Skip to main content

Chart Chat 8.11-8.13.17

Alright! Let's jump in here! No real surprises this week... the #3 movie surprised me a little bit... but we'll get to that!

10) Atomic Blonde- Charlize Theron looks really awesome and badass in this summer action movie. The budget for this was 30,000,000... which honestly isn't that high for an Action movie. In the US It's made 42 million so far... I'm guessing it's slowly leaving theaters now... and I think it'll do really well worldwide. I thought this would do a little better... but it isn't the biggest movie out there and I don't think it had the critical praise of something like Baby Driver... which was a surprise hit and was out for quite a while. I'd still like to see this one.

9) The Glass Castle- I think this got relatively "meh" reviews... it didn't sound like that bad of a movie to me though... and there are quite a few stars in it. Brie Larson, Woody Harrelson... I'm a fan of both of them... kind of sort of I guess. I don't necessarily know any Brie Larson movies right off hand... and Woody Harrelson is Woody Harrelson... lol. Anyway uhh... yeah. Sounded good when I heard Sandy Kenyon talk about how bad it was. The script he said was a little weak... so that makes me sad... but hey, whoever wrote the script for this movie: I'm sure you'll do better next time. Lol.

8) Kidnap- This sounded like a total filler movie... there are probably so many movies that get turned down... but then something like this is released that just sounds unappealing and the title doesn't even make sense. I don't know. Did anyone see this? Is it suspenseful?

7) Spider Man: Homecoming- Gotta love Spider Man right? I think he's my current favorite superhero... and I don't think he'll always be my favorite- he's just having a moment right now... and I think that moment is well earned. There have been a lot of spider men and I feel like they've all done a good job. I haven't seen this one yet... but maybe it's good. Lol.

6) The Emoji Movie- Apps are having a bit of a moment now too... and I'm sure this movie is good... just not totally sold on it. I'm surprised it's lower on the list this week... it's only the 3rd week on the charts for this movie... idk. I feel weird when the poop emoji is a character. The poop emoji is funny... but it's a little gross.

5) Girl's Trip- Another surprise hit of the summer... I think at least. This has never been number 1 on the charts, but it's done relatively well for an August movie against some bigger blockbusters... plus it's remained in the top 5 for 4 weeks... and I'd venture to guess it isn't going anywhere. The budget for this movie is only an estimated 19,000,000 and opening weekend in the US it made more than 31,000,000... so not too shabby. Get the right stars at the right time for the right funny kind of movie... and you've really got something.

4) The Dark Tower- This was the number 1 movie last week... which was surprising only because I had no idea what it was... anyway- since we're talking Budgets this weekend... this movie cost 60,000,000 to make and it's made a little over half that so far... so not too big of a success... it's not doing that well worldwide either... so I wouldn't hold my breath for a Dark Tower part 2 or anything... idk I don't know much about movies... so who knows... but this doesn't sound like the best movie anyway... but if you want to look at some hot guys, there are hot guys in this movie. It is late when I'm writing this! Lol.

3) The Nut Job 2: Nutty By Nature-  I'm most surprised at this being as high on the charts as it is. I wasn't doing Chart Chat when the first Nut Job movie in 2014... let me look up that one a bit... this actually won an award for Editing in an Animated movie... the Canadian Cinema Editors award... so that is interesting... it was #3 on the charts the first couple weekends it was on the charts (Ride Along was number 1 both weeks) and then number 4 the following week with Ride Along still at the top... and then it slipped to #8 when The Lego Movie came out- and Frozen was re-released.... so that is kind of interesting... so I'm guessing this will be the #1 family movie for a while... until another family movie is released or re-released and then it will slip a little bit... good timing for this movie. It didn't look as bad as the first movie did... but it seems like this is lacking the heart of other animated movies. I dunno... I was still expecting The Emoji Movie to do better than this to be honest!

2) Dunkirk- Number 2 again this week... it was Number 1 the first 2 weeks on the charts... and then it fell behind The Dark Tower last week... and interestingly enough is 2 spots ahead of TDT this week... so depending on your definition of Interesting... that's a thing. Lol. I've said a lot about this movie already.

1) Annabelle: Creation- Because I find these charts interesting- I've been keeping a list... and at the end of the year I'll either do a "Chart Chat Wrap Up" or something along that nature... maybe I'll start watching some of these movies... so far I've only seen a few! Anyway... I think this at the top spot is interesting because I've also been keeping track of whether something is a sequel, a spin off, or based off of something... this is all 3 of those. It's a Sequel to the original Annabelle, it's a spinoff of The Conjuring and I think this story existed before this movie... so that's a little creepy and interesting in itself.

And since I found this website where I can look at previous charts... I thought it'd be cool to compare... last year at this time the #1 movie was Suicide Squad... so yeah. Just a random thing I thought I'd look up... I usually just look up the top 10 on IMDB but this information about the original Nut Job and last years charts are from Box Office Mojo... so that's a cool thing I'll be using now. might not be the most interesting for August movies... but still. It's something!

Byeee!
-Shannon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f