Skip to main content

The Weekly Pop 10.8.17

Hello and Welcome to The Weekly Pop! The news and stuff for all things Pop Culture!

News 

Tom Petty passed away this week at the age of 66. People know him from his band Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers... he sang songs like Free Fallen, Refuge and American Girl... He was just finishing up a tour and went into cardiac arrest right before the end of his final tour... he will be missed and his songs remembered forever (I never considered myself a big fan, but I love all of these songs and appreciate that they all came from one really talented man. I never really realized that before and I think I'll try listening to some more songs.)

Hugh Heffner also died this week and Sunday Morning did a great tribute to him saying that "Icons are complicated" and while some people think of him as a "Visionary" and some people think of him as "a dirty old man" he is both. If you admire him or despise him- you aren't wrong!

Some of the cast of mean girls reunited this Mean Girls Day- October 3rd- and they asked for fans to donate to a gofundme page to help victims of the Las Vegas tragedy... so that was an awesome awesome cause for reunion. Jonathan Bennet (Aaron Samuels), Lacey Chabert (Gretchen Weiners), Amanda Seyfried (Karen), and Daniel Franzese (Damian) all got together for the video to encourage their fans to donate. Although they were not all together in the video- it is really great that they all got together to celebrate the day for a good cause.

In other Mean Girls news Tina Fey was handing out Cheese Fries to promote Mean Girls: The Musical which will open up in the spring I believe... and I'm pretty sure I want to see it next year for my birthday... maybe I'll try seeing it on October 3rd that would be cool... but yeah that's a fun little Mean Girls update.

It has been confirmed that Disney will be making a Hocus Pocus remake as a Disney Channel Original Movie... I'm not all for this. I don't think Hocus Pocus will work with a different cast or actually as a kids movie in 2018... Half of the jokes in the movie they wouldn't be able to get away with nowadays... so I don't think they should really try. This is one I'd like to see a musical of- or even just a Disney Stage Show like what they have now for Mickey's not So Scary... but more focused on the Sanderson sisters and with a little more of a plot.

Disney is also making a Freaky Friday Musical... I'm a little more on board with that. Just for Disney Channel... but that sounds good to me.

Other Favorites 

I feel like the show Superstore is a lot better this season. I only kind of liked it before- but it's worth checking out this season. The first episode back was really really funny and I think there are some more good ones to come. If you go on one of the studio tours in California- you can actually see the set! I think it's a Universal Backlot tour... not 100% sure- I don't think it's the same as the one for the theme park... but I feel like that'd be really interesting.

There are new Disney Villain and Nightmare Before Christmas leggings from Lularoe and I'm obsessed. They have cute designs and I thought I'd mention that because Pop Culture right? I love reppin my favorite Pumpkin King on my legs!

I saw the funniest 80s parody Sesame Street video this week... I'll link it right here.

I'm also wanting to watch American Horror Story: Coven right now... that might actually be one of my favorite seasons because it feels the most halloween-ish!


6 Degrees of Tom Cruise 

I wanted to do another "segment" on this post... so I think I'll change it up every week. This week let's do 6 Degrees of Tom Cruise I'll take a celebrity and then connect them to Tom Cruise. This game is usually played with Kevin Bacon- but I don't know many Kevin Bacon Movies that well... and since Tom Cruise is in a movie that's out now... let's try to connect him!

Since It beat Tom Cruise's "American Made" I will link him to the original Pennywise- Sir Tim Curry (Tim Curry was knighted right? He should be.) 1- Tom Cruise is in American Made with Jayma Mays 2 Jayma Mays played Emma Pillsbury on Glee... who is obsessed with Rocky Horror and even sings a song from the musical on the show. I believe this is Mays' favorite movie of all time and I think she auditioned with it. That's not enough of a connection though... so let's just go with Ryan Murphy, the creator of Glee. 3- Ryan Murphy wrote the Screenplay of the movie Running With Scissors with Alec Baldwin 4- Baldwin starred as Geena Davis' husband in the movie Beetlejuice 5- Geena Davis was in Thelma and Louise with Susan Sarandon 6- Susan Sarandon was in The Rocky Horror Picture Show with Sir Tim Curry! Of corse- I could have skipped a few steps because Susan Sarandon was in Ryan Murphy's Feud... but yeah. Lol.

Alright now let's try an easy one... since Mean Girls Day was this week... Let's connect Tom Cruise to Lindsay Lohan! 1- Jesse Plemons is another one of Tom's Co-stars in American Made. 2- Plemons was in Breaking Bad's final season with Bryan Cranston 3-Bryan Cranston played Frankie Muniz's dad on Malcom in the Middle 4- Muniz was in Agent Cody Banks with Hillary Duff 5- Duff was in A Cinderella Story with Chad Michael Murray 6- Chad Michael Murray was in Freaky Friday with Lindsay Lohan!

And last but not least... let's go with Tom's ex wife and mother of his biological daughter- Katie Holmes- using only movies not who anyone's dated. Lol. 1- Let's start out with Tom's other ex wife- Nicole Kidman- who he costarred with in Eyes Wide Shut 2- Kidman was in The Hours with Meryl Streep 3- Streep was in August Osage County with Julia Roberts 4- Roberts was in Mona Lisa Smile with Maggie Gyllenhaal 5- Gyllenhaal was in The Dark Knight with Christian Bale as Rachel 6- The role of Rachel was originated by Katie Holmes in Batman Begins- also starring Christian Bale!

And there you have it! That was fun- hope you guys like this!

Byeee!
-Shannon



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scribbles About TV: Jane The Virgin Finale Review (SPOILERS)

So.... Can we talk about all the twists because there were a lot! I didn't even see all of them coming! Alrighty we start out in typical Jane The Virgin Mode with Jane's choice between Raphael and Michael... I'd be okay with either but I think I'm team Michael. Jane has a weird moment with Raphael and thinks she's better off without him and just having him be the father of her child. She's also starting to have some feelings for Michael again. Then she almost has the baby on the bus and some woman helps her and gets the bus driver to take her to the hospital. Rogellio and Xo are in Vegas and they get drunk and can't remember what happens, but they make it just in time to see Jane deliver a baby boy. I knew it would be a boy! Lets pause on that a little and go to Michael and his ex partner/friend with benefits who comes back says she has a lead on Sin Rostro, gives him an address where the plastic surgeon is and by the time Michael gets there, he's de

Disney Store Closing Haul

So if you read my post from yesterday- you know that I love The Disney Store, but it is unfortunately closing. I did pick up some things from the store that I thought I'd share with you guys! I did get a couple of t shirts. One is a Star Wars shirt, which is technically a men's shirt but I thought it looked really cool and I don't like that Disney doesn't carry the same things for men and for women. For the most part they look unisex to me and a lot of their men's stuff has characters I like better. Like the star wars shirt for women was grey with pink lettering and had no pictures, but the mens shirt had a really cool metallic silver logo on black clothing with pictures of all the new characters and Luke inside of the letters... much cooler! So I got that! The other shirt I got is really funny and it has Sleeping Beauty on it and it says "I Woke Up Like This." Which I really liked! Super cute and funny and my niece likes it when I wear shirts with c

Scribbles About Life: 3.10.16

Soooo... I don't really want to post about my day... but I don't really want to post anything else either. I started writing something about female characters in movies and TV... but I just didn't like what I was writing and... idk... I was a blog writing machine this week and now I feel defeated. I wrote a ton on Monday and Tuesday and now I just don't feel like doing a post today... but I want to write still... So I'll talk about things that I guess are on my mind lately... Idk. So I got this Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor... and for some reason... I'm addicted to the way that it smells. Idk why, it smells like cherry medicine... but I also sort of like it. Its more cherry than medicine... and I can't smell it on my lips... but Idk. I keep smelling it in the tube. I got some cute stuff from American Eagle yesterday too! I got a dress and a romper... I do not own any Rompers... except this one... but it looked good on me and it didn't make me look f