Skip to main content

Shannon Reviews: The Grand Budapest Hotel

Okay so this is the movie I saw first of all my Spring Break movies, but it isn't in theaters everywhere which is why I decided to post this review last. I've always liked Wes Anderson and even though I had only seen one other movie of his (the royal tenenbaums) I love looking at stills of his movies. This is slightly a film-nerd thing but there is this tumblr page that shows stills of movies and breaks down each of the colors into a color wheel, it's so cool. Anyway, they did Wes Anderson week once and I really loved looking at all the stills of that week. Wes Anderson films are always very bright and colorful, and usually there is some sort of theme with the colors and it's just cool. I admire his style and his signature of directing really. I think that no matter what the subject matter or the reviews are of a Wes Anderson film it is usually worth watching just because it's so visually stunning.

That being said, this was probably one of the most visually stunning films I've ever seen. The colors and all the little details and visual quirks about the characters were magnificent. It's not really something that you can see in your run of the mill movie. And really, of all the Wes Anderson films, this was probably the Wes Andersonyest. It was just a lot of visuals.

The storyline was kind of a lot to take on though. It had 2 narrators, Jude Law and then the current owner of the Budapest. There was also quite a bit of intrigue and a lot of twists and turns. A lot of deaths, a cat died and a man lost all of his fingers. It was more gruesome than I was expecting, but still didn't take away from all of the nice visuals of the movie, which is kind of funny to say.

I don't really want to spoil the movie completely, but there was one death that I think the movie didn't need. If you've seen the movie, it's probably the last one that is mentioned, but it's foreshadowed at the beginning... and it is the old mans reason for his story. I think it was to connect him with the hotel itself more, but it still didn't seem like much of a connection. I guess it was more meaningful, but I still think it could have not happened the way it did maybe. Not sure.

I was talking about the movie with someone the other day that thought that the movie was sad because everyone dies basically, but it didn't really end on a depressing sad note... Just a regular sadness that would happen in life. It's definitely more of a dark comedy, which is what I was expecting, and I kind of like dark comedies (assuming they're done right... You know I may do a post on that...) . My mom asked if it was extremely funny, which isn't really what I was expecting from it so I said no but I wasn't disappointed in that. There weren't really any LOL moments but again I wasn't totoally thinking there would be... It's hard to explain.

Ohhh another cool thing about it is that right after watching it I had a dream about it. I don't exactly remember the dream, but the visuals were the same as the movie, which really shows how beautiful a movie is. It was like having a dream directed by Wes Anderson, which is strange but very very cool.

So yes I'd recommend this movie. I probably liked it just as much s the Roual Tenenbaums... Maybe a little less because I happen to like watching movies and tv shows where people are related... No idea why, just have always been a fan. Lol.

That's about it. If you've seen this movie let me know what you thought of it, if you haven't it's worth renting in HD I think, you don't need to see it in theaters, but I think it's an HD type of thing.


Byeee!
-Shannon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f