Skip to main content

Oscar predictions 2014

Sooo I haven't seen many of the oscar-nominated films, but I thought "hey why not blog about my predictions."

From what I can tell it seems like its anyone's game. That's what I've heard anyway. I'll let you know who I think will win and who I want to win. 

Best Picture 
American Hustle 
Nebraska 
12 Years a Slave 
Captain Phillips 
Gravity 
Philomena 
The Wolf of Wall Street 
Dallas Buyers Club 
Her 

As of right now I've only seen Dallas Buyers Club and 12 Years a Slave and I gotta say 12 Years a Slave deserves it. It was a phenomenal movie and it was brilliantly directed and was just great. The other movie I think could maybe get it is Gravity... but I feel like that was released too early so one of the others will likely get it instead. 

I think it'd be cool to see Her win. I didn't see Her I really want to, but that one is more of a comedy I believe and I think it'd be nice to see a comedy win. Also it just sounds like a really creative movie that can really relate to people today who are maybe more in touch with their phones than reality. I don't think I spoke one word to anyone today, but I texted some people and thats kind of a thing. Idk. 

Best Actor 
Matthew McConaughey - Dallas Buyers Club 
Christian Bale- American Hustle 
Bruce Dern- Nebraska 
Leonardo DiCaprio- The Wolf of Wall Street
Chiwetel Ejiofor- 12 Years a Slave 

I think it will be Matthew McConaughey and I think it should be him. He did an excellent job acting and I really felt for his character. He was so unlikeable at the beginning of the movie but at the end of the movie he really is trying to help people and I don't think another actor could do that. I think it'd be awesome for Leonardo DiCaprio to win an Oscar, I'm a big fan of his and I think he's a great person and it sucks that he doesn't have an Oscar. 

Best Actress 
Amy Adams- American Hustle
Cate Blanchett- Blue Jasmine 
Judi Dench- Philomena
Sandra Bullock- Gravity 
Meryl Streep- August Osage County 

I feel like it's either going to be Amy Adams or Sandra Bullock. Amy Adams is the only actress in these films that doesn't have an Oscar, so I feel like this could be her year... but I don't really think it is. I feel like Sandra Bullock will get it and she probably deserves it. She was pretty much just acting by herself in that movie and I feel like she deserves it. I'm sure Amy Adams will win an Oscar one day, but I don't think it's for this movie. 

Best Actor in A Supporting Role 
Jared Leto- Dallas Buyers Club
Bradley Cooper- American Hustle 
Jonah Hill- The Wolf of Wall Street
Michael Fassbender- 12 years a slave 
Barkhad Abdi- Captain Phillips 

I'm going to say Jared Leto because I think he had an incredibly difficult role to play. His character was a man dressed as a woman who was also dying of AIDs. I also felt like his character was what made the movie a great movie. Maybe I'm biased because this is one the only movie I've seen, but if McConaughey is up there winning an Oscar for his role, it is because Jared Leto's character made him sooo much more likeable. 

From what I've seen on commercials for Captain Phillips Barkhad Abdi I'm sure could get it as well. I really don't know much about the movie because I haven't seen it, but when your co-star is Tom Hanks, who is probably the best actor out there right now and people are talking about your performance over that actor... you're a good actor. That was phrased badly but you get my point. 

Also I'd like Jonah Hill to win... because he's Jonah Hill and it would be hilarious if the kid from Superbad won an oscar. 

And Michael Fassbender was really excellent too and thats a brave role because he was such an unlikeable character and Fassbender did an amazing job. Brad Pitt had a small role in the movie and he produced the movie as well... he could have had that role, but Oscars aren't usually given to these characters that are truly evil, which is why Leo DiCaprio didn't win last year. Its a tough role to play and it's hard to give an Oscar to someone for playing it. 
Best Supporting Actress 
Sally Hawkins- Blue Jasmine 
Jennifer Lawrence- American Hustle 
Lupita Nyong'o- 12 Years a Slave 
Julia Roberts- August Osage County 
June Squibb- Nebraska 

I've heard a lot of people say Jennifer Lawrence. I think that'd be cool to see her win 2 years in a row. I've also heard Lupida Nyong'o is what made the movie 12 Years a Slave so powerful. I haven't seen any of these movies, so I don't really know. I've just heard August Osage County is an incredibly depressing movie that no one I know that saw it liked... so I just hope that movie doesn't win. Not that the acting was bad, just the movie in general I heard was depressing... so yeah.

Okay I started this blog before I saw 12 Years a Slave and I edited the first half now that I've seen it... and I did think Lupita Nyong'o's performance was really powerful and it certainly did add a lot to the movie so I think she absolutely deserves it. But also she was not in the movie all that long. Its hard to say because I haven't seen the rest of these movies, but she really did a great job. Also I think it's going to win for Best Picture, and I don't think they usually give acting awards for the Best Picture pictures... so I'm still guessing they pick J-Law. But I don't think she deserves it as much, especially since she just won an Oscar last year. 

Best Animated Film 
The Croods 
Frozen 
Despicable Me 2 
Ernest and Celestine 
The Wind Rises 

Obviously I think Despicable Me 2 should win. Those movies are the absolute best. They're heartwarming and they make you cry but they are still kids movies so they are funny and adorable. And very light for a kids movie, where some kids movies are wayyy too sad for actual kids.

 I think Frozen will win... but to be honest I really don't think it should. It's a fun movie to watch with friends and stuff... but the story isn't even all that great. There are also too many damn songs! Especially in the beginning of the movie! And they wasted such a great song on such a bad character in the beginning of the movie... Idk. I liked the movie, but I don't think it deserves as much buzz as people are giving it. Tangled was wayyy better in my opinion. Even Brave, in terms of a strong female relationship was much more powerful than Frozen (although Frozen was more entertaining) 

And yeah those are the only 2 movie's I've seen. I will be so angry if Despicable Me 2 loses to Frozen. I honestly will lol. 

Best Original Score 
I don't know all the movies and I'm not one to be super into music... but I have to say I did love the score for Saving Mr. Banks, which is the only movie I saw in the category and it'd be cool to see it win. It helped the story a lot, which is what a score is meant to do. I liked it. 

Original Song 
Happy by Pharrell Williams- from Despicable Me 2 
Let it Go- Frozen 
The Moon Song- Her 
Ordinary love - Mandela: Long walk to freedom

Again I want Pharrell to win for Happy. I love that song it always makes me happy. It is such a nice feel good song, I want Pharrell to EGOT and I think he can. He's got a Grammy GIVE THE MAN AN OSCAR. And then we'll figure out the Emmy and Tony also. He's amazing and I forgive him for collaborating with Gwen Stefani... ohhh I guess I need to explain my Gwen Stefani story before I post this... okay. Well read my Gwen Stefani story if it's up. If it isn't read it soon. 

I also think Let it Go will win... which is a good enough song but again DM2>>>>> Frozen. It's not even a contest. Actually if neither one of them won and Ordinary Love won... that would be fine with me. 

Director 
I really have no idea. I think Gravity or 12 Years a Slave. Again didn't see most of the movies, so I wouldn't really know. Maybe whichever doesn't win Best Picture will win Best Director. That makes sense. 

Screenplay 
Original I'm sure will be Her. That's a super original concept and I feel like years from now, this movie won't be as relevant. Maybe men will have relationships with their phones and this movie will be super outdated. Idk I think it's interesting to see how this movie seems in the future.  Or Nebraska, that seemed good too. 

Adapted- I have no idea. I'm going to root for Philomena because Steve Coogan wrote it and I think he's funny. He was also Ramsbottom in Despicable Me 2... so it works for me! Could be The Wolf of Wall Street because that seemed like a good book. 

Last year I liked the Oscars because all of the best picture nominees won something pretty much. I think the only movie that didn't win was Amour. Ohhh wait no, that won best foreign language film... so maybe Zero Dark Thirty didn't win anything? Probably a political thing. Anyway I like when each of the films wins for something, and idk if that'll happen this year or not. I'd like it to (except august osage county) but yeah... What do you guys think? Winners? Losers? Don't care? Lemme know! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f