Skip to main content

Scribbles About Books: The Scorch Trials by James Dashner (Maze Runner Series book 2)** *SPOILERS***

So I just finished reading The Scorch Trials which is the second book in the Maze Runner Series. Its been a really long time since I read the first Maze Runner book... I think I read it my Sophomore year of college... so over 4 years ago! And I really liked the movie Maze Runner which came out last year. Thats definitely one of my favorite movies based on a book... ever really. I thought it was really exciting and well done. I think my only complaint about the movie was Teresa really wasn't in it much and I don't think they did a great job with the telepathy stuff... but still it was pretty good.

So its been a long time since I've read that and I don't completely remember it... but I think I liked this one a lot better... for a bunch of reasons and I'm really excited to see the movie.

The thing I think I liked most about this one was the character development. Thomas just seems like a regular "harry potter" type of character in the first Maze Runner. He's special but your not really sure why and he's smart but isn't too much of a character. In this one, he seems like a regular teenage boy. The way he flirts with Teresa and eventually Brenda and how he's kind of confused and moody in a lot of it. There's a real sense of "ohhh this is a real teenager in a weird circumstance." And not just some "Chosen One" type of thing the way he seemed in the first one. I really liked reading about him and kind of getting mad at him (I've been a teenage girl... he would have been really frustrating to have a crush on.) Its something I don't think many books really have. I mean Katniss Everdeen is awesome... but I don't think her situation is as relatable as Thomas's in this.

I also liked that we kind of know the world of the book by now... but there are still a lot of mysteries within it. In the Maze Runner we were pretty clueless as to what was going on, we only knew what Thomas knew... which is still how it is in The Scorch Trials but its enough to kind of understand whats happening and knowing that the world is ending and that for whatever reason they need the kids to do these things.

I think the reason why it took me so long to read this was because The Maze Runner didn't end how I thought it would at all. I like the idea of all these kids being in a maze and trying to find a way out. I'm pretty terrified of mazes, so I thought that was a cool concept and when I knew the maze was over and that this was an end of the world, global warming type of thing... I wasn't really on board. But I thought they did a cool job of creating The Scorch... which is like the Maze... but even more exciting and challenging. It reminded me of Catching Fire. I think it might not be the best book in the series... but the most exciting book in The Hunger Games Series to me is Catching Fire because they're back at The Hunger Games... the stakes are higher and its a more challenging game overall. And I thought this was a different type of challenge. It was kind of the same idea as The Maze... but it was pretty different and I thought the differences were really interesting... and this one was kind of just as scary as the other one.

I also liked all the new characters a lot. I liked Aris and Group B and I liked Brenda and The Cranks... I thought everything just kind of worked really well in making this a cool book to read. I really liked that they had more girl characters in this one... I found the first one a little harder to relate to because it was about a boy... but because they included a lot of really awesome female characters in this... like Brenda, it was pretty cool. And knowing that there was another book of the female characters. I'd love to read that! See what Group B was doing in The Maze.

And overall this book just got me excited to find out what really does happen. Is Wicked good? Do they have a cure for The Flare? What happens to all the gliders? Why can some communicate telepathically and others can't. When did Brenda get this ability to communicate telepathically with Thomas. Who does Thomas choose? Brenda or Teresa? Lol. Its a lot of stuff to handle.

So yeah... that is pretty much everything. I definitely recommend this book and The Maze Runner. The first movie was really good too, I can only hope this movie captures it as much. I kind of went back and forth if I really liked this book or not... but it is a fun read.

And random: For some reason I read these with a Scottish Accent. Not that I read out loud in a Scottish accent... but the voice that reads them to me is Scottish... so thats a little weird. Not quite as much in this book as The Maze Runner... but it still happened and it still works.

Byeeee!
-Shannon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f