Skip to main content

Scribbles About TV- American Horror Story: Hotel

First Impression: 
Of corse I was looking forward to the Premier of the new season of AHS... especially since Lady Gaga is on this year and I love her... and it just sounded like a good  season in general... so I'm excited.

It's been on for like a half hour so far... no signs of Gaga... not too many characters yet... and tons of questions with little plot so far. There's an hour left so we still have a lot of time... but so far I like it... but it doesn't make much sense. 

Okay we're about an hour in now... Gaga showed up and she's kind of a vampire... still nothing makes sense... but its scary... but there's like no plot or dialogue. There's a definite noticeable difference because of the lack of Jessica Lange. I know there are rumors she may return... but she's missing and there's like a hole in the show where she... and a plot used to be. Ummm... yeah. There's just not as great chemistry between Sarah Paulson and Kathy Bates. Jessica Lange was just good with everyone. I wasn't expecting to miss her as much as I do.

Okay there's like 15 minutes left now... Lady Gaga does have the same charm that Lange has. Now that she's in the episode a little more... it feels a little less like its missing something. Jessica Lange is a very glamorous woman, and even when she's playing the most wicked characters, you still trust her because she's got this grace that just really makes you kind of love the characters she's playing even when they're horrible. We just watched Lady Gaga slit a person's throat and capture these children and put them in some sort of brainwash room type of thing... and I still like her.

Fuller Review: 

Alright... so after watching it... its not the same as the other seasons. All previous seasons we were introduced to the characters pretty much right away. This one... no idea. We don't really know many things about any of these people. No one is good, no one is bad... no one is anything really, they're all kind of just there... and idk how I feel about it. I guess this sense of mystery was in the first season also... which brings me to my next point...

This felt exactly like the first season. I knew it was going to be similar... but this seems like its a little too similar. Towards the end of the episode I liked it a little more... and really the connection to all the seasons is that they are all pretty much the same... lol. But I kind of think we might learn more about the Murder House this season and it'll really connect a lot of them together. We found out that the Harmon family's dog died... which was sad, but I guess expected. I would kind of love if Scream Queens was also connected. I could see the Security Guard on AHS and the Real Estate Agent on Scream Queens.

I'm not sure how I feel about the "vampires" but I'm excited to see the AHS take on it. Vampires are a little cheesy for the show... but it is always fun to see different takes on vampires... so that I like.

I feel like the lack of plot made it a little less fun compared to other seasons as well... idk. Like the other seasons were pretty fun... this one was just me trying to figure out what was going on... which might not be horrible for the season. I think Freak Show answered too many questions too fast... and this I'm sure there's an element of mystery that will remain.

I don't really trust the detective... I think he's up to something. He has a Bloodyface vibe to me. Plus he named his son Holden... which suggests he may be crazy.

The death with the cheating was pretty scary but I thought the scene was well done. Also I'm not totally sure his daughter and his wife are really there with him. There's something up with his family. It seems a little Bruce Willis.

The Hotel California thing was a little obvious at the end...  and Max Greenfield is a good addition to the cast. Really all the additions are good, just the absence of Lange is certainly there too... 3

The one thing I do have to say AHS has gotten better at is the way they pace the show. Freakshow didn't feel too rushed or anything... it seemed like they killed people off a little too quickly... but still a bunch of people died at the end and that was rather exciting. The Edward Mondrake stuff seemed cheesy at that point... but it didn't totally ruin the show. Coven had people dying and coming back and it didn't explain it well enough really and that was a little rushed... but yeah. This one I think will be paced well... hopefully they don't kill too many people all at once.

Ohhh and I liked how Gaga was introduced. She was sort of introduced without much dialogue, and that is for a reason. Ryan Murphy says she has ties to the Silent Film Era... which I had suspected. So that is cool.

I liked the Fish Eye Lenses they used because it felt a lot like you were there in the hotel. That was pretty cool.

There's a reason why all the men in the show look the same and I like that... I just finished reading an interview with Ryan Murphy... which I always love. Entertainment Weekly always has interviews with him... usually at the start and end of every season and they're really interesting. I don't know if they talked to him about Scream Queens yet... I'd love to read that too. Scream Queens is definitely one of my favorite shows right now.

Ryan Murphy also mentioned that it is hard to review the first episode, so that is kind of why I'm always like "I don't know about this one" but then at Halloween they really establish the show and do a good job showing what's to come and that's a really good format I think. Like I said, I'm always going to watch American Horror Story because even the bad seasons are a ton of fun and have some really cool stuff within them. Well made and thought out show that I always really love.

So those are my thoughts.

Byeeee!
-Shannon 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f