Skip to main content

Scribbles About TV: Wentworth Season 1 Review

Just finished watching Season 1 of Wentworth... and I have feelings!

Alright first off... when you watch it... DO NOT read the episode descriptions on Netflix before watching an episode... and DO NOT go on IMDB of the show. Sooo many spoilers. I looked ahead at the episode descriptions and that ruined one huge plot point that would have been a very shocking twist... and when I went on IMDB and saw the number of episodes another character was in... that spoiled another twist and I put two and two together and figured out what was going to happen... so a lot of the end of season 1 was spoiled for me because of that. It was still really good and how everything happened was good... but I didn't need to know it until I watched the episode. Lol.

I should probably give a description of what the show is about too... because I didn't hear about it until my friends all started watching it. It is an Australian show about a woman's prison. The subject matter is similar to Orange is the new black... and the storytelling aspect of it is also similar... but the tone makes the 2 shows completely different and good in their own way. While Orange is The New Black has a lot of comic relief... this doesn't have nearly as much. They have no specific characters where their job is just comic relief. There are funny moments... but there aren't that many and most of it is kind of serious.

The first episode was also pretty action packed... it was as dramatic as this season of Orange is The New Black... it took so long for Litchfield to start a riot... but there was a riot at Wentworth in the first episode and the end of the season was even more dramatic! I'm going to keep this spoiler free... but it was intense for the whole season.

I believe this first season also benefited from having only 10 episodes. There was only one episode that was almost a bit of a lull. It was pretty early on in the season though... so we were just getting to know characters and it did a good job of that. The episode I'm talking about is The Velvet Curtain... which was a good episode... but Bea's story in this episode kind of sucked. She was barely in the episode... but she's sort of the main character and her part was just kind of boring. It was kind of funny and sad and I'm sure it'll be brought up more later on... but it didn't need to go on as long as it did. Maybe that's just me being a prude... but I don't think so. They just kind of went on and on about masturbation and I didn't think they needed that.... lol. Anyway- having 10 episodes as opposed to the 13 OITNB has definitely helped the pace a lot. The other seasons are all 12 episodes... so that might be good or bad. It seemed like they skipped an episode with the Debbie storyline. Like when she was saying her mom was ignoring her at visits... didn't seem that way. Maybe I missed something- but her story felt a bit rushed in that respect.

I think my favorite character is Jaques... just because she's so interesting... I was team Frankie all the way.... but Jaques was this real badass character that came off as a "Martha Stewart" type... but she and her husband were both behind bars because the "family business" involved killing people!... so that was kind of unexpected... I was kind of upset with how her story ended... it just seemed like there could be more there... had it been Orange Is The New Black... we would have known everything about her... but yeah. It's not... and that's a little bit of a sad comparison of this show.

So as much as I LOVED this show when I first watched it... and when I did this review... after kind of reflecting on it more... it's only okay. I started the second season and... I just had no real desire to continue on with it... my favorite characters were gone... I kind of liked the storyline with the Warden that they had at the end of the show... and then she just disappeared and I didn't like the new warden they had... Idk. I'll wait a little bit to watch each season... I liked the first season... but I didn't love it!

Byeee!
-Shannon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f