Skip to main content

Mini movie reviews! (There's Something About Mary, American Beauty and more)

Sooo I've been home from school and lately either when I'm home alone and I'm not working and have time to watch something or late at night after work, I've been watching movies that I've always wanted to watch but haven't gotten around too for whatever reason.

But I'm A Cheerleader- I had seen the end of this movie so many times, but I've never seen the full thing. From what I've seen it was funny and interesting and since I like Natasha Lyonne so much in OITNB I thought it would be fun to see her in a much different role. This was a funny movie and it was cute, but it was kind of boring at parts. It's a little cheesy, they kind of skip plot with a bunch of montages- which I don't like. But overall it's cute. As a straight girl that just wanted to see a kind of cutesy movie, it's not like its totally a "skip it" movie... but Idk if I'd devote all of my time to watching it. With teen movies like this, its probably better to have it on in the background cleaning your room or something. Still a See It though because it is good.

Benchwarmers- So you know how guys a lot of times like really stupid comedies? That's how I saw this lol. It's like the other side to girls dragging their boyfriends to see rom-coms, but I like really silly movies like this too so I liked it. It's actually a pretty feel good movie and there are gross parts, like a couple of vomit scenes that really grossed me out... but nothing too bad. It's a really funny movie and I definitely recommend watching it. You'll laugh a lot. The best part is probably the costume choices... David Spade is wearing a girls shirt one time that says something about cute asian boys... it was funny. See It. 

There's Something About Mary- This is one of those comedies that is hugely HUGELY hyped about that for some reason I had never seen. I figured there was no way it would be all that funny after hearing ALL the hype about it for several years, but honestly it lived up. This is another stupid movie that I could probably watch a dozen more times and still think its funny. I kind of wish Cameron Diaz was in it a little bit more because I do think she's super super funny and I really like her movies, but she was good in this. The way that it was done was kind of like there is no main character.

I also thought about who would be in this movie if it were cast with comedy actors today. Mary: Elizabeth Banks, Ted: Nick Kroll, Healy: probably James Franco, Tucker: Idk some stoner actor probably lower profile than Seth Rogen... TJ Miller maybe? Dom: Zach Galifinakis. It could totally work with different comedians as well. It was super funny and amazing. Definitely a See It! 

 American Beauty- This is one of those movies that seems like everyone should see it at some point and that's kind of why I watched it. At first I didn't find it all that interesting, I already knew the end, or at least I thought I did, I read a cracked article that spoiled the end but I misinterpreted it and thought it was something different... The killer isn't quite who I thought it was but I predicted the twist that made him the killer. I guess that's a little obvious idk. At first I wasn't that captivated, but I had to stop watching the movie with about an hour left and then I stopped watching again with 20 minutes left and that was all I could think of all day really. It's not something I think you necessarily have to see, but at the same time you should see it. Lol. It's also much different from any other movie, which I really appreciated about it . And I'm not gonna lie, I think Kevin Spacey might be my top old man crush and he was super creepy in this movie... But also kind of hot. I'd see it for that alone. See it if you don't mind weird creepy movies and murder. Otherwise you can pass. 

Women Who Kill- This is a really funny Netflix comedy special with 4 really funny ladies, the only thing is it's only an hour long so it's only a 15 minute set for each woman. So even though I love Amy Schumer, Rachel Feinstein was hilarious and does great impressions, Nikki Glaser is essentially my twin and Marlina Franklin was also super funny and made some great points about Game Stop that I agree with... I'm gonna say Skip it see their full stand up instead. I was disappointed. It was super super funny, but I was disappointed. 

Whatever Standup Special Jenny McCarthy has on Netflix- this is the same deal. I think it's slightly longer with a few more comedians, but it's not quite as funny. It's good but it can also be a Skip it. 

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zisou- I really like Wes Anderson and I really loved this movie. It was different, really great possibly one of my favorites. I feel like if you see one Wes Anderson movie, you can tell whether or not you'll like his other movies... So if you like it see it if you don't, don't. Actually this one is different enough that you may still like it, but you get the point!

There are a lot of other movies that I also want to see and have started to watch that I will do another mini review soon.

Byeeeee!
-Shannon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f