Skip to main content

Scribbles About TV: Wet Hot American Summer First Day Of Camp REVIEW

Okay so one of my favorite movies of all time I'd say is the 2000 classic Wet Hot American Summer. Which, essentially has no plot other than a bunch of teenagers (played by people in their mid to late 30s) at a summer camp. And this cast is THE CAST. If you're a comedy nerd like I am, you can name every person in this movie and what other movies they're from and all their web series and podcasts and which of these other actors have appeared in those web series... the list goes on. But its good.

And its a bonkers ridiculous movie. I can totally get that its not for everyone and the first time you watch it you might be like "what the hell did I just watch" but if you watch it again you'll be like "this is the finest piece of artwork ever formed. I'm going to watch it every day of my life." Or maybe not. Maybe its just another stupid comedy, but for me its kind of a big deal. 

So I was excited for the series, and especially excited that not only did the entire cast come back, there were some newcomers to. 

Also it should be noted the movie takes place on the last day of camp, this series takes place entirely on the First Day Of Camp. So its a prequel... but a prequel that explains everything and really gives me a greater appreciation for the original. 

Elizabeth Banks has a great origin story in this, you get to see the Chemistry between Michael Ian Black and Bradley Cooper... which I'll get to, you see Gail's marriage and how she becomes divorced. You get to see how Chris Meloni's character comes to be. You see the origin of the Can of Vegetables! Every question you wanted explained and some you haven't are explained in this prequel. 

Also can I just say for 2 straight men, the chemistry between Bradley Cooper and Michael Ian Black was fantastic. I would go so far as to compare it to the chemistry between Mulder and Scully on The X Files. I feel like I have this huge crush on Michael Ian Black now because he just has this amazing charisma and charm that it would have been impossible for Bradley Cooper not to fall in love with him. It was adorable! 

And I guess its just me, but the kids all seemed the same to me too. I know that they would have to be different than the kids from 15 years ago... but they did a good job of making it authentic. Also those kid actors, just as good as the adults. Not boring to watch at all, just really good overall. 

I think my favorite joke was when (Spoilers coming... but if you've seen the movie you kinda know how it ends anyway... so its not a big spoiler.) Mitch tells Beth that she'd be such a great director of the camp that by the end of the summer everyone will look 15 years younger. I thought that was really good. 

Also the newcomers in this series were good. Particularly I liked Jason Schwartzman a lot... and I just love him in general especially in a good comedy. His delivery just fits perfectly with the show. H. Jon Benjamin, its always great to physically see him because I forget he's not animated... but then he was animated after all... which made me even happier somehow. Randall Park is probably the most underrated star of all. He's so good in this I really hope he comes back next season. And Michael Cera was just great. He's so good at being overly serious to the point where its ridiculous, same with Jon Hamm and John Slattery... they were just all great. 

I also liked that it wasn't just the same characters interacting with the same characters. I thought they did a good job of mixing it up a little. I loved Molly Shannon and Chris Meloni together. I also loved that Amy Poehler and Bradley Cooper were in this a little more. And that really impressed me too. There are characters that weren't in the movie too much, but they were in this a lot. And I thought that was pretty great and it was just new and fun to watch. Ohhh and David Wain of corse! 

And they did a lot of callbacks and references to the original. You've got barbecue sauce on you, and the diaphragm bit... it was just funny. 

I think if you liked the movie, you'll love this show. If you didn't like the movie... I think the tone of the show is a little bit easier to follow and I think it works really well as a series. I think they did an amazing job with everything, and I really hope they make some more. This was awesome! 

Thats it! Hope you guys are equally obsessed with this. 

Byeeee! 
-Shannon 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f