Skip to main content

Friends Friday: Other Shows That Are Like Friends

So I think Friends kind of became my favorite show because I like the characters a lot and there are 10 seasons so there are just so many episodes. There are a few shows that are like it a lot and... some of them aren't as good. We'll talk about that too but it's just nice to have a group of friends on a show and... I just kind of like the group dynamic that comes from friends. 

How I Met Your Mother 
So this is a show I no longer like... the finale just kind of ruined it for me... and I don't know. All of the unrealistic crap that happened throughout the show seems forgivable if Ted ends up with the mother, Barney ends up with Robin and of corse Marshal and Lilly stay together. I always actually pictured them all together on the front porch because Lilly mentioned "The Front Porch Test" while thinking of who Ted would end up with and she'd picture them all on the front porch together and see if they were happy. It's so sad that the mother died so they couldn't make the front porch test... what a horrible ending. If you watch this show just skip the last episode or just don't watch the last episode. It totally ruins it. 

Other than that though I can't deny I did like it. The cast was really funny and their group dynamic was fun and the characters had the same fun characteristics of The Friends but it just sort of sucked at the end. 

The Big Bang Theory 
This is another show I don't really like but... I feel like a lot of people do and it is pretty funny at times. Plus this actually had a really good ending. Same group dynamic- plus this might be on even more than Friends. It's good. 

New Girl 
New Girl is the whole reason I'm posting this. As you guys might know- I've been watching this lately- actually I've finished the season by now but... this is a really good show! I'd definitely say check it out! It's super funny and all of the characters are just SO WEIRD and funny. I think Winston is my favorite... This is probably my #1 pick from this list. It's not my favorite show that's going to be on this list... but it's the best that is the most similar to Friends and it's pretty easy to watch too. It's usually on in syndication plus it's on Netflix. 

The League 
Okay so I didn't watch this show in it's entirety... I think I missed the last season. And I'm fairly certain this one is going to be harder to find. I think it might be on hulu... it might be streaming on FX right now but I'm really not sure where to find this other than I've seen dvds of it. There aren't as many episodes of this show but it's a really silly show that's about a group of friends that are in a Fantasy Football League. And you don't have to watch football to enjoy the show. This is definitely more inappropriate than friends... but it's still just such a funny show that does center around a group of friends... so it's worth checking out if you're a Friends fan I think. 

Yes- the complete series is available to order on Best Buy for $30... so that's interesting. 

Will and Grace- Original Series 

The Will and Grace reboot isn't terrible but the original show is just SO FUNNY! Chances are good you've seen Will and Grace if you've seen Friends. This used to be on right after Friends. They had this on in syndication on WE a few years ago I think... and like every saturday was a Will and Grace marathon... and I used to watch it with my mom and my grandma and we would just crack up laughing over all the episodes. I think this one is on Hulu. I know you can get the reboot on dvd but I don't think you can get the original series on dvd- they did release it on DVD but I can't find it anywhere now for a lower price. But yeah- this is just really funny and.... the characters are just the best. 

Happy Endings 
I don't think I saw this whole series either... actually I know I didn't. I didn't see the first or last season... but it centers around a group of friends that kind of have a lot of history together. So there's a married couple. The woman from the married couple has a sister that's in the group as well as her ex fiance that I think she left at the alter. Along with another one of her friends and a guy that she dated that is actually gay. So... there's such a dynamic on this show that everyone has a really deep connection and it's really funny. I'm pretty sure this is on Hulu- there aren't many episodes. There also is a boxed set of this series that I saw at Best Buy recently and I think I might buy it... it's $20 at Best buy right now... damn only available for order pickup and it's not available at my best buy. So... idk I might have to search for this a bit. 

Sex and The City 
HBO is almost launching their streaming service- which I believe is included if you're an HBO subscriber... so this definitely has a great friend group and I would say this has an even better look at New York than Friends Does. 

Seinfeld 
So I only watch this show from time to time... now that I'm on best buy's site I'm contemplating ordering the boxed set... but this is a really funny show. Again around a friend group with 4 friends. And the characters are so weird and so funny. 

Single Parents 
I almost forgot this one! This is the only one that is still on too! It's by the same creators as New Girl so it's a really similar vibe and the only difference about this friend group than any of the others mentioned is that they have kids. And the kids on the show are all really funny too. So this is sort of like the Modern Family type of shows that are more centered around family along with the friend group that we love from friends! 

Honorable Mention: The Office 
So... this one is on the list not so much because of the friend group aspect but because of the bingeability of this show. My favorite shows ever used to be Arrested Development and Parks and Rec but The Office and Friends have so many episodes and Arrested Development and Parks and Rec don't have as many episodes... so if I watch those over and over again they get a little stale and The Office and Friends are just the best to watch over and over and over again. So if that's why you like Friends- this is a good one to watch. 

I'm also a little sad because I feel like New Girl was maybe the last show that centered around a friend group... now it seems like a lot of shows are more about family or about workplace relationships. 

I just love these types of tv shows. They're funny and relaxing for me to watch so I'm on Best Buy's website now looking to see if there's anything worth grabbing. 

Bye! 
-Shannon 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f