Skip to main content

Scribbles About TV- Shannon Watches Old TV Shows: The X Files Season 3 part 1

This season is the best! There are a few episodes in this season that I think are kind of forgettable, but I believe this season and season 6 are the only seasons where I liked every episode. The bad part is it kind of goes downhill from here... lol. Nothing really compares to the amazing episodes in this season, but there's a lot of good ones in the next few seasons and even season 8 I liked (although I happened to like the Scully is pregnant storyline... so yeah.) My favorite episode is in this bunch (can you guess which one????) and some of my other favorites are in this bunch and the next bunch also.

The Blessing Way
This episode I remember being really cool with the Native American stuff and I really liked it at the time... now its a little cheesy... a little over the top, but I still think it works. I really like the second part of this episode better, I thought this one was a little bit of a really long introduction... but I still thought it was a great premier overall. Like I said its rare that I re-watch season finales... its even more rare that I re-watch season premiers and this is one I know I rewatched a few times. I thought it was pretty cool overall still. I liked it.

Paper Clip
Really liked this episode and I remembered so little of it. I totally didn't remember that Scully's sister had died, but I was watching a video of someone playing the X Files game and on Scully's file it said her sister Melissa was diseased. And I could vaguely remember her dying, but I remembered Scully's baby shower in Season 8 and I thought she was there to... guess not. Lol. Maybe Scully's friend that plays the cello was there or something, but Melissa was dead. Anyway... what a great episode. It makes me just want to bingewatch all the other ones... but I'm trying to listen to The X Files Files too and I don't want to get too ahead of it... but I'm pretty sure I'll watch D.P. O and Clyde Bruckman tonight cause D.P.O has Jack Black and Clyde Bruckman is my favorite episode. And I think they do one episode at a time for those two cause I think they bring in Jack Black for D.P.O and Clyde Bruckman needs its own episode. Lol. And Skinner was awesome in the episode. The Cigarette Smoking Man was badass and evil and one of the bad guys is the voice of Winnie the Pooh... oddly un-threatening. But still works somehow. Pretty cool.


D.P.O
This has one of the scariest endings in any X Files episodes. This is wayyy weirder than I remembered it too! I remembered one episode with Jack Black, and I knew it was this one, but for some reason I also got it confused with War of the Coprophages, so I kind of thought that Jack Black was doing Crystal Meth and died that way... but Giovoni Ribisi's character was seriously disturbed and because he was hit by lightning he had this power to strike anyone with lightning. And he uses it to kill people that have wronged him, cows, he saves his teachers husband because he's in love with her... and he uses his powers to scare her into almost being with him at one point. He kills his best friend and... he lives at the end. And there is no way of proving it was him that killed anyone, so there isn't anything Mulder and Scully can do about it. They just have to accept that this kid is "just a normal teenager" which he isn't. They did such a good job on his character too. I've never seen the movie Chronicle, but it seemed slightly like that movie, only with lightning. And really they could do a whole movie just on Giovoni Ribisi's character in this... it was really really good. His relationship with his mother too is just so interesting and they only show it for a second but... its good. I liked this better than I liked Carrie... which isn't saying much because I do love the idea of Carrie... but the movie I don't think turned out right... so yeah. Wow. Really good.

Plus its at the perfect time in this season also for this episode. After the Project Paper Clip stuff and everything they just did in the last episode... it just seems like yeah, this is how the government deals with murderers now.

Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose
This is my favorite episode. And still it holds up. I can't even explain why it is or why it shouldn't be... but it is so great. I've watched this episode a bunch and I notice something new every time. Peter Boyle is amazing. This is probably the best guest star of all time. Its so sad and funny at the same time, and it really is suspenseful even though the cold open shows who the killer is. I like the way that Clyde becomes psychic. I like that he's in love with Scully because who isn't and that Scully likes this guy too. I like that Mulder gets really frustrated. There is a brilliant callback to Beyond The Sea. Mulder is testing out that psychic cause he believes he's fake and he gives him his New York Knicks Jersey and that psychic says its something bad that lead to a murder. In this one Clyde says "I know! This is yours! Its from your New York Knick's Jersey" and of corse it wasn't. He's such a dark character but still he has this funny liveliness to him for someone obsessed with death. Its a great episode. I know its a lot of peoples favorites, Kumail from The X Files Files mentioned that this is his favorite episode too. Its really great. If you're going to watch one episode of this show, watch this one. Its fun, its dark its scary and its amazing.

This is also the first episode I ever watched. I was a kid and this was on FX and my sister had it on and I thought it was Everybody Loves Raymond so I watched, and realized it wasn't. But still after all this time, it is definitely my favorite.

The List
This one was good not great. I didn't really love it, but I don't think it slowed the season down at all. Its a little disappointing after watching Clyde Bruckman, but it is still pretty good. It was creepy and also frustrating because we don't know what happened at all at the end. It seemed like maybe some stuff was cut out of this one for time and it didn't make much sense without whatever was missing... but it also seemed more like an "its ambiguous because its extra creepy" type of thing instead of being poorly written. I do think maybe there was supposed to be something more, but it didn't turn out too bad.

2Shy
What a great, scary episode. Its interesting to watch now that online dating is such a popular thing, but here it was kind of just starting and mostly it seemed like people that did online dating were lonely and maybe not good looking... which isn't the case at all with any of the women that were attacked but also in general today. He mentioned that they were all overweight because he had to suck the fat out of them to survive and that was creepy in itself... but yeah. It does kind of go to show you you never know who you're talking to when you talk to someone online... which is scary!

Funny thing... On The X Files Files they kind of pointed out some things that... aren't cool about this episode. The women were all described as fat or overweight because he had to suck the fat out of them... these women didn't look like they were overweight at all really. And they even said "she has a weight problem. She was 160 pounds" like fat people can't find dates and the end was really pretty terrible with that also. And... there were a lot of problems with the episode. But overall I didn't think it slowed down the season at all. Same with The List. I would say The List is a pretty skippable episode, this one I don't think is as much. If you don't watch it its not the end of the world... but it isn't great. It reminds me of Irresistible but its a little less creepy and not quite as good overall... so yeah.

The Walk
The beginning of this I didn't like that much... but I really liked the end of it. It seems classic X Files. And it doesn't totally add up, we don't really have any answers by the end of the episode... but all in all its pretty good. I was going to say this was skippable, it slowed down the season, but its actually pretty good. This is a weird season because usually there are 2 2-part episodes somewhere in the middle of the season as well as the season primer and finale... but in this one the season premier is a 2 parter and I think there is only one 2 part episode in the middle of it all... but they have some good stand alone episodes and this one I think I liked more than The List and more than 2shy. I don't know why I just really liked the end of it. Good ending and it creeped me out.

Oubliette
Another good one and a Really really sad one. It was just kind of a bummer. Good acting from David Duchovny, you could really see Mulder relating to those characters and really wanting to help him and when he thinks the little girl died his heart just breaks. And he's very upset at the end of the episode too when Lucy dies and its just really really a sad note that the episode ends on, but its a pretty great episode. I feel like this was more interesting to watch as a whole than The Walk... but theres something about The Walk that I liked a little better towards the end. Both good episodes.

Nisei
OOOO I was wrong! There is another mythology 2 part episode in this season! And a good one! I remember first finding out that Scully was probably going to get cancer and that was quite the twist! I also remember the Alien Autopsy video thing and I think its funny that they mention the one that aired on Fox because this show also aired on Fox... probably right before an episode of The X Files or something. Lol. Good episode!

731
Wow. I did not remember this episode at all... and it was really good. The bomb on the train that was also going to give all kinds of diseases to everyone? The way that at the end CSM just lights his cigarette and smokes away like it was all in a days work to bomb and kill a bunch of people... man. What a great show. And Mulder still makes jokes even when the bomb is about to go off! Lol. Definitely got his 29.95 worth!

Although I do have to say... this might be one of my least favorite myth episodes. I can see why it wasn't that memorable to me. It was good and everything... but compared to the Bounty Hunter episode, it wasn't quite as good. And if I'm not mistaken, the Black Oil is coming into play in the next 2 parter and I'm really excited about that. That's one of my favorite things of The X Files.

Revelations
I don't think I liked this episode when it first came on. A lot of the religious episodes I remember not loving because I was in catholic school when I watched this and I felt like I already got enough religion in school... but I like it now. In this time watching I love the Scully episodes and its especially nice after the last episode being such a Mulder episode to remember how great Scully is too. She's such a great character and I really think they did a good job with her in this episode. Its also nice that she feels like she has this great purpose and Mulder doesn't understand it at all. Its very sad but makes for a really powerful stand alone episode. I really like the stand alone episodes with a strong character story. Really good. I liked it a lot.

There is stuff that isn't explained in the episode... so the whole paranormal bit of it is a little off... but its still really good.

War of the Coprophages
One of my favorites! Darrin Morgan's 3rd episode... probably my least favorite of all of them... but still great episode. I'm writing this before watching it... so lets see what I think after...

Alright still my least favorite Darin Morgan episode, but its better than most episodes anyway. Its pretty fun. I like that Quequeg is in this one, I like the hot lady scientist named Dr. Bambi, I liked that Scully and Mulder were talking on the phone. I felt like there was a lot with this episode and it was good... but I don't know that it all came together in the best way that it could have.

I also kind of like seeing what Mulder and Scully do when they aren't at work. Thats fun. This is definitely one I will watch multiple more times and I like it a lot... but its like the worst of the best. Lol.

All of Darin Morgan's episodes play with the serious tone of The X Files and shift it from being serious to being comedy... but none of them are pure comedies, theres still a lot of symbolism and a lot going on in them. This one felt the least like that. Humbug and Clyde Bruckman are like works of art... this is almost a parody of a parody. I still kind of love it though.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f