Skip to main content

Pixar's Bao Broke Me (In A Good Way) *Spoilers*

Okay... so I just watched The Incredibles 2... I'm posting this much after... but I just saw that movie a few hours ago at this point... and I loved it. But I can't stop thinking about the beautiful animated short before the movie- which was called Bao.

In Bao we see a Bao bun come to life for a woman... and she raises it for her own. She gets the Bao baby everything it wants, she watches him grow up and start to rebel against her and he becomes closer to friends that she doesn't like... and eventually he gets engaged and tries to move away... but the woman eats the Bao before he can go... and then she cries in her bed.

We then find out that this woman does have a real human son that has come back and he wants to let her know how much he loves her... and it's really really sweet.

We then see her making bao buns with the son and his new fiance/wife... and the fiance or wife is doing a better job then the son... and it's just really sweet.

The scene where she ate the bao kind of broke me... it was so sad that you see her raise this Bao Bun and you see it come to life because of this woman... and then she's just so crushed by the Bao that she eats it... and then you realize the Bao wasn't her son... she did have an actual son and the bao was just her way of coping with the loss of her son I suppose. And when she ate the Bao she was coming to terms with things and realizing that she needed to fix things with her son... and then her son comes back into her life and they build their bond back up and start bonding in new and different ways.

I think it's a beautiful story and this was one of those rare times when the short was actually a little bit more emotional than the movie itself.

The animation of this movie was also quite beautiful... they had water and they really captured the texture of the bao and all the food really... it was quite interesting and it couldn't have been easy to animate. A side note: The animation in Incredibles 2 was also really beautiful. All the action sequences impressed me and all of the hair on everyone... it just all seemed spot on and beautiful and I thought I would mention that here.

The short was also Pixar's first short directed by a woman and it was a Chinese Canadian woman named Domee Shi. If you want to read an article about the short- read right here. The article is mostly stating that a lot of white audience members were confused by it on twitter... but the more interesting part is when the director herself actually speaks. It's pretty beautiful and I really admire this director and hope she directs something more from Pixar. She's very creative and tells very good stories!

Bye!
-Shannon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogmas Day 12: The 12 Days of Christmas Gift Guide

So I thought it would be fun to do a gift guide that every gift corresponds with the price. So like for the first day of Christmas $1 gift that would be good and then up from there. These would be good stocking stutterers and things I just think are unique. $1- Solar Powered Dancers!  My mom loves getting the little dancing solar powered people. We get most of ours from Dollar tree... other dollar stores have them too, they're super cute and fun for $1. Its good to put near any plants that you have that way you know they're getting sunlight. It's a good gift. $2- Mini Coloring Book!  At 5 Below they had some mini travel sized coloring books for $2. I thought these were pretty cool. I got the Botanical one I believe. Really cute and fun! I would recommend! $3-   Ceramic Truck w/ Christmas Tree  I saw this at the Target Dollar Spot and I thought it was cute and would probably make a great gift. If you know someone who has a truck or likes the sort of "rustic C...

It List: May 2017

Can't believe it's the last day of May... this was a great time for TV... so let's get right into it! 1) Master of None- The second season of this show was really really great! I liked the first season... but this season was just wayyy better to me for some reason... I loved that they had episodes about Italy and about New York... I think they did a really great job and I was so impressed with it... I'll have to watch the first season over again and do a Throwback Thursday on that sometime soon... but until then... season 2 was great! 2) Girl Boss- I finally got around to watching Girl Boss this month too... and I loved that show! At first I wasn't sure if I was going to like it or not... then I just couldn't stop watching it and I finished it in 2 days... which I guess is when I finished all the Netflix shows I'm talking about... but still. Girlboss was definitely really good... and I feel like I could watch this one over and over again too. 3) Unbrea...

Catching Fire Review! (some mild plot spoilers from The Hunger Games and Catching Fire)

Hello lovely people! I just saw Catching Fire and I liked it so much I figured I'd do a review on it! So if you haven't seen/read the hunger games it is a dystopian novel that focuses on games that people in Panem (which used to be the united states) compete in. The games take children from 12-18 I think, I may be wrong it may be older than 12 and they fight to the death in these Hunger Games that they are automatically entered in and have their names chosen at random. A boy and a girl from each of the 12 districts competes and if they sign their names more times, they will get more food to feed their families. The movies never actually mentioned that, but it's interesting and important. So the heroine of the story is Katniss Everdeen, played by Jennifer Lawrence. She volunteers in the games for her sister. And I don't want to really give away the end of the first one, but Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson are both in the second one... so it's a little obvio...