Skip to main content

Scribbles About TV: The People Vs OJ Simpson Review

So I was super excited when American Crime Story was announced and that it would be OJ Simpson... being a child of the 90s... I grew up knowing this story. I don't think I totally understood death or murder... but OJ Simpson was always "the bad guy" when I was growing up. He's the first real life bad guy that I knew about... and I don't think I totally grasped that he was a real life person or that his wife was a real living person... I just knew he killed her and he was a bad guy and he got away with it.

And as an adult... who really knows if he did it for sure or not. I think he seems pretty suspicious and I don't think there are just coincidences... but I'm open minded. I'm a libra, I can watch this and feel for his character and be sorry for him. Back when this happened I don't think anyone would think OJ was a killer. And I think the show does a great job of being unbiased. I thought it would be slightly leaning towards the "OJ didn't do it" argument... but at least from this first episode... you can see it either way.

Also... this case has had a huge significance in pop culture... and the series isn't totally underplaying that. The Kardashians might not have been famous without this... and Kim, Khloe and Kourtney were just kids at the time. When OJ is hiding out he's in a room with Jonathan Taylor Thomas posters everywhere and its like "That's weird" but no it isn't. Its Kim Kardashian's bedroom! I thought that was cool.

Everyone in this cast is brilliant and I think they're all in the right roles as well. I love Cuba as OJ... he's an amazing actor and I'm quite happy for his return. Selma Blair is another person that I'm happy to see in sort of a comeback type of role. I feel like she hasn't been in many things lately. Same with David Schwimmer too. Great kind of surprise roles for them and I think they do a good job. This is kind of random... but I feel like the actor that plays Kato is going to be someone worth noting. He seems so young, dumb and innocent and I feel for this guy. It seems like OJ is really manipulating him and I feel like OJ could have gotten him to take the blame.

Also I really don't think Robert Kardashian thinks OJ did it. I think he's his friend and is genuinely concerned for OJ and wants to help prove his innocence because he believes him to be innocent. That's what I'm getting at this point and I think Schwimmer and Cuba Gooding Jr are doing a great GREAT job with their scenes together especially.

Its also totally ridiculous and absurd that he's involved in a murder trial and he's telling Kardashian that he's going to commit suicide and everyone is still calling him "Juice." I know that's a football thing like Ocho Cinco to be called by their football name and not their real name... but its odd. And that just reminds me of the recent claims made by the doctor that the movie Concussion is based on that this could be part of a brain injury. And it makes sense, he's done bad things and made questionable choices and decisions even if he isn't guilty.

Also I love Connie Britton! I'm so happy she's in this and it looks like we'll be seeing more of her. Nathan Lane too... this cast is brilliant.

The only real complaint I have about this first episode... is the same I have about most of the American Horror Story premieres... its LONG! Its an hour and 20 minutes and I think there are things they maybe could have cut down or just had in a separate episode. It wasn't boring... but there were parts where I sort of lost interest and went online.

So yeah. Overall I think this is really cool, very well done and I genuinely liked it a lot. I'll definitely watch all of the episodes. I love these crime thingys and its just very interesting and well played. I like it a lot. The weak person in the cast for me I think is John Travolta... John Travolta isn't a bad actor I think his character just annoyed me a little and I think I'll end up liking him more... but if I had to pick one person that was maybe 3 points less... it would be Travolta. And I want a little more from Sarah Paulson. Chris Bauer I like a lot too. He always has small roles... but he can really hold his own. His character on trueblood seems like such a nothing character... but he was one of my favorites.

So that is everything... hope you guys enjoyed this review and let me know if you're watching this and what you think.

Byeee!
-Shannon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f