Skip to main content

The Best and Worst Movies of 2018!

So in 2018 I got a boyfriend- which I didn't realize would mean seeing a ton of movies... but we both saw more movies than we've seen in years because that's just what we've been doing on dates... so that's kind of fun. But along with that... we've seen some stinkers. Since I didn't really review these movies while I was seeing them... I will let you know now. I think I have more good than bad... but the bad ones were pretty stinky... so yeah. I have 10 best, 2 in between and 4 worst... and one other movie that I already reviewed.

I'm also only including movies I actually saw in theaters... I saw Isle of Dogs and that was one of my favorites this year too... but when I think of my top picks- I think of the ones I actually went to see.

The Best 

10) Christopher Robin- So this was the movie we saw on our first date... so this is really kind of a sentimental pick for me... and I loved the movie. It was really cute and just a fun one to watch. When we saw Mary Poppins Returns recently though, we were kind of like "oh... this is just like Christopher Robin"... so to a certain point both of us still think the movies are all starting to get to similar... but we did both have a great time on our first date and we really liked the movie too... so it was kind of a win/win.

9) Love, Simon- I actually saw this one with my mom when it first came out. So this was before I had a job or a boyfriend. This was such a cute movie and the end was so sweet. I missed the part where Simon was outed... but honestly this is one of the best teen movies that I've seen now that I'm not a teen... and it's just a good one to watch. It was well done and a fun mystery/romance type of story. I have the book too and I'm excited to read it... and more from the author too because they have a lot of similar books I think.

8)  A Simple Favor-  I feel like this movie just kind of surprised me by how good it was. My boyfriend and I were kind of just looking for something to do and I was like "Ohh this movie looks kind of good and suspenseful" and when we actually saw it it was great. We didn't find it predictable like some of the other movies I'll mention... but it was a great movie and I do in fact own the blu ray now-so that is exciting. I have the book of this too... once I finish the Brittany Louise Taylor book I think I'm going to read that one.

7) Venom- Another pleasant surprise! I really loved this movie. I feel like it didn't get great reviews but I thought it was a really good story... and I just really liked the cast and it was just a fun one!

6) Mary Poppins Returns 
I just saw this one... but I thought I'd count it here anyway because it was really great. I love anything Lin Manuel Miranda does- so obviously I thought he was great in the movie as Jack the Lamplighter, Emily Blunt has a wonderful singing voice as well and I loved her as Mary Poppins. I think my favorite song though might have been Meryl Streep's song... which was really fun. Meryl Streep played Mary Poppin's cousin who has trouble every second Wednesday... which was just funny and relatable. Perfect cast, perfect soundtrack. Great movie overall... but it is #6 on my list cause there were a lot of really great movies.

5) Eighth Grade 

I saw this one with my mom also! It's Bo Burnham's first movie- he is my age and he did a really unique job with this movie... it was funny and relatable... totally made me feel like I was in Eighth Grade again... it was also funny and heart filled and it made me cry a few times during the movie. And the end was really sweet too... When I first saw it I thought of it as one of the best movies I've ever seen... but again- there were 4 other really fantastic movies that came out right after.

4) Crazy Rich Asians 

I feel like I keep mentioning "fun" and "sweet" with all of these movies... but that is again how I will be describing this one. I love Constance Wu on Fresh Off The Boat and she was really good in this movie also. Henry Golding is soooo incredibly hot- I'm hoping his career really takes off from this... he was also fantastic in A Simple Favor- so he's on this list 2 times for good reason. And the love and all the drama in this movie was really great... I'm excited to read the next 2 books and see those movies... (I didn't finish this first book too.) Plus... the soundtrack and the settings of this movie were absolutely fantastic.

3) Ralph Breaks The Internet 

I was excited for this movie... but also a little nervous. Seamus Gordon did a video on this comparing it to Cars 2... and that thought kind of stuck in my head a little because it did seem like it could go that way... but in fact it was the complete opposite. I actually thought it was funnier than the first Wreck it Ralph movie... and I really loved the message of the movie. I thought it was nice for kids and grown ups... which I think is kind of the beauty of Wreck it Ralph to begin with. As you guys may know- I'm slightly obsessed with the funko pops particularly the Comfy Princess Rock Candy figures.

2) A Star Is Born 

This movie was absolutely AMAZING. What an incredible, heartbreaking love story. Lady Gaga was absolutely amazing in this movie- and I'd watch her in any other movie based on this. I think she did a great job as Ally in the movie... her singing voice is incredible and it really felt like she and Bradley Cooper were an actual couple that was going through hard times... but still loved each other and she supported him through it all. It was a love story that felt VERY real and the love just felt so genuine. It was really beautiful.

1) Spider Man: Into The Spider Verse 

My favorite movie of the year... the one I can't stop thinking about, talking about... and I CAN'T WAIT till it's out on blu ray is Spider Man Into The Spider Verse. I actually just looked to see if I could pre-order it from target... and it looks like I can't... but I am so excited to try to spot all the easter eggs in it. It had a really ambitious premise and it was just done so well. The characters were all so fun... and I have to say  even though some of the other Spider Men didn't get as much screen time as Miles Morales or Peter B. Parker... they were all really interesting and well done. They had some really funny moments and it just REALLY felt like a comic book. It made me a little more into Spider Man as a whole too. Also there are 2 amazing soundtracks for this movie... One really hilarious Christmas Album featuring Peter Parker, Peter B. Parker, Miles Morales and the 1960s Spider man... and then the other soundtrack with all the amazing songs in the movie. This is a definite must see... It's probably my favorite Spider Man Movie!

I'm not including The Grinch because it's a Christmas movie and is kind of judged differently in my mind... plus I did actually do a review of that right here.

The In Between 
These movies I couldn't really fit into a best or worst list... They were both good but one I don't really think lives up to the hype... and one was good just not totally my thing.

Searching-

I don't think this movie was that bad... I was happy to see John Cho in a movie- and I think he did a great job of being the hero in this suspenseful horror movie... Debra Messing was really great in it too... I just think it was very hyped up... and it was kind of predictable. I know a lot of people were seeing it over and over again to see the clues they missed... but we missed all of the clues and knew who was the kidnapper as soon as the character was introduced... so while it was interesting... definitely not the best movie of the year by far.

Bumblebee- 

Honestly this was a good movie... but I wanted to do a top 10 list and this was #11. I think this movie made my boyfriend and I feel like kids again... a few days after we saw it we went to Wall Mart and decided to buy some Transformer toys... so it was fun. I thought the point of this movie would be Bumblebee sort of learning to talk and learning to be himself... there were only a few scenes of that... and the supporting characters were a little flat too... but still honestly worth seeing. A fun movie and definitely the best Transformers movie.


The Bad 

4) Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them: The Crimes of Grindlewald- 

This is the worst movie that I know I'm still going to buy on Blu Ray. There were some really amazing scenes in this movie... but they could have made like 3 different movies from the plots of this one. The "surprise" at the end just felt tacked on... And the worst part was probably that one MAJOR plot point was that Tina moved on from Newt because she saw in The Daily Prophet that he was engaged to Leta Lestrange... but The Daily Prophet got it wrong and it was Newt's brother that was engaged to her... which just seems like a lazy way to do an unnecessary conflict in the movie. Definitely the worst Wizarding World movie and very disappointing.


3) Jurassic World- 

I'm going to be honest... I didn't pay that much attention to this movie... but it wasn't like a regular fun Jurassic Park movie. The second half of the movie just felt like it was trying to be a horror movie. It just wasn't great at all.


2) Night School -

This movie wasn't too bad because... we weren't exactly expecting to see a great movie when we got tickets to see Night School... we knew it wouldn't be fantastic- we just wanted something to do. There were some funny moments in this movie... but honestly if it had starred Tiffany Haddish and Kevin Hart was a supporting character- it probably would have been way funnier. I have no idea why Tiffany Haddish isn't the star of any of these movies because she's a definite star... they just need to give her her own movie.

1) Welcome to Marwen- 

This movie was Terrible. Like honestly when we first saw it we were like "okay it wasn't that bad... but it was bad." But the more we kept thinking about it we were like "yeah... that was just bad." It wasn't boring- I was fully entertained the whole movie... but the trailer made it look like it'd be this inspiring story and it would show how the women in this man's life saved him... but no. They barely showed the women in the movie. And I didn't really like the way they portrayed Mark... the story behind it is very inspiring and interesting but I feel like maybe some scenes were cut from the movie? Or the end was just a little rushed and the resolution to it was just kind of meh. The animation was good... but I just can't recommend this one in the slightest. It was a bad movie.

And on that note... I hope for some more good and bad movies for 2019!

Bye!
-Shannon


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f