Skip to main content

Breaking Bad: Character Breakdown SPOILERS

So I just finished watching Breaking Bad and I need to write a paper for class and do other things with my life, so I'm going to do an in depth blog on each of the characters. I have a lot of feelings here, this is probably going to be a super long blog post that only people that only television nerds will like and it will be spoiler heavy! I will spoil everything that there is to spoil most likely, so please read at your own risk.

Badger and Skinny Pete- so I'm going to start this off on a lighter note and talk about Badger and Skinny Pete because... I mean what's not to love about them? They are Jesse's drug dealer buddies and they're the best dumb- lovable druggie sidekicks anyone could ask for. They're funny, loyal and they show up unexpectedly when you really need them in the show. I was so happy when Walt hired them as his "assassins" in the finale. Just too great.

Gale- Gale was a character that I knew they brought in just to kill off. When I first watched it, I totally did not think he deserved to die... and I mean no one really deserves to be murdered but within the show and within the gang when I rewatched the episodes (I was ahead of my dad, but I watched some episodes that he was watching because they were on in my house so I didn't have much of a choice.) I thought that he wasn't the right guy to cook. First off, he didn't know how to cook really, he didn't know Walt's recipe right away and he was kind of weak. I don't think he would have been able to be trusted. He himself even said that Fring should hire Heisenberg over him. He just didn't have what it takes, and unfortunately part of the job is having what it takes, otherwise you will be offed.

It wasn't right that Walter had Jesse kill Gale, and maybe Walter should have just accepted his death, but it makes sense within the context of the show that Gale had to die. If anyone watches The Wire, pretty much ALL of my favorite characters died, but they had to die because they weren't cut out for the game. D'Angelo, Wallace AKA the SADDEST Death of all time... Gale's death is probably up there, but that's part of the game.


Tuco and Hector Salamatca- I really liked these two characters. I thought Tuco was a great and crazy villain that was probably as bad of a villain as they would get... but then Fring came along and TOTALLY disproved that theory. Lol. Tuco was actually supposed to be the villain of the third season as well, but they had to kill him off because he was on The Closer. I think the Tuco episodes were some of my favorites. They were really exciting and still had the funny element that I liked about
Breaking Bad so much... and I just overall really liked him as a villain.

Hector I liked too. I thought that the bell was such a good and creepy element to add to the show. It was both really funny, but also helpful in the storyline and of it ended with a bang... bad pun INTENDED! I thought he was another great villain, the storyline with him killing the other hermano made me feel like Fring was more humanized... and i like that he had a lot of connections as well. It made him a stronger character than just a one-off bad guy that never pops up again. 


Mike- Mike is one of my favorite characters in the show, especially when Walter turns completely evil. What I like about him is that unlike Walt, he does exactly what he has to, no more no less. And he legitimately does what he does for his family, also unlike Walter. He is also the one of the "gang" that genuinely cares about Jesse Pinkman. He actually keeps Jesse's best interests in mind. He's the one that got him to stop using when he had gone back to drugs. Sure it was under Gustavo's orders, but he got him to stop and I think he was glad that Jesse stopped. And notice how Jesse was clean until after he knew Walt had killed Mike? That was for a reason. I mean he genuinely wanted out of the Meth business and wanted Jesse to get out of it also. 

I actually had a dream last night that Mike hadn't really died and he came back and killed Walt and Uncle Jack's gang. And he took all the money for his granddaughter probably. 


Of corse that sadly did not happen. But still I like that version of the finale. 

Marie- My feelings for Marie changed a lot over the vice seasons. I thought that she was crazy and not a good sister to Skyler... But I understand her pathological lying and cleptomania. Her husband has a very dangerous job, she has a stressful job herself and that is how she copes with it. I also feel really bad for her at the end of the show because she is left with nothing. She and Hank probably wanted to have kids and they probably would have been really good parents, and when he died I just really felt awful for her. She was so supportive of his job and when he was in a wheelchair, she made sure that he'd be able to walk again. She also wanted the best for Skyler when she found out about Walt. She was mad at Skyler at first, but she ultimately just loved her because it's her sister and that's what she knew was right. She knew the best thing for Skyler would be to get away from Walt.

Ohhh also I love that she always wore purple. I read on IMDB that all the characters have their own colors that they always wear and it has meaning behind it. Marie and the nurses wear purple, all of
Marie's stuff in her house is purple, and orange which is what Hank and the cops always wear. 

Skyler- speaking of Skylar, she is another one of my favorite characters possibly ever. At first she just seems like a regular trophy wife and nothing really all that special about her...  But I think she is ultimately one of the strongest female characters on television. I know that there's a lot of Skyler hate out there... But I think she's a really great character. She isn't just a dumb trophy wife that lets her husband get away with everything he got away with, but she's smart enough to know how to get things done. She didn't want to get herself in the middle of anything really, but she knew that Walter was stupid enough to get himself caught without her help, which is why she bought the carwash. She even spoke to Saul Goodman herself! That's pretty awesome!

And Another thing is that she always wore Blue to symbolize the "Ordinary World" of it all. She wore blue, Jesse wore a lot of yellow and also red (and grey when he was in recovery) and that represented the "drug world" so Walt wore green to show that he was caught between the two worlds. SYMBOLISM GUYS!

Also I could see why she HATED Walter so much at some points. When she tries to get him arrested and she knows that he's this monster and then he acts like a Saint trying to hold his daughter and stop her from crying. And obviously Walter Jr thinks that it's her fault for kicking out his dad and that his dad has done nothing wrong.

Walter Jr.- Walter Jr really tied the show together as a whole. Like how the rug really tied the room together. Lol but in all seriousness, Walter Jr is why Walter did this and why he regrets everything that he's done. In the finale when he sees Walter Jr. Walking into his house from school I think it all comes together for him. That is why he claims to have started with the Meth business and why he ultimately regrets everything. He could have just spent his final years with his family... and I'll get to that when I get toWalter.

I love that he changed his name, obviously even though he didn't know what his father was up to when he changed it, he knew that he was NOT his father's son. He also seemed to think of Hank as a great father which made Hank's death even more tragic because he was the only real male role model that Walt Jr had.

Another fun fact I saw on IMDB, the only main cast members that never met each other were Walter Jr and Jesse. That was definitely not an accident, Jesse was practically Walt's own son and i think that Walter was actually really proud of Jesse... maybe even more so than Walter Jr. I'll get to that when I talk about Jesse... see how Walter Jr ties all these characters together?

Hank- Hank was a really well written character. He was unlikable at first to make Walter seem more likeable, and then as the seasons go on you get to see that this guy is no idiot, he's actually a hero.

In the first episode he seemed like an asshole cop... when he said that Carmen's ass was "like an onion, makes me want to cry" (do guys really say stuff like that behind girls backs? Lol) it made me think he was probably having an affair on Marie... He takes pictures of dead bodies and laughs at them. He kept Tuco's grillz as a trophy, I mean some of it was just sick... but honestly he's a good guy. He had more emotions than Walter did after everything... when he took the talking pillow, it seemed like he didn't really know what to say, but when he figured it out it came from his heart.

And he was also incredibly smart and picked up on the littlest things. When he saw the Los Pollos menu, he knew that Gale wouldn't have eaten there because he was a vegan and that it had to be Fring that was up to something. I mean he was a friend of the DEA and everything as a cover... it just all added up to him. Even when he was looking through Gale's stuff and he saw something that said "W.W." he knew that it could have stood for Walter White. Walt was being so secret, he hung around with Pinkman, it was his lab equipment that was stolen to cook meth... he knew in the back of his mind that something was up with Walter, but he didn't admit it to himself until he saw the Los Pollos menu. It added up and made sense and ultimately, he was the only agent good enough to bring both Heisenberg and Fring down.


His friendship with Gomez was actually really nice and refreshing too and he was so good to Walter Jr... I wish he was still there for Walt. And I wish that Walt didn't make it seem like he had killed Hank. Any love that Walt jr still had for his father was crushed completely when he said that he had killed Hank. Hank was Walter Jr's hero, and for good reason too. That kind of made his relationship with Walter a little odd too because Walter is a total Alpha Male "this is mine not yours" type of person.

I knew that he was going to die, but it was still sad to see him go.

Saul Goodman- I really love Bob Odenkirk, I thought he was super funny and he did a great job as Saul. The combover was his idea. He originally didn't want to play Saul because he thought a Jewish actor should play him, but when they said that he wasn't really Jewish, he was for it. I thought his
character brought a lot to the show and made it wayyy more interesting and fun to watch. His first episode is one of my favorites. I can't wait till Better Call Saul!

Gustavo Fring- Probably the best tv villain of all time. And it's especially funny because he really is no worse than our "hero" Walter White. He conducts himself just as a regular run of the mill businessman who seems really nice and respectable and smart... But secretly he has people killed, he runs a meth lab, he poisoned like dozens of people at once... Slit Victor's throat for no reason. He is completely ruthless and No one except for Hank would have been able to catch him.

I also think it's funny that when he's just talking regularly, he doesn't have an accent but when he gets angry he has a thick accent! He doesn't just talk regularly very much, but honestly you would have no idea that a person like that would be a huge drug kingpin, and yet he is. It probably happens in real life, now I wonder how many places near me are just fronts for meth labs. Probably a lot.

Jesse Pinkman- my favorite character. He can be super funny at times, but he's also very serious, very angry, and has the biggest heart of anyone on the show. He may have done some stupid things, said some stupid things, but honestly he was one of the smartest people on the show!

I think he was so loyal to Walter because, for one Walter always had his back no matter what at least at the start of the show, and also as crazy as it is, any of the really happy parts of Jesse's life would not have happened without Walter. Jesse would still be a meth head that probably would not have gotten out of cooking and selling meth. Sure, it was Walter that caused Jane to die, and if he hadn't been involved with Walter Andrea would not have died, but he would have never gone to rehab. He wouldn't have been able to stop cooking ever. Now that he's free and alive, he at least has a chance to start over and actually live the clean life that he really wants. He never wanted to kill anyone and he won't have to again.

I was super happy that Jesse got to kill Todd in the finale because Jesse needed to be the one to do it. He wanted to kill Todd when he killed the kid for no reason. He certainly wanted to kill him when he took him hostage and chained him up and forced him to cook, the one thing he wanted out of... And Todd killed Andrea! I mean Todd was just a horrible horrible person and he was really a foil to Jesse. Walt had replaced Jesse with Todd and Todd was the opposite. He had no heart, he was a failure as a cook and just an idiot overall.

Jesse's relationship with Walt was also very close obviously, but it had its ups and downs. They tried to kill each other several times, they were always fighting... But to Walt Jesse was the son he wanted. He looked up to Walter and he cooked with Walter showing him how. As I said Walt Jr and Jesse never meeting wasn't just a coincidence, it was done on purpose because they represent two different sides of Walt. That's why Walt wanted him dead, because Jesse was the bad side and ultimately why Walt saved him. He's an important part of Walts life and who Walter became. And Walt was happy that he did become a legend, so overall he had Jesse to thank for that.

Walter White- the Anti hero of anti heroes... Heisenberg himself. The goal of the show was to take a nerdy high school chemistry teacher and turn him into Scarface over the 5 seasons. That's not an way task to do, but they totally pulled this off and did a fantastic job on this series. Bryan Cranston is probably my favorite actor right now... Other than Aaron Paul.

At first, I was totally on Walt's side. He has cancer, he is unappreciated at his job, an asshole student of his is driving a nicer car that he has to wash for him because he has to work at a car wash part time, he's smarter than his job, he's got a pregnant wife with a child they weren't expecting. It seems to be the most obvious option for Walter. And sure, he has to kill some people immediately, but he doesn't like doing it he just does what he has to. He doesn't want to keep killing people and hiding the bodies, you assume he won't do that anymore... But lots of people are poor and don't have money or insurance to pay for cancer treatments... And Walt had other options. He could have taken the money from The Schwartz's or actually used the "Save Walter White fund. Or do something different. He's a smart chemist, he probably could have found a better job or something. He had other options, he didn't need to start everything that he did.

At the end, he finally starts coming to terms with everything he's done, and he even admits he didn't do it for the family, he did it because he liked doing it. That to me is Walter's finest moment because he is finally honest and finally accepting the fact that he put his family in danger just to give them money that he can't even give them and that they won't even take. He accepts what he has done to everyone that he knows and loves and he dies knowing that.

His main thing is that he wants to be remembered, and he certainly will be remembered... But not for what he should be remembered for. He was a loving father and husband turned into a cold blooded killer that betrayed everyone that he loves and hurt and killed far too many people. I mean I think it's safe to say that most of the deaths on the show, if not caused by Walter were because of Walter and all of the horrible things he's done.

When Hank dies, he says that Walt is one of the smartest people he knows, but in reality Hank is wayyy smarter than Walt. Hank probably would have made good decisions if he were in the same predicament as Walter.

And I think Walter White and Heisenberg are one in the same. When Gretchen says that the Walter White she knew and loved is long gone, but this Heisenberg is still out there... I just don't buy it. Walter decided to become Heisenberg,  he chose his path and it was a bad one.

I think Walter is definitely The BEST modern example of a tragic hero and he really is the ultimate antihero... He is one of my favorite characters of all time and I loved every bit of this show. I thought that it would never live up to ALL of the hype around it... But I actually think it far exceeded any of the hype. I am rather picky about my television shows, so when I say something is this good... You should start watching it right now. I'm not even that into dramas, but I'm going to start watching more now. I think tomorrow I'm going to start watching House of Cards... We will see how that goes lol.

Byeeee!
- Shannon 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f