Skip to main content

Scribbles About TV: Blackish 2016 Election Episode

This is kind of the episode I've been waiting for since after the election. Blackish is one of the best comedies on TV that actually make commentary on social issues. Last year they had an episode about the Black Lives Matter Movement, they've mentioned politics in many episodes before, this year they talked about Atheism and being a new parent vs. being a parent of 4 with a 5th on the way... there's a lot that this show does and it does it well. There are very serious issues brought up in really funny ways. The Black Lives Matter episode had a more serious tone... I think this one did have a more comical tones... but the real life issues of tensions between Trump Supporters and Hillary Supporters was very,very real and they resolved the episode in a way that gives me more hope for the future.

The episode was a pseudo bottle episode too I guess you could say... kind of like the Black Lives Matter episode of last season.

What I would consider the main story is Andre's story. He's working on a pitch with his team and they've been putting it off for weeks because of the elections and different things that Donald Trump has said and done since the Election... I think it was somewhat fictionalized... not quite sure. But they showed different perspectives. Andre's boss was a republican, but he didn't like trump. Andre and most of the other workers were upset because they didn't agree with Trump... but then Lucy... who they needed to hire back because of the big project they were working on (and because she sued them) said that she voted for Trump. I'm guessing her character probably represented what a lot of people say in every election. She didn't really agree with the bad things that Donald Trump said, and she thought that he was probably a bad person... but she didn't think that Hillary was different enough to improve things for her. She voted for Barrack Obama and got her Republican Parents to vote for him... and they weren't better off. She said her dad was still unemployed and there were a lot of bad things that happened to her and she thought that they needed a change.

And that makes sense. I've voted for people I didn't completely agree with just because I didn't necessarily think the other candidate was better.

They fought for a while... but Andre resolved that he loved the country even though he was scared about what happened, he was still proud that he worked hard and got to where he was and he was proud of his family, and his culture. It was a really powerful speech... I don't really want to give away what exactly he said because I think you should watch it.

And Zooey made a powerful speech too saying that she's not giving up hope just because her side lost one election. She still believed in all her values that her mom raised her with and she was just as proud of them as ever. And since she would be able to vote in the next election, she knew she could make a change. And she made the lemonade because it was just that. Lemonade. Not republican lemonade. Not Democratic Lemonade. Just lemonade.

So I think no matter what side you're on... this episode did a very good job representing it. It really did have a reasonable perspective from every side... and a sort of unreasonable side... because there are lots of unreasonable people in the world. No one is a different person than they were before the election. And instead of having a country entirely divided... we should unite. Try to see eye to eye. It's a hard thing to do when you're angry... but its something we need to do. And if you don't like something... do what you can to change it. I will be starting a feminist blog right here next week at Noon EST... because I think that will be one way to change things.

5 stars, 2 thumbs up. Watch this episode with an open mind no matter who you voted for... watch this show anyway because Tracee Ellis Ross is just amazing... and yeah! Hopefully it helps unite the country a little bit better.

Byeee!
-Shannon




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f