Skip to main content

Throwback Thursday: Pixels

This is a movie I've never seen before... but I've always kind of wanted to... and despite the awful reviews... it was pretty fun to watch. I have a lot of problems with it... but honestly... I had fun watching it. I watched it while trying to clear out my room for new furniture... and after the Pac Man scene it was kind of hard to focus on anything else... it was pretty fun to watch.

My main issue with the movie... It's incredibly misogynistic... where to even begin with that... there are a lot of jokes that are not the best picture of women. I'm sure the intent of these jokes weren't to demean women... but this is almost a kids movie (I'll get to that in a bit)... and when you hear them joking about the husband leaving the wife for a 19 year old named Sinnamon, Adam Sandler's character thinking that the wife that was dumped for Sinnamon would be old and unattractive because her husband left her, Peter Dinklage's character saying he wished he had chosen to date Martha Stewart instead of Serena Williams because "At least she would make me some food or something" Sandler saying that Kevin James' wife hates him and he says "She just doesn't get it..." Also James says "Ohhh you're the first lady, she's a 10..." about Sandler's love interest... and a woman being a literal trophy at the end... you start to think "Gee... this is sending the wrong message to kids." That's a LOT. And... movies like these make a difference. I'll probably get more into that whenever I re-launch my feminist blog... but there's definitely a big problem here... Also Lady Lisa doesn't talk... which is another problem.

Also not to mention the funniest person in this ENTIRE cast is Jane Krasinski. You know who barely gets any screen time or good lines... Jane Krasinski!

Now back to another thing I didn't like about the movie... I have no idea who this movie was geared towards. It definitely seems like a kids movie... but then there are jokes like Josh Gad's character saying "I'm going to die a Virgin." Which is weird for a kids movie. It is rated PG-13... but I can't really imagine a group of adults seeing this unironically and enjoying it. It's like more family friendly than the movie Evolution... and maybe it's a little more fun... but it doesn't have the eye candy that is David Duchovny... so I don't see why anyone would watch this lol.

Anyway... it's also weird because they keep mentioning things like "ohhh back in my day we played Pacman in arcades and socialized." I know arcades aren't really big anymore... but Pacman hasn't really gone anywhere... I'm sure kids today know these video games just as well as the more violent games like the kid was playing. It's not like Pacman is some indie game or something... I'm pretty sure Pacman has always been HUGE. It's something people would know.

This is also a world where Kevin James is President... and they modeled him after Chris Christie... which is probably why I hated his character... I mean it was fitting for the story... but I live in NJ and I don't think most people in NJ are very big Christie fans... and we have good reason for that. Lol. I'll leave it there... but yeah. It kind of alienates people when you model a character after a real life politician and you portray them as a hero.

Anyway in spite of all that... I still had fun watching the movie for the time I watched it... so if you're looking for something kind of fun to watch... this is 105 minutes long... and you don't really have to pay much attention to it... If you like arcade games a lot... Wreck it Ralph is a better movie... but this is still a little fun... it's also a little funnier than Evolution... but again no Duchovny. There was better chemistry between everyone else for the most part... but seriously... Jane Krasinski was underused. Nobody puts Jane Krasinski in the corner!

Byeee! Hope you enjoy this break from writing about Friends... next week I think I'll have another little break from that and then I'm almost done with Season 3... so I'll be back on track!

Byeee!
-Shannon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f