Skip to main content

Scribbles About Things To Do: Build a Bear Workshop

I thought I'd do a more extensive scribble about a fun place that maybe people don't know about or haven't been too. I feel like this is becoming less and less of a thing now, but its still something fun to do that I think most people would do. Its still fairly popular too from the 3 times I've been in the past year or so.

And that's an important thing to note about Build a Bear... its not an "all the time" thing. I went there 3 times in the past year or so because I was making Minions... Minions are my total favorite and I needed to build all 3 and my sister ended up building all 3 as well.Well okay I built 2 for her and she built one for someone special last weekend... and she actually included the 2 of hers in her wedding. She and her husband danced with the minions to the minion version of "This I swear" which is adorable. Anyway since I just went this weekend... I figured I'd let you know how it was.


A lot of things that you can add in... are a little gimmicky. For little kids they make it really special and unique and cool, but for parents I can just see going "NO!" and in fact several parents in line do go "NO!"

The bear itself is in the $10-$20 range.  I think the most affordable I found was $12 and the most expensive was $35. The Minions are all $25... so it isn't really cheap. And then there are add ons. You could add clothes, which are around $12-ish. The minions overalls were on clearance for $9 when they were originally $12.50 and I'm sure a lot of the fancier outfits are more than that. I heard one mom complain one time that her son would always take the clothes off of the bears so she didn't let him get any even though he wanted them. Plus there are accessories, you can add smells now... you can get multiple outfits... its a lot for parents...


That being said... its like Disney World. If there are ridiculous prices and charges... it isn't something you do every day... just try to watch the kids be happy. I'm an adult. I didn't need to build a minion... I didn't need to put overalls or noises in it... but it makes me happy. The smells was a bit too much for me, but the little girl in front of me asked the woman "Ohhh what smells are the most popular" and the woman was happy to tell her "Well do you like Cotton Candy?" And it was just very nice. Its cute seeing little kids that aren't shy and workers that just have fun with them.

My sister was building her minion for a special reason and the workers were really nice and excited for her. They were very helpful and my sister and I just had fun making our minions. So even if there are gimmicks... I think that it is a unique and fun experience for kids to do every once and a while.

That being said too... it can get to be more than once and a while too. I had to have all 3 minions with sound and in overalls... so I'm sure little kids are like "well I can't just get Nemo, he needs a friend!" So they build Dory and then their brothers and sisters say "well I want 2 now" and then it can get out of hand quickly or you can be making multiple visits in a short amount of time... it can get to be too much pretty fast I think. But it is really really fun.

So is there a lot of "add ons" to build a bear- yes! There are tons, it can get to be "well I'm just going to buy this $12 toy and thats it" to being $40 really quickly. It kind of made me feel icky when I first saw that they had scents and if you wanted to be "eco friendly" you could get a reusable backpack and then they ask you to give to the build a bear foundation... like they're just asking for A LOT of your money... but really it is the funnest place for kids and they make it as fun as they can for kids. And I'm not saying all the people working there are the most amazing, but I don't think I've had a bad experience with someone at Build a Bear and I'm sure everyone working there has had bad experiences... so its nice sometimes to see people with actual patience that are just happy to help you.

So there's my little experience at Build a Bear recently... it is a bit much... but as I've said, I don't have anything bad to say about it. Its something you have to do once, no matter what your age is.

Byeee!
-Shannon


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f