Skip to main content

Oscars 2017 Recap

We've got a lot to go over tonight... let's start wit the big one...

Mahershala Ali is the first Muslim man or woman to win an acting Oscar! I know this probably isn't what you were thinking of as "The Big Thing" but frankly... this is what people should be talking about! What an amazing achievement. I haven't actually seen any of the movies... but from reviews I've read and clips I've seen... he really makes the movie. A lot of the times an AMAZING supporting actor or actress can make the difference between winning Best Picture or not winning best picture. And Mahershala isn't really known to be an a-lister or anything... he's been in lots of movies- Boggs in The Hunger Games and he was on House of Cards and Luke Cage... it's still not a name I think has been heard before... and now I'm sure his name will be well known and he'll go on to do a lot more stuff! Good job Mahershala! Great accomplishment.

Okay so now the big moment everyone is talking about... Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway announcing the wrong movie for Best Picture... they read La La Land-the award went to Moonlight! The producers and cast of La La Land were all very gracious and supportive to the cast and crew of Moonlight. There was no jealousy, no love lost... I think they were disappointed... I mean anyone would be, I'm sure they were proud of the film... but they did graciously accept their defeat and held no grudge against The Academy or anyone involved in Moonlight. Positive Thoughts- they got to make an acceptance speech too!

Alright so... here's one thing I noticed... they started playing the music RIGHT when a man was thanking his deceased wife. That's rude... I know the Oscars would be very long if they didn't do that and advertisers would get pissed... but that is disrespectful.

Jimmy Kimmel as a host... I thought he was okay... I didn't really like his jokes. He kind of had a few jokes that he just told multiple times throughout the ceremony. When he started his monologue, he mentioned a bunch of times that "Ohhh no one has seen these movies." And that's kind of rude and it isn't true. These movies are all independent movies and the people involved aren't making them for just the money... they are making them for critical acclaim... which does lead to money but it is also the best way to get their voices out there! It was also untrue... I have done my chart chats for several weeks in a row this year. Hidden Figures made A LOT of money! It was number 1 on the charts a couple weeks in a row, plus it's been on the top 10 since its debut. La La Land has been in the top 10 for quite a few weeks as well. Lion is just starting to get in there... and when Hacksaw Ridge came out, that was in the top 10 for several weeks! This was a pretty successful year for these movies!

The candy bit was really funny, and I think that must have been everyone in the audiences favorite moment of the evening... but after the third time it was sort of like "really? This again." The tour bus thing was pretty fun. That must have been so cool to be in that group of tourists! The Donald Trump tweets were pretty funny. He wasn't the funniest host of all time... but I thought he did a pretty good job. I liked how he said everyone was telling him that he has to be the one to unite the country and he said "I can't really do that." It's very honest. If you're expecting a comedian to unite people instead of the president or members of the senate... that's a little wrong. Unless the country was divided on whether or not Kimmel is funny... he really can't be the one to unite us.

They didn't present the movies nominated this year... THANK GOODNESS! That's always been my least favorite part not just because it takes forever and it's really just kind of a way to suck up to the movie... but it is also kind of spoiler-y. I hadn't seen any of the movies nominated... and I didn't want them to get spoiled! What they did instead- I think it was in the place of this at least- was let some famous actors talk about some of their favorite film moments that got them into acting and then they would present an award along with the person that inspired them. This lead to my favorite moment of the night quite possibly- Seth Rogen and Michael J Fox singing The Schuyler Sisters!

Which brings us to the musical numbers... it opened with JT singing the Trolls song- very high energy performance and he even danced with Jessica Biels in the crowd... so cute! Lin Manuel Miranda rapped an intro for Auli'i Cravahalo's performance... which brought me to tears... I loved Moana... such a great movie and I thought she was absolutely brilliant performing it. And John Legend performed the La La Land songs... one of which ended up winning!

Casey Affleck won for Best Actor... I don't really like him... I was hoping Denzel or Ryan Gosling would win... but yeah. Casey Affleck. Viola Davis won for best supporting actress... I didn't pay much attention to the speeches tbh... I did pay attention to Emma Stone's speech and I thought hers was very nice, respectful and it was just good. And as I mentioned Mahershala Ali won for best supporting actor.

3 wins for Disney also... Zootopia won for best animated feature, The Jungle Book for best visual effects (I think?) and Piper for best animated short... I got a little teary eyed when they were accepting that award... my mom did too it was really sweet and I loved that movie. My mom and dad watched it on Sunday Morning on CBS and they tivoed it to show my baby niece sometime because it's so cute and Pixar and Disney do GREAT jobs making their animated shorts so creative and realistic. This was one of the best ones!

Sarah Barielles looked great and did a very touching performance of Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now." And... there was another mess up here... they showed the picture of a producer that is still alive when they showed the name of someone... so that was awkward!

Overall... I liked this awards show... Uhhh the end was certainly exciting... Funny thing- I didn't add the extra time on Tivo because I said "ohhh we'll never watch this again! And nothing will happen at the end!" I don't know if I totally believe the story they're giving... also it took long enough for an apology! They really made Warren Beatty and Emma Stone look bad. And Emma immediately defended herself saying "Hey, I had my envelope with me the whole time!"

I think that's everything I have to say... I thought there would be more... but those are the important things.. Now I'm definitely tivoing every awards special and keeping the extra time because... damn!

Byeee!
-Shannon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f