Skip to main content

Making a Card: Caligraphy and whatnot.

Hey guys! So my mom really wanted to make a card for my grandmother's for Mother's Day because she didn't trust getting cards from the card store right now. I have other card making posts on this blog... I'll link those right here and here. This is similar to the one that I made for my mom's birthday... but I used actual calligraphy pens this time instead of the crayolagraphy markers and I feel like I now understand calligraphy.

this is the first one I did and you can probably see this has some ink smudges on it... so this one went to my mom. 





So what I noticed was that WAYYY too much ink was coming out of my pen when I was writing the letters and I think that was because I was writing like how I would normally write. In the calligraphy book that I have they show steps to making each letters and that's how you want to make them. You need to do short strokes and not have the pen touch the paper for too long because that's how you get the thinner writing that looks better and the ink won't run everywhere. So that was my main lesson of this. 

I had cardstock that I had bought from AC Moore a long time ago... I think it was around my anniversary because I bought it in my boyfriends favorite color specifically because I wanted to make him a card with it. They sometimes sell these other places too- I used sketch paper with the card I made for my mom's birthday a few years ago... that's very thin- but it is helpful in doing this. I wrote the caligraphy part on sketch paper and then I glued it to the card stock with a glue stick. 

I also used glitter paper and I cut out butterfly wings because I know my grandmothers both like butterflies. It was a little bit hard to cut out good shapes but I did the best that I can. I don't really think it looks that bad... I feel like I've seen hallmark cards that look similar and they're not just cut and pasted onto something. 

I'm probably going to make another one soon because it's my mom's birthday. If I do I'll probably write a post on that also. My mom likes snoopy a lot and I can draw snoopy so I'll probably draw snoopy for her and do some other calligraphy with it. 

Over all this is really fun. I wrote something really nice in my mom's card and I thought I'd leave it to my mom to write something in both of my grandmother's cards... and that's everything! Hope you guys like it- let me know if you're making cards now! 

Bye! 
-Shannon 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogmas Day 12: The 12 Days of Christmas Gift Guide

So I thought it would be fun to do a gift guide that every gift corresponds with the price. So like for the first day of Christmas $1 gift that would be good and then up from there. These would be good stocking stutterers and things I just think are unique. $1- Solar Powered Dancers!  My mom loves getting the little dancing solar powered people. We get most of ours from Dollar tree... other dollar stores have them too, they're super cute and fun for $1. Its good to put near any plants that you have that way you know they're getting sunlight. It's a good gift. $2- Mini Coloring Book!  At 5 Below they had some mini travel sized coloring books for $2. I thought these were pretty cool. I got the Botanical one I believe. Really cute and fun! I would recommend! $3-   Ceramic Truck w/ Christmas Tree  I saw this at the Target Dollar Spot and I thought it was cute and would probably make a great gift. If you know someone who has a truck or likes the sort of "rustic C...

It List: May 2017

Can't believe it's the last day of May... this was a great time for TV... so let's get right into it! 1) Master of None- The second season of this show was really really great! I liked the first season... but this season was just wayyy better to me for some reason... I loved that they had episodes about Italy and about New York... I think they did a really great job and I was so impressed with it... I'll have to watch the first season over again and do a Throwback Thursday on that sometime soon... but until then... season 2 was great! 2) Girl Boss- I finally got around to watching Girl Boss this month too... and I loved that show! At first I wasn't sure if I was going to like it or not... then I just couldn't stop watching it and I finished it in 2 days... which I guess is when I finished all the Netflix shows I'm talking about... but still. Girlboss was definitely really good... and I feel like I could watch this one over and over again too. 3) Unbrea...

Catching Fire Review! (some mild plot spoilers from The Hunger Games and Catching Fire)

Hello lovely people! I just saw Catching Fire and I liked it so much I figured I'd do a review on it! So if you haven't seen/read the hunger games it is a dystopian novel that focuses on games that people in Panem (which used to be the united states) compete in. The games take children from 12-18 I think, I may be wrong it may be older than 12 and they fight to the death in these Hunger Games that they are automatically entered in and have their names chosen at random. A boy and a girl from each of the 12 districts competes and if they sign their names more times, they will get more food to feed their families. The movies never actually mentioned that, but it's interesting and important. So the heroine of the story is Katniss Everdeen, played by Jennifer Lawrence. She volunteers in the games for her sister. And I don't want to really give away the end of the first one, but Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson are both in the second one... so it's a little obvio...