Skip to main content

How To-sday- My Writing Process

So recently, I've discovered a sort of new, for me at least writing process and I figured a lot of other people with blogs are probably writers to some extent. This isn't like how I write my blogs or anything, this is for larger projects like a book or a movie or something along those lines.

So I start with my idea. My recent idea was about Christmas Songs and how they get made. I'll write down that idea and than other little things I'd like to include in that idea. I wrote Halloween, Jealous Brother, Love Triangle... a bunch of other things. And I just write it down slopily on a blank piece of paper. I'll write them down as I think of them, so I don't just brainstorm for 20 minutes or whatever. I think of an idea and I let it marinate for a few days. If I can't fill at least half a page, its probably not that great of an idea anyway.

I'll also write down a list of some inspirations I have that are things I'd like to keep in mind while writing. For example: I think the town of Pawnee and Greendale Community College are both hilarious and I love the small-town thats really crazy vibe and that type of setting, so I might watch some episodes of those shows just to get an idea of what I think this should be. My idea is nothing like Parks and Rec or Community... but I find those shows funny and I want to write something that I think is funny. I also wrote things like Christmas Songs, Zach Woods from The Office, Playing House and Silicon Valley... and more specifically his character on The League and just other things. I even put Gone Girl on the list even though this is nothing like Gone Girl at all. These are just things I can watch, listen to or think about while I'm writing this so that I can further be inspired. I can watch them in the background of doing something else... or just watch them right before I start writing. Just to help me form what I can do.

And my last step before doing anything else is figure out my main character and then write a little monologue or diary entry or something from his or her perspective. This helps me come up with a name and even as I was writing this little snippet from my character's perspective I was thinking "Okay, so I want him to do this... how does he do that... what are his motivations and why is he like that." And it helped me form the plot that I plan to use for this little thingy.

And I may write something from the perspective of other characters too. It may be something included in the book, it may just be something that happens to them in this world but outside of the actual book or story itself... its just so that I know my characters and so that they're very real.

And then I'll start writing.... which as of this second that I'm writing this post, I haven't started yet... but I will. It'll be on track.

So there you go! I would do this all in a notebook or diary of some sort and keep the page opened while its still marinating. If its a good idea, you'll have a page of ideas written before you know it and the characters will all come really easily to you.

Hope this helps!

Byeee!
-Shannon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f