Skip to main content

Scribbles About Books: The Fault In Our Stars (also movie comparison)

I recently finished The Fault in Our Stars after back to back John Green Books and here are my thoughts on it.

I really love John Green's writing. I think its amazingly symbolic and you could probably read one book 20 times and find a different meaning for it each time... which is why I find different meanings in the movies compared to some of the books... which I mentioned in my review of the Paper Towns Movie... 

I held off on reading this book or seeing the movie for a long time because of how teenagers kind of get with these things. I feel like there's sort of a glamorization of being sick or being near death that has happened recently and I think this book may have caused that little trend... however this book doesn't glamorize the situation at all. It shows all the struggles of real relationships, as well as in a relationship between 2 teenage cancer patients. It shows all the hard parts of helping the other when they're sick, how hard it is to be with someone that is sick and that you really need to work towards love. And after a person dies, it is okay to be sad, and it is okay to move on and to finish things and to continue being a happy person that helps others. And everyone grieves differently. 

One thing I found interesting while watching the movies... and there are going to be spoilers here, but I'm pretty sure I'm the last person ever to read this book... the parallels between Hazel's parents and Peter Van Houten. After Peter's daughter dies, he becomes a horrible, unbearable person. He didn't even finish the novel he wrote to grieve his daughter, he doesn't even leave the house much or do anything other than drink and complain about spending money... which he has plenty of by the way. 

And in contrast we have Hazel's mother. Hazel is always worried about her mother because all her mother does is mother Hazel. Hazel doesn't think she or her father will do anything after she dies. She also thinks they'll become unfinished, like An Imperial Infection. She thinks that she'll become the same monster Peter Van Houten becomes... whether she realizes that or not, that is something she is afraid of. And that's why when Hazel's mom says she's taking classes to work in social work, Hazel is so happy. She knows her mom will help people when people like Peter Van Houten just yell at them and make them feel bad. 

And I don't necessarily think John Green means to insult Peter Van Houten's way of grieving. As Hazel says in the beginning, the only thing that sucks worse than biting it from cancer is having a kid that bites it from cancer and thats still what Van Houten is going through and it seems he won't be able to get the help he needs... but it shows that Hazel also has a choice to make. Does she want to grieve Agustus the way Van Houten grieves his daughter, or does she want to be like her mom. Does she want to continue living her life even though it sucks now. Yes. In her mind, she won't be with Agustus ever again. He believes in Something, but she really doesn't and she knows that what they had was special and beautiful and thats all it ever will be... and thats enough. The world sucks, but you get what you get, and she's learned to accept and be happy with that and just that. Which is a really special and unbelievable thing to do. And this book isn't like an atheist book or anything, it gives all different views of religion, as do most of John Green's books I notice... but its not anti anything. Hazel is okay with Patrick believing that they are sitting in the literal heart of Jesus. She's okay with Agustus believing in something, and she's okay with herself not really believing in anything. She's happy with her choices. I feel like its rare to see a book that portrays atheism in such a beautiful way. I'm like Agustus and I believe in Something, but its kind of nice to see such a beautiful take on atheism and I think its a powerful message. Believe what you want to believe, and live for those beliefs... but be happy with what you have in spite of all beliefs. No one really knows what's going on, so thats kind of the best way to live I think. 

I also really liked that this book was told from the point of view of a teenage girl instead of a teenage boy. I love Paper Towns and Looking For Alaska, but the narration of the teenage boys wasn't relatable to me because I've never been a teenage boy. I don't know if they worship these girls the way they do in the books and obsess and obsess over what they might be like and what it may be to be with them. I have, however, been a teenage girl and I've had crushes on boys and been "in love" with them and this is a quite accurate depiction of that. So I'm guessing the teenage boy ones were spot on... which creeps me out a bit. Lol. But I really thought John Green did a great job with it and he pretty much nailed it. I could really relate to her and I found it refreshing. I've really liked all the female characters in his books, as well as the guys... but the girls are all so awesome and cool and badass mostly. 

And I thought the movie did a great job. It really did the film justice. It didn't show quite as strong of a relationship between Hazel and her parents, which was a pretty important part of the book... but I thought they did a good job of kind of showing it. I thought Shaileene Woodly was amazing. Who knew she could act? Secret Life of An American Teenager was bad! Lol. And Ansel Elgort is just... 
He's really cute and good. He's a little young for me, but not too young lol, he's adorable and I have a huge crush on him. And thats not an easy role to play and he nailed it. From Teenage Boy to Romantic Hero to Dying Kid... he just gave a really great performance. 

There was one part in this movie where I cried... which I didn't in the book. I think when Isaac was giving his eulogy. I just thought that was really sad and I really like Isaac as a character too and I thought it was really powerful. 

Overall definitely recommend. Paper Towns I would read the book and then see the movie, if you want to... the movie changes a lot and its a little disappointing, but still good. This movie I wasn't disappointed by... but the book is always better, so read it first. You really can't beat the beautiful, funny and tragic way that every line from John Green is written. 

Also he's hot... which I didn't notice until I saw Paper Towns and they had him talk before the movie. Lol he cute. I knew what he looked like, but he's quite cute. 

Byeee! 
-Shannon 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f