspot
9) Dr. Ken 
10) Life in Pieces 

The only 2 shows I didn't like and wouldn't really want to watch again are Dr. Ken and Life In Pieces. Limitless I kind of want to catch up on and same with Blindspot. I loved the characters in Limitless and thought it was fun, but didn't love the over-explanations. I didn't love the acting in Blindspot so I haven't seen it since the Pilot, but I did really enjoy it and do want to see more. The Grinder was really good, but again I've only seen the pilot because I thought Ben Savage was such a jerk... lol.

And I keep debating which I like better, this or Crazy Ex Girlfriend because when I watched this, I was kind of like "ohhh I wish I had watched Crazy Ex Girlfriend" but then I thought about it and idk. I feel like that might be a better show to DVR than watch live because there are lots of little details you might miss... so there's that.

Hope you guys like it! Check this show out, let me know what you think!

Byeee!
-Shannon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f