Skip to main content

Movie Monday: Crazy Rich Asians

Alright! The Movie of the day- Crazy Rich Asians! I saw this movie when it was in theaters- I haven't seen it since then... well technically I watched this movie twice before I was able to write this cause... I was playing Animal Crossing for a little bit during the first watch... so I needed to watch it a second time for review... Also I didn't read the book yet- but it's the next one on my list of things to read I think because I really love the movie. 

The movie is really well paced first off. It starts out really fast... but in a really good way! You get who the characters are right away... You see Rachel Chu at her job as an Economics Professor- teaching Game Theory by destroying one of her students at Poker. This comes into play at the end of the movie too so it's nice that it sets up the end really quickly in the movie too. Plus right away Rachel and Nick have been dating for a year and they're in love and they're adorable and he asks her to Singapore for his Best Friend's Wedding and to meet his family and everyone. Rachel agrees of corse and then of corse... she finds out he's rich. She doesn't know quite how rich he is until she goes to her friend Piek Lin's house and Piek Lin informs her that he's not just rich- but CRAZY RICH! 

So while the beginning is really fast- the rest of the movie just kind of slows down so that you can really enjoy it... There's a lot that happens in the movie so the middle of the movie doesn't need to be as fast paced as the beginning... I really like that about it. It's just such a nice movie to just sit and watch. It's really fun. 

And the casting of this movie is like perfect. Like I said- I've never read the book- but Akwafina is great, I love Constance Wu... Henry Golding is HOT plus my favorite guy from Superstore- Nico Santos. What a great movie! They're all so fun in this and it just looks like they had a lot of fun with it. I love that this movie really helped launch all of these actors careers to another level. I feel like there should have been more critical recognition from this movie. It was nominated for 2 golden globes but no Oscars... and no golden globe nominations for Akwafina or Henry Golding- who I thought both deserved something. This was just a really good movie. 

One scene that I really liked was at the bachelorette party where Rachel is kind of becoming friends with Amanda- but Amanda is setting her up the whole time because Amanda used to date Nick and wants to try to get back with him. While Amanda kind of first shows her true colors is when Rachel is getting a massage- so it's supposed to be relaxing but it's anything but relaxing for Rachel. She then walks away and almost doesn't see Nick's cousin Astrid arriving to the party. Astrid is someone who makes her presence known. She's very glamorous and elegant and Rachel almost just runs right past her- but Astrid stops her. I feel like this shows that Rachel really doesn't care about Nick's money or who his family is. She's not gold digging- she didn't even know anything about his money or his family before she got to Singapore. Plus it shows that Astrid is really nice and she stops because she sees something's wrong with Rachel. Then they go back to the room- find the fish and writing and they just bury it because Rachel doesn't want to make a scene. It's a nice way to show Astrid and Rachel bonding. 

The wedding scene in this movie is also very beautiful and then it's followed by a really sad scene... and then the end is just... perfect. It's one that kind of almost makes me cry it's so sweet. 

Also fun fact about this movie: It's the second movie I saw with my boyfriend on our third date I think. I feel like I didn't pay attention to a lot of the movie because I just wanted to hold his hand and kiss him... but we were sitting next to other people and we were both too nervous to hold hands lol. It was really cute! 

Bye! 
-Shannon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f